• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Comments

175G

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 13, 2005
Dallas
Besides the fact that I am tremendously dehydrated and also sorta jumping a bit...any other observations? I dont shoot with anyone so feedback is always good. I took out seven and loaded five so I could see how I did on an empty round

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfH1tSoHmlM

Re: Comments

You're not following through and snapping the trigger... the muzzle brake is shaking the camera a bit so it is hard to say... but the trigger control needs work

The rifle is recoiling straight back so that looks good, aided by the muzzle brake, so the position is okay...

you need to follow through a bit more on the trigger, don't get a running start on it either, press it to the rear, allow the recoil pulse to end and then release.

IMAG0121-1.jpg

Also comment I am fairly straight I think but head very canted....but it is comfortable here and can see perfectly. I guess not the best pic to tell. Thanks (This is the AW)

SHOOTING GLASSES:

Sounds like you are shooting steel, whether or not that is the case or not you need shooting glasses.

I have one pair of glass with a piece of lead inbedded in the lense. I have a couple with powder residue inbedded in the lenses.

Most matches and ranges require them, some enforce the rules, some don't.

I do, no glasses no shooting on my range or a match I'm running.

The “vector summation” keeps the forces in line with each other the rifle did not appear to be “hopping”. The weight “straight behind” will help you spot your shots as you begin to stretch the distance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SHOOTING GLASSES:

Sounds like you are shooting steel, whether or not that is the case or not you need shooting glasses.

I have one pair of glass with a piece of lead inbedded in the lense. I have a couple with powder residue inbedded in the lenses.

I do, no glasses no shooting on my range or a match I'm running. </div></div>

Good point and consider doubling the ear pro in that the concussion of a rifle will bypass the plugs and can still cause damage. They are right there in front of you.....

Ok will have to try to shoot with them on it makes it considerably harder

looks like your trigger finger is moving really rapidly, almost a yank. when i shoot, i am saying in my head "front sight(or sight picture for scope), exhale, squeeze squeeze squeeze". once you commit to the shot move your finger SMOOTHLY, doesnt have to be fast. While the finger is creeping rearward TRY to keep the sight on target but dont get hung up on it not looking quite right, trust me as long as the trigger pull breaks smoothly the hits will happen. What happens is you "ambush" what looks like the perfect sight line up or picture and try to force the round off at that second, causing a yank of the trigger causing off shots, just things to concentrate on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">huh chiller, i couldnt hear you, whatdya say? </div></div>

That or you wont see it.....

In addition to what the other guys have said, I think you need to look at your position: your neck looks like it'd be complaining after a short time.

I can't tell from the video if the cheek piece on the rifle needs to go up or down, but something needs to happen there - your head should not be canted that much. This is service rifle stuff, but applicable - check out how plumb this shooter's head is positioned, compared to yours:
Open.jpg

Looks more comfortable, no? Try to get things moved around so you match. It looks like you're fitting yourself to the rifle. Take a look at what you can do to better fit the rifle to you. See what works! Dry fire is good here, but use equal live fire to see how you're absorbing the recoil. The best position with tight stock weld will soak up the most recoil. Don't do anything that sacrifices edge-to-edge clarity or consistency.

And, your non-firing hand should be grasping the rear bag, which looks like it needs to go further to the rear.
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SHOOTING GLASSES:

I do, no glasses no shooting on my range or a match I'm running. </div></div>

Sir, I was shooting paper the ring you hear was off the tube metal posts because of the break.

you are also shooting with a brake and given time you will be shooting next to people with brakes. They ALL bark and blow crap around (some worse than others). One of those things that you will be well served to get used to using them.

Several issues:
1. There rear bag(s) is(are) way too forward. It should be underneath the butt of the stock, and you should only need one. It doesn't look like your even using the rear bag for what its intended to do - which is microadjustments of your site picture on the target. Lower your bipod legs to lower the rifle. Then you won't be craning your neck.
2. Trigger control and follow through - that means when you pull the trigger back, try to do it as evenly and smooth as you can, and hold it longer when you feel the trigger break - that should be a 2.0 correct? That makes it even easier to do a correct follow through. When you start the trigger pull, your finger should be perpendicular (90 degree angle) to the trigger, and pull straight back slow and smooth.
3. Breathing - take a full breath cycle after each shot, and break the next shot (pull the trigger) right at the end of your normal expiratory phase. Break your shot at the same point in your breathing cycle every time.
I think these have all been covered in the online course, haven't they? (I don't subscribe.)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: UKDslayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Several issues:
1. There rear bag(s) is(are) way too forward. It should be underneath the butt of the stock, and you should only need one. It doesn't look like your even using the rear bag for what its intended to do - which is microadjustments of your site picture on the target. Lower your bipod legs to lower the rifle. Then you won't be craning your neck.
2. Trigger control and follow through - that means when you pull the trigger back, try to do it as evenly and smooth as you can, and hold it longer when you feel the trigger break - that should be a 2.0 correct? That makes it even easier to do a correct follow through. When you start the trigger pull, your finger should be perpendicular (90 degree angle) to the trigger, and pull straight back slow and smooth.
3. Breathing - take a full breath cycle after each shot, and break the next shot (pull the trigger) right at the end of your normal expiratory phase. Break your shot at the same point in your breathing cycle every time.ly 90*
I think these have all been covered in the online course, haven't they? (I don't subscribe.) </div></div>

Yes bag is wrong but as to lowering the bipod thats a joke I got the harris S-type for the specific reason it goes lower than any other and as you see it is fully lowered so you cannot get lower with a bipod I agree as Frank has said I am jerking the trigger but what you cannot see is my finger is perfectly 90* throughout I know because Ive sighted many times I am hitting the shot at the bottom of my breath...my group for ten shots was .5 MOA so...not arguing just saying trigger control yes but...

I'm sorry didnt mean to sound like a bitch UKD you are totally right I have very poor control with the rear bag certainly. Thank you for your other observations and I appologize if I wrote too hastily.

Cheers!

Good shooting, and ballsy to post a video for people to comment on. Good for you!
One thing I notices which is not huge, but will make a difference, is having your bipod back on the carpet your laying on. When you shoot a bipod off concrete, VS something with some traction, you get a different effect.
If you are shooting great that fast, I would try and work a couple of deep breaths and fire at the bottom of your respiratory pause. It makes a big difference, and teaches you to make every shot as though it were you last.
Keep up the positive learning curve.
P.S. The Online Learning will help a great deal with all the topics from A-Z, and is run by some huge brains.

Making friendly with ol' JD the night before? That's usually my deal. Lot cooler here in OH though..

The other guys have hit on the main points.

I don't think the head position is that big of a deal as long as it's comfortable. Some of our faces are built a bit differently and unless your scope is mounted on the side of the receiver it's going to be difficult to get your head vertical.

The key thing is you should not have neck tension when you are on the scope. You should be able to go to sleep on the rifle.

I am just glad to see you out shooting that thing. There are definitely not enough women in our sport. I have been trying to get my wife to train with me so I can get her into competition.

I was wondering if the cheek riser on your stock might be too high forcing you to cant your head over or the butt of the stock might not be high enough on your shoulder. I guess the bottom line is, if its comfortable for you and you're getting your hits, go with what works.

175, I won't comment on any shooting points because they have already been addressed. I would like to recommend some great shooting glasses by ESS (crossbow) these I think will serve you well in your shooting. I have two pairs just in case I misplace one pair.

175G, I agree with LoneWolfUSMC. Everything has been pointed out that could be. The rest is like picking fly crap out of pepper. If you want someone to critique your shooting, help you tackle the gnats 4th point of contact in details, and is close by, you can contact Hide Name: Captain Kick Ass. He runs North Texas Rifle Precision based out of McKinney, TX. This isn't a paid advertisement. I have gone to the range with this Gentleman, and his teaching method is AWESOME. He will custom tailor the lesson to what you are looking achieve, and he has the equipment to boot. He has a website www.northtexasrifleprecision.com. Give him a look.

Thanks all for your feedback I practiced all week on the trigger control breathing and rear bag (Triad got them super fast to me, TY) I tried a different head position and it didnt work so well but I suppose that will come with time. Ordered the glasses still reluctant on the double ear thing but I will work on that. Yes on-line training is invaluable and I will be going to RO shortly Im sure they will kick my ass in the appropriate manner. I appreciate everything you have taken the time to write and hope you will keep it up going forward

175G - the only ass kicking you will receive at RO is kick ass training and learning. Remedial training comes in the form of cases of Dos XX for Jacob or Red Bull for Frank. The wallet is a great teacher...

Cant stress enough about the glasses!

Glad to hear you have some on the way.

In the past year i have had a handful of .22LR ricochets miss my face by a piddly amount. I had one smack into the side of my earmuffs.

Also heard a few stories from range officers about being hit by some decent sized projectiles when they make their way back... and a couple of cars in the car park with shattered windows.

My main concern is reloads, but like its been said you only have one set of eyes and ears. Protect them girl!

Ok so this weekend, besides shooting with eye protection, I tried two different things one was I tried to get a better position and everything with rear bag (still haven't gotten it just right for an extended period of time yet) and the other was I dialed the scope way back so I could not see the impacts when I was shooting.

It was kind of an interesting day because while it was not very hot (only 96*) it was more windy (which probably didint matter so close) and I have never seen mirage quite like that through the scope before. Before I got off my first round (so it was not the barrel) looking through the scope looked like the targets were underwater very strange, maybe also I was wrong on the scope too.

When I first got there the guy that was shooting next to me had a supressed .308 AW which was very sweet and so I asked him if he didn't mind me shooting next to him with a break. He says no prob. then while Im setting up he pulls out his AW .338LM with a break and starts that up. So Im thinking "Oh I see how it is" At any rate he was very nice but took to on breaks spotting my target and then busting my metaphorical balls saying stuff like "I've seen a lot of people walk their shots into the center. I never see anyone really walk them out. You'll have to teach me that." and other such stuff which made it a little more fun

In chronological order below ten shots each group .308 Lapua 155gr @ 200. I think this is demonstrating I still am not controlling the rifle / dont have the best position. I will have to think about this and work on it I guess for next time. By the end of the day I was just shooting off my wrist and fist and not really with the rear bag so I obviously still need to fiddle with stuff. But at any rate here you are. Next time I will do dot drills Im just still trying to get my position right

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

You know what's the most impressive thing about your targets? Guys come on here with little three shot groups trying to show how shit hot they are and here you are posting 7-10 shot groups. You are kicking ass and will be a great shooter with continued practice.

Thanks 175 for setting the bar.

175G go get em girl!!! Don't be too hard on yourself, like Frank and Jacob always say it takes thousands of applications doing it "Right" to become muscle memory.

You got nothing to be down on yourself about!! Keep hammering em!!

Using video is a great way to understand what we do wrong and right.
Others can contribute, but I am pretty sure you are a tougher critics on yourself.

Put the camera level with the barrel and make sure you see the complete rifle, butt to muzzle.

Once it;s turned on, forget about it, let it roll and concentrate on what your doing.
When the shot feels right say it out loud to catch it on the vid.
Same with your mistakes.

Watch it on a big screen for a better view.

Changing the angle of the camera will allow you to "monitor" different aspect of your position.

PS; You were shooting pretty fast, because of the camera?

Good shooting, can't go wrong training at RO

Vertical dispersion is sign of not breaking at the place in the breathing cycle you want to break the shot at the bottom, not completely bottomed out but at the natural respiratory pause. As well you can have some inconsistencies with your shoulder, or grip on the rear bag as you stated. That can cause the shots to move in the vertical plane.

Horizontal dispersion is trigger control and/or natural point of aim, or a combination of this. If you see your shots going left and right of center it is a trigger issue more often then not -- which by your original video you have trigger issues.

Overall they are good targets - definitely better than most.

Where were you shooting at? Oh and thanks for posting, it also helps others learn from you as well.

I had gotten in the habit of shooting at about the pace I am in the first video and a little faster not really sure how exactly but I had been unfortunately I was a little more accurate but of course poor form. Since then I have been trying to shoot slower and focus on breathing trigger etc., however I haven't gotten that habitually yet so only consistent part of the time. Also I've tried to stop caring so much, I mean I do care, but not be so stressed over screwing up because then it makes it harder to be objective maybe. I am stringing both vertical and horizontal so it all needs work which I am certainly not afraid of. The video is a good idea I did this time of the target so I could watch it later and see how I was hitting, I should have done it earlier in the day as it was I waited till everyone left and by that time it was the last target of the day and I was shooting without a rear bag altogether which in retrospect was an extremely poor idea as my hand is a bit bruised and swollen today. You can see what I am talking about on the link below its HD so if you view in 720 or 1080 only do so if you are bored/have time to load. It ends at about 1:40 I just didn't chop it off right (8 shots) which is the point at which my hand was killing me and I felt done for the day.

I will work on this some more. I am lacking consistency with breathing/trigger so it will take some more time for sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1y_5joMgI24

Next time I will figure out a way to video both my own position as suggested above and the target so I can have a better idea

Additionally I learned Sunday that bringing your staplegun is good. Bringing your staplegun and extra staples is better. Hahaha

Thank you

And now for the obvious comment.....

Dry firing will let you concentrate on your position,breathing, sights and target, without the distraction of recoil and blast.

So shoots some more and will let you teach me in a few weeks...
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ssgp2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And now for the obvious comment.....

Dry firing will let you concentrate on your position,breathing, sights and target, without the distraction of recoil and blast.
wink.gif
</div></div>

+1
Did wonders for me

175G, you have a train load of help here. If time and funds allow, attend one of Rifles Only classes. If you are still in the Dallas area, they are but a days drive for you. Their training is well worth it. You have the quality rifle to do well, take the training to challange the limits of your gear.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 175G</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes bag is wrong but as to lowering the bipod thats a joke I got the harris S-type for the specific reason it goes lower than any other and as you see it is fully lowered so you cannot get lower with a bipod I agree as Frank has said I am jerking the trigger but what you cannot see is my finger is perfectly 90* throughout I know because Ive sighted many times I am hitting the shot at the bottom of my breath...my group for ten shots was .5 MOA so...not arguing just saying trigger control yes but...

I'm sorry didnt mean to sound like a bitch UKD you are totally right I have very poor control with the rear bag certainly. Thank you for your other observations and I appologize if I wrote too hastily.

Cheers! </div></div>

Just an FYI, but the Atlas will go to 4" with the legs at 45 degrees forward if you feel you need a lower bipod.

madd0c