• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Coming soon

Shortdraw

Alaskan Guide
Minuteman
Aug 14, 2010
Kodiak, Alaska
Why not? I always am trying something a bit different, never satisfied with cookie cutter customs or factory rifles.
2z7ep13.jpg

jayk1x.jpg

A little machining left and then refinishing.

Re: Coming soon

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does it still run the trg bipod? </div></div>
Yes, it will take a TRG bipod. I could use the TRG mags but will be using the Alpha type2's instead. I can have three Alphas for the price of one TRG and they will work great with a spacer installed.

did you make bottom metal for this? Very cool project. What did you do with the TRG that was in that?

My TRG22 is untouched by this project. This one is a Kinetic Research Group Whiskey-3 Rem700 chassis backbone with a TRG stockset bolted on- well sort of. I had to machine the buttstock to clear the KRG trigger guard, machine the backbone to attach the forend, and a few tweaks to the backbone to clear the Stolle trigger hanger. I still have more machining to do for the trigger and I am hoping to fit a two stage Anschutz trigger. The KRG backbone is fairly close to the TRG one but of course already accepts AICS style mags. I can also bolt on the KRG folder as needed.
The barreled action has already proven itself with 5 shot groups in the .1" to .2" range. I am really excited to get this one finished. Like my other customs, a special mix of Cerakote for the metal is coming.

Looks great! Please keep us updated, especially once you have a range report.

-John

Holy %$#&ing %@&@!!!

That is some beautiful machine work. Absolutely stunning.

More details... barrel? What is the action itself? Sorry if it should be obvious to me, but I don't recognize action or bolt. Any in-process build or machining pictures?

That is just some amazing workmanship. Are you working on CNC machines or good old-fashioned Bridgeport and Lathe?

Cheers,

Sirhr

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mnshortdraw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My TRG22 is untouched by this project. This one is a Kinetic Research Group Whiskey-3 Rem700 chassis backbone with a TRG stockset bolted on- well sort of. I had to machine the buttstock to clear the KRG trigger guard, machine the backbone to attach the forend, and a few tweaks to the backbone to clear the Stolle trigger hanger. I still have more machining to do for the trigger and I am hoping to fit a two stage Anschutz trigger. The KRG backbone is fairly close to the TRG one but of course already accepts AICS style mags. I can also bolt on the KRG folder as needed.
The barreled action has already proven itself with 5 shot groups in the .1" to .2" range. I am really excited to get this one finished. Like my other customs, a special mix of Cerakote for the metal is coming. </div></div>

I like it! I had to look at it twice to notice that it was not a TRG, but a...ah hybrid? What exactly would you call it? I guess that is what you would get if a TRG and a rem 700(custom) got together and had a kid.

I never have seen that before. When I get off my butt I will be sending you a front bipod adapter to try out, hopefully in a week or so.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sirhrmechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Holy %$#&ing %@&@!!!

That is some beautiful machine work. Absolutely stunning.

More details... barrel? What is the action itself? Sorry if it should be obvious to me, but I don't recognize action or bolt. Any in-process build or machining pictures?

That is just some amazing workmanship. Are you working on CNC machines or good old-fashioned Bridgeport and Lathe?

Cheers,

Sirhr </div></div>
I'm afraid I can't take any credit whatsoever for the machining other than paying the bill. The backbone of the stock is by Kinetic Research Group (all CNC). It is the backbone from their Whiskey-3 chassis. The forend and buttstock are factory TRG items.
Action is a Stolle Atlas, it is a 700 clone. Barrel is a Hart heavy varmint 18 1/2" chambered in 7mm-08. The gunsmith who put the barreled action together is Dan Dowling of Accuracy Gunsmithing. He helped develop the 6mm Dasher along with other well known wildcat rounds. I got the barreled action from another member here. I had this in a different stock and it is just an amazing shooter. Load development consisted of one session and my second load printed 5 5 shot groups in the .1's to .2's. Velocity is a bit slower than my other 7-08 but what the heck.
I am actually shopping for a smith to finish it up now. I need to clearance for the Atlas trigger hanger, make a spacer for the magazine, and a spacer for the trigger guard. It is really close to being done.
My regular gunsmith, Jon Beanland, is going to Cerakote the metal and ARP is going to do the stock finishing. Both finishes are going to be one of a kind. To say I'm excited is an understatement.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: frankythefly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like it! I had to look at it twice to notice that it was not a TRG, but a...ah hybrid? What exactly would you call it? I guess that is what you would get if a TRG and a rem 700(custom) got together and had a kid.

I never have seen that before. When I get off my butt I will be sending you a front bipod adapter to try out, hopefully in a week or so. </div></div>
I appreciate it! I wanted one of your adapters as soon as you showed them.
A lot of folks will ask "why?" with this one. I figure I have always loved the ergonomics of the TRG. Why not have the feel with absolute benchrest quality accuracy, in a caliber not offered by Sako. Sure, I could rebarrel the TRG...
So many 700 clones out there in A-5's and such just are starting to all look the same to me.

Topic resurection here. How did this project turn out. I tried to pmmnshortdraw pm over limit bud.