• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Common reloading powder selection for 308Win and 6.5Creedmoor

thexman

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 24, 2018
Are these the most common powder used in reload for 308win and 6.5creedmoor?
Hodgdon H4350
Hodgdon H4895
Hodgdon Varget
IMR 4064
IMR 4350
IMR 4895
Reloder-15
Reloder-17

Anything else?

I noticed most of the Hodgdon and IMR powders above can be used on both calibers. Not sure if people use different powder for different weight of projectile or combine with different primer? Or they are pretty much interchange for 308win and 6.5creedmoor loads(just need to make sure not mix up the maximum load weight for each powder)?

Thank you.

Reactions: Mj30wilson900
Hodgdon BL(C)2. And you can run IMR 7828 SSC. Hodgdon LeverEvolution, is damn-near identical burn rate to Varget... Just tiny spherical ball, instead of large kernels, like Varget.

Varget.

Best suited for 123s or 130s in the Creedmoor, and you'll give up a bit of velocity relative to H4350, but it'll work well.

Reactions: thexman
What is common for the 308 is not common for the Creedmoor.

308- Varget, RL15, 4064,

Creedmoor IMR, H, or AA4350, RL17
Thanks, the reason I said that is because I saw in the powder, many mentioned 308win even some are more suitable for 6.5creedmoor.

When you choose powder, how critical the primer is?

If you're looking to source other powders, look at a burn rate chart. Find a powder close to a known appropriate powder and check the manufacturer for load data for your application.

308:
H4895, IMR4895, IMR3031, IMR4064, RL15, Varget, Shooters World Match Rifle, CFE223, Hodgdon Benchmark, AA4064.

6.5 Creedmoor:
H4350, AA4350, IMR4350, Ramshot Hunter, RL16, RL17, Superformance, 6.5 Staball, SW Precision Rifle, H4831.

Reactions: smtitmelevi
I've burned a lot of TAC in my 308 ARs. Works well for my uses, but I'm NOT one of these precision shooting type individuals.

308- N202, Varget, IMR 4064, H & IMR 4895,

6.5 CM- IMR&H4350, RL16, RL26, IMR4451

Reactions: JD. martin
Also 4166 when you can find it, use it with the 120’s.

You won’t go wrong using the primer that’s listed in the load data source. However, if you want to switch brands or even switch to a “magnum” primer, to be safe, just lighten the load a little and work back up.
Thank you sir. Really helpful advise.

Are these the most common powder used in reload for 308win and 6.5creedmoor?
Hodgdon H4350
Hodgdon H4895
Hodgdon Varget
IMR 4064
IMR 4350
IMR 4895
Reloder-15
Reloder-17

Anything else?

I noticed most of the Hodgdon and IMR powders above can be used on both calibers. Not sure if people use different powder for different weight of projectile or combine with different primer? Or they are pretty much interchange for 308win and 6.5creedmoor loads(just need to make sure not mix up the maximum load weight for each powder)?

Thank you.
Buy a reloading data book or two.

Youre welcome

Reactions: JHOFF
Buy a reloading data book or two.

Youre welcome
For sure a reloading book would be handy for learning essential reloading knowledge and some non up to date infomation.

But I guess, on top of that, keep eyes on the new reloading data from online resources and share experience with the community would cover what the book won't have.

Thank you.

I disagree. Hodgon, which offers data for HODGDON, IMR, and WINCHESTER powders, and Alliant (Reloader) have online load data sites that have everything you will get buying a book. The book will be obsolete in 2 years whereas the websites continuously get updated. Most bullet manufacturers will give you load data if you call them.

Reloading Data Books are a thing of the past.
Yeah, you're right, books are outdated. Good thing all information will always be available on the internet, just ask Parler.

Books are for reference, a baseline. Something to refer to. I got one book for each brand bullet and powder I shoot because you never know if/when things might not be available by other mediums.

Food for thought.

I disagree. Hodgon, which offers data for HODGDON, IMR, and WINCHESTER powders, and Alliant (Reloader) have online load data sites that have everything you will get buying a book. The book will be obsolete in 2 years whereas the websites continuously get updated. Most bullet manufacturers will give you load data if you call them.

Reloading Data Books are a thing of the past.
Agrees.

I do find not everything covered from the book, that's why I thought asking my question here, clarify my confusion and get some updated info from the experts.

I would say a new reloader would 100% benefit from a reloading handbook. For reference, shell plate charts, cartridge specs, and load data at your fingertips a book doesn’t require electricity or an internet connection to access. A stroke of a pen can make online reloading references illegal. I don’t see the gestapo going door to door for book burning being as likely.

Reactions: Ison
I use the net for reference, I still like books too. I will print off the web and write notes in the books. I have lost info with phone/computer crapping out. I also run a reloading log book with caliber specific info.

And lost all the above with a house fire. Books/web as long as you blow the rifle up or worse. Is there a wrong answer?

Last edited:
Books do tend to have pretty good how-to information and are a good way to double check the validity of what you see in the opinion forums. It nice to have a readily available source of reliable info for something like considerations regarding loading for gas guns versus bolt. I have a Sierra book, a Berger book, a Hornady book, a Nosler book and some pamphlets for single cartridges....largely because I started reloading before the internet was what it is now and when I was new, I thought I needed to have a book reference for every single specific bullet/powder/primer combo. I haven’t looked at any of them in years as none of them reference the cartridges I now shoot nor do they include any of the powders manufactured in the last five years. They are COMPLETELY OBSOLETE for anything I do. If you are going to load .308 with IMR 4064, fine. It’s a great combo. I’m not going to buy new reference manuals every couple of years when a quick phone call to Berger or a forum search on the Hide will get me any info I need. I would not council a new reloader to go buy books for .308 or 6.5CM loading. The info is widely available from trustworthy sources that are free.
Books are pretty much irrelevant once you collect real world data and experience for your setups. Once you understand/master all the concepts, the basic information in the books is essentially not needed. But, they are a highly condensed source of information in one spot which can be referenced for years. If things keep going the way they are heading right now...the information available on the internet as we know it right now may not be available. So, either take great notes, or buy books, or both, and log your real world test data for reference.

Burn Rate Chart New.jpg

cfe 223 in my 308 will push the 195tmk over 2700fps accurately Pressure is at 2810. CFE 223 with 100-130 class bullets cannot be beat for velocity so far but I have not tried MR2000 yet. I have run 123 smk's at 3010 accurately but pressure signs at at 3030 so warmer weather could be an issue.
Optimum for both individually will not be good for the other.
Also the 215 berger I have not done any load testing due to a 12tw however the speeds are damm close to the 195 and I's sure in a 10 I can match or exceed the 195tmk speeds with cfe 223

cfe 223 in my 308 will push the 195tmk over 2700fps accurately Pressure is at 2810. CFE 223 with 100-130 class bullets cannot be beat for velocity so far but I have not tried MR2000 yet. I have run 123 smk's at 3010 accurately but pressure signs at at 3030 so warmer weather could be an issue.
Optimum for both individually will not be good for the other.
Also the 215 berger I have not done any load testing due to a 12tw however the speeds are damm close to the 195 and I's sure in a 10 I can match or exceed the 195tmk speeds with cfe 223
Thank you sir.

I was wondering what weight of bullet each of those powders would be best for.

For match ammo I shoot H4350 in my 6.5CM with 140gr bullets, and Varget in .308 (168 to 185gr) and .223 (69 to 80gr). For .223 practice / plinking / rough zeroing ammo I use either WW748 or H335 and 55gr bullets, because accuracy isn't as critical and they meter soooooo much better than stick powders (although my new-ish Chargemaster Lite alleviates that pain considerably, but throwing charges of 748 or 335 on my Dillon is still a lot faster than measuring them on the Chargemaster). I'm going to give CFE223 a try one of these days.

OP, for whatever it may be worth, I've had fantastic results in 6.5 Creedmoor with H4350 and Reloder 16 amd Reloder 17 with 130-147 grain bullets, and with Reloder 26 with 140+ bullets. With 308 I used IMR 4064 and Varget with 175 Matchkings with great results.

Wonder anyone uses heavy bullets for 308? 180gr or plus weight. Need to change powder if not Varget?

Or
Yeah, you're right, books are outdated. Good thing all information will always be available on the internet, just ask Parler.

Books are for reference, a baseline. Something to refer to. I got one book for each brand bullet and powder I shoot because you never know if/when things might not be available by other mediums.

Food for thought.or the power is out!