• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Commercial Salmon fishing in AK - anyone done this?

kthomas

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 17, 2009
Tucson, AZ
Hey all,

In June of this summer, I will be helping out my brother in-law with his commercial salmon fishing venture up in Alaska. He has a small gill net boat he's been running for the past few summers, and was looking for help this summer so I volunteered. He operates in the Prince William Sound, in the Coghill River and by the Copper River, not far from Anchorage and Whittier. This will be my first time doing any sort of commercial salmon fishing, and first time in Alaska.

Has anyone done anything like this? And if so, any tips? Of course I've already talked with my BIL and got the scoop on what to expect and generally what sort of equipment/apparel I will need, but always curious to hear what others recommend based on their experiences.

In particular, if there is any clothing/apparel that you used that worked best, any items/equipment that you thought was a must have to help you survive a month + on a boat and make it more bearable, etc.

These were some of his recommendations for some gear:

- Grundens Gage jacket (already purchased, found one on sale for a bit over 50% off)
- Xtratuf boots
- Survival suit
- Life jacket (I already have an auto-inflate one that I will use)
- Moisture wicking and quick dry undergarments and clothes, avoid cotton (should already have most of this)
- Rain/water proof pants (already have some)
- Headlamps

I'm really looking forward to this adventure. I've spent a lot of time in isolation and on the open ocean and doing hard work in my past life in oil & gas, but this will definitely be a new adventure for me. Big bonus will be having a freezer stocked full of salmon after this, and probably some good stories!

Reactions: Barneybdb
I don't have any good recommendations on gear, but in my typical fashion, I can advise on food. Moose's Tooth and Arctic Roadrunner and my typical spots to hit every year on my way to Soldotna.

Reactions: kthomas
Oh wait- I do have a gear suggestion:

Leatherman wingman (spring loaded) on a bungee lanyard
9" Bubba Blade standard flex. They do wonders on salmon.

Oh wait- I do have a gear suggestion:

Leatherman wingman (spring loaded) on a bungee lanyard
9" Bubba Blade standard flex. They do wonders on salmon.

Those Bubba Blades look nice! The tapered flex looks more like the filet knives I'm used to, is this the model you are recommending?

sorry- I've been using the 7" tapered flex for a few years and it's been great. This will be the first year with the 9" flex and I'm expecting it to do even better than the 7. Either way, I'll think you'll like them. Salmon are pretty slimy so the handles are very convenient and the blades have been holding up really well.

Have done a bit of commercial fishing but only in Australia, a bit different to Alaska, even in summer. Regarding multi tools, I have found Gerber to be much easier to use, can access the main implements with one hand.

For pants, get the Gründens or Helly Hansen commercial type.
The type we tend to wear for other outdoor activities arent the best for that work.

Work out a lot. Be very fit going in. That is a brutal and punishing job. Being way out of shape would suck I think.

I wasn't on a boat. Did work doing some processing, both custom and big commercial stuff.
I had a better job that filleting fish 12-14 hrs a day, but was still nasty, wet, and cold a good part of the day. I can imagine the boats

@barneybdb - the Gerbers are easy. Leatherman is made in the USA. You know which brand I run....?

Other big tip, use something besides meth, coke, or Adderal to keep you awake on the back to back 20 hr days....
It is quite pervasive in that world.