• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Communications for 1st rifle ?

Snafu12

Private
Minuteman
Aug 30, 2006
Parrish FL
Resent post have me wondering it I have cover all that needs to be covered?

Rifle will be used for
300 yard F Class
500 yrd clay bird match
1K 10" steel match

True Remington action, chamber (260 Rem) and install Bartlien barrel (Supplied)
A) Throat. Thinking 120s and 142s......... mainly 142 SMK
B) Holland lug. (Not supplied)
C) Finished barrel to match McMillan inletting. Straight shank to extend approximately 3” in font of receiver
D) Finish length to be the maximum allowable after above is established
E) Standard Vais break with 5/8x32 threads installed. (not supplied) Break tapered to barrel see photo.
F)Thread protector for above
G) Pillar Bed
Single color Duracoat or Moly on barrel action including the rings and base, Scope.
Tan

Supplied

Rem SA 700 243
Bartlein 6.5 barrel
McMillan A5 inletted for barrel as stated above and Pacific Tool Tactical steel bottom
Leopold Mk4
Pacific Tool Tactical steel bottom
Seekins Precision 20 moa base and rings

Re: Communications for 1st rifle ?

Looks all good but, if you are going to be shooting from prone a lot, I would rethink the Vias brake. It has holes all around the brake and will kick up more dust than brakes with holes on the side angled upwards like the Badger Truster brake.

For the dust factor. I have a Vias brake and I use an old carpet scrap (aprox 3' X 3') thrown down in front of the firing line.

It was muddy the first time I shot it prone. ... Don't ask how I thought of the carpet.

I would skip the brake. 260s are not known to kill your shoulders.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would skip the brake. 260s are not known to kill your shoulders. </div></div>

Not about that
I shoot alone
Want to be able to spot shots for correction

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Snafu12</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would skip the brake. 260s are not known to kill your shoulders. </div></div>

Not about that
I shoot alone
Want to be able to spot shots for correction
</div></div>

you will be fine without the brake, its all in your NPA, and how you load the bipod, that will reduce muzzle jump. With my M40A3 i can effectivly spot my own shots at 600 or under. Havent tried any further.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Victor N TN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mine is on a 300 WM w/ 26" barrel. </div></div>

You showed me that .300 when Shirley and I visited. I was all agog over it. Nice rifle, to be sure. If its mudslinging bothers you too much, I would be glad to pick it up and keep it at my house for some therapy. Could probably have that problem worked out in 4 or 5 years.

Anything to help a friend out.

david

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nashlaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Victor N TN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mine is on a 300 WM w/ 26" barrel. </div></div>

You showed me that .300 when Shirley and I visited. I was all agog over it. Nice rifle, to be sure. If its mudslinging bothers you too much, I would be glad to pick it up and keep it at my house for some therapy. Could probably have that problem worked out in 4 or 5 years.

Anything to help a friend out.

david </div></div>

If I were going to loan it to someone, I wouldn't have a problem with it being you.