• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Common factory action problems?

WVshooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 21, 2012
NC
Search bar isn't giving me quite what I'm looking for so I'll take any links or answers anyone cares to offer.

Questions: What are the most common problems with running a factory 700 rifle in competitions?

When do you think it is time to just build a custom rifle vs. having a factory action blueprinted and re-barreled?

I have a lightly modified 5r Milspec I have posted about before that I consider to be an exceptional shooter for a factory rifle. Best performance to date has been a .260 4 shot group at 100 yards with FGMM 175, and about a 4.5" group at 635 yards. Most of the time I average sub .500 5 shot groups. This is all perfect condition shooting.

I have been wanting to try my hand at precision rifle matches and from what I've seen people tend to run their guns hard and in all kinds of conditions at those matches. So in regards to my two questions, what kind of problems are commonly encountered when you start running a factory 700 hard, running the bolt fast, shooting lots of rounds, getting them dirty, etc?

And of course the second question is when is it better to build a whole new gun to shoot matches with vs. tuning up a factory action and installing a new barrel?

Thanks for any insight or links to previous threads.

The bolt knob attachment isn't all that secure and the extractor is weak. The factory trigger in some years is capable of failing causing an AD and with the slit in the stock for the safety freezing rain can seize it up. The firing pin also is unrestrained when the weapon is safed.

The bolt knob attachment isn't all that secure and the extractor is weak. The factory trigger in some years is capable of failing causing an AD and with the slit in the stock for the safety freezing rain can seize it up. The firing pin also is unrestrained when the weapon is safed.
Extractor? Yet the same one is used by most on their beloved surgeons. The action won't slow you down. As long as you have a good dbm setup and the stock/chassis fits you well for a variety of positions then you'll be fine. Get a good bolt knob on it too and you're all set

The only problem I have ever had was caused by me. I had a couple stuck cartridges at the cup 3 years ago. The root cause of the stuck case was the sizing lube I left on the brass. This attracted all kinds of dust which once the round fired, secured the case in the chamber.

Now I SSM wash my brass after sizing, clean my mags before a match, clean my chamber at least in the evening if not at lunch too, and cover my eject port/stuff a sock in the mag well when my gun is grounded between stages.

The extractor was not the root cause. I have no idea if an M16 style extractor would have removed the case.

I also had a bunch of 1000 grit dust in the trigger that increased the pull weight to 9 pounds. I wouldn't blame the trigger either. It's a tuned old school Remington that is properly tuned so it won't AD unless I ND it.

I shot a match in the rain. My bolt surface rusted where the parkerizing wore off and the trigger was kind of fucked too.

I would say rebarrel your 5R in a competition caliber and shoot it a season. You will meet a lot of people who have a bunch of different stuff that way. Most I have encountered are excited to show off their gun and might let you light a few off. You will get a better idea of what you like that way so in the future you can make a more informed decision about your purchase. Maybe you will be just fine with your Remington action but want a different stock or a chassis or a different barrel length or profile. It's a good way to make friends too.

Last edited:
No problem at all running a factory action. Most will choose a aftermarket action over factory on a complete build, meaning from the ground up. A factory Rem action needs a little work to true up, and the cost often approaches a full custom action, but I have also seen custom actions that are not perfect. A custom action will give you many more options, built in recoil lugs and rails, side mag release, extractors, looks and styles. As mentioned, there is also the cool factor of a custom action, but many of these features are skin deep.

If you have a existing rifle that shoots, I suggest you shoot it, if you want to run comps, run it. When the barrel goes or you get to a point were you feel the caliber or barrel performance is hindering you, I would not hesitate to use it in a build, it is still very capable.

The most common problem with running a factory 700 or even a blueprinted one is people's ego.

I don't know of a smith that would chamber a factory action without at least checking to see if it is true. They are the ones that take the heat if the gun doesn't shoot.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. It's already got a timney trigger, a badger knob, and a manners stock with DBM so it sounds like short of ripping off the bolt handle or breaking an extractor it's at least not just a time bomb.
I figured in tactical precision rifle matches people probably abuse their guns more than I would just shooting at steel prone. I know of a couple matches around here. Woody's is one and another one just up in Virginia. I'm not sure of any others in the area right now.

So many people seem to go the full custom route for their tactical rifles I was beginning to wonder if 700's just start to fall apart when you start yanking on them and getting them dirty or if it's just the type-A thing to do because you know, a factory action just won't cut it. I didn't know if it's common to see guys show up with factory actions and bomb a match from things going wrong. Of course I'll generally take any excuse to buy a new rifle or gear which generally doesn't help my shooting, but does tend to get the wife mad at me.

I don't know of a smith that would chamber a factory action without at least checking to see if it is true. They are the ones that take the heat if the gun doesn't shoot.

I wasn't comparing untrued vs trued. But, factory vs custom.

Typically, R700's and Savages each have issues in the hands of handloaders.

The R700's can lose bolt levers when an overly hot round locks up the bolt. Savages can get stuck ejectors and lose extractors when an overly hot round blows out a primer.

Neither of these events are consequences of bad actions, they clearly demonstrate poor reasoning on the part of a handloader.

...And by the way, IMHO, a trued action is a custom.

Greg