• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

comp for older guys??

Ha!
And who's gonna help me up?
I've only competed in it once. All I know is that it started out for the old guys as an alternative to high power competition.

Regarding high power competition. IIRC, exemptions are made for the various shooting positions for competitors that are handicapped.

How serious is your mobility problem? You didn't go into any detail.

I've only competed in it once. All I know is that it started out for the old guys as an alternative to high power competition.

Regarding high power competition. IIRC, exemptions are made for the various shooting positions for competitors that are handicapped.

I'm not the OP but both knees are foooked and don't respond well to being pressed into the ground, and if I go prone for too long, I'll probably be dealing with a sciatica flare-up the following day. Oh, and both elbows have bone-spurs or what-not so hope elbow-pads are in the rules.

And to the OP, benchrest? Steel challenge, if your shoulders are still good.

Don't be afraid to ask to shoot stages and such differently. I.E., if shooting F class, ask to shoot off a bench. If shooting PRS, ask to modify your positions or use a tripod on some things.

I'm assuming (I apologize if wrong), that you're likely not going to be in the running to win matches with mobility issues. So there should be no one objecting to you doing the best you can. Almost no match is giving away enough money or prizes to a winner.....which means almost everyone is there to have fun.

I'd be shocked if you had much issue with MD's allowing this. Personally, if I'm running a squad at a match and there is someone with mobility issues or other things, I'll let them do pretty much whatever they want (even at times not putting them on a timer) as long as it doesn't slow the squad down that will slow the entire match down. I've had a couple douchebags in squads mumble something negative and just tell them where they can go. And I've never had an MD have a problem with it when I tell the MD what I did.

It's better for everyone if everyone there is having a good time.

I walk very slowly! Like I am drunk on my a$$.

Reactions: UKDslayer
Benchrest tactical for the gerries. See if they have them in your region. Pretty popular on mid east coast.
I am located in Athens GA. home of the DAWGS...so comps in my area are my preference. I can't do the run and gun type comps. At the range I shoot from the bench.

I am located in Athens GA. home of the DAWGS...so comps in my area are my preference. I can't do the run and gun type comps. At the range I shoot from the bench.
My advice would be to go to a PRS match and shoot what you feel comfortable with. I’d invite you to try the Clinton house matches put on by Tommy Goodson, or cool acres. PM me and I’ll partner up with you to help out/advise.

My advice would be to go to a PRS match and shoot what you feel comfortable with. I’d invite you to try the Clinton house matches put on by Tommy Goodson, or cool acres. PM me and I’ll partner up with you to help out/advise.
Isn't PRS a run and gun event? I don't want to hold up folks behind me.
I have a Sako TRG and a Tikka T3x but the recoil has become a bit much.
I have gone to. 22lr and really enjoy it.

There certainly are aspects of speed, but not on all stages. My attitude has always been focusing on the impacts not the speed.

Any gun will suffice for a first match.

There's almost no run and gun in PRS. You'll be in a squad of 5-10 shooters. You'll start on a stage. Most stages have some movement, but nothing crazy and almost never any running. We are talking pick up your rifle, move a couple feet and put it back down. You'll be on a timer. 90sec or 2min depending. So you can't really hold up anyone behind you.

Once everyone is done with that stage, you'll take your stuff and walk to the next stage, which is generally 20-100yds away. Then you'll rinse and repeat. You can bring a cart and I'm sure people will have no issue helping you move your gear.

They have PRS and NRL rimfire matches which are basically the same as centerfire in the way they are run and movement.

I've routinely had shooters in their 70's and older who don't move well. We just help them with their stuff, and let them shoot whatever positions they are comfortable with for the 2min timer. If you can't do kneeling, don't. If you can't move that well, just stay on the first position you can shoot and shoot all 10 rounds.

There's almost no run and gun in PRS. You'll be in a squad of 5-10 shooters. You'll start on a stage. Most stages have some movement, but nothing crazy and almost never any running. We are talking pick up your rifle, move a couple feet and put it back down. You'll be on a timer. 90sec or 2min depending. So you can't really hold up anyone behind you.

Once everyone is done with that stage, you'll take your stuff and walk to the next stage, which is generally 20-100yds away. Then you'll rinse and repeat. You can bring a cart and I'm sure people will have no issue helping you move your gear.

They have PRS and NRL rimfire matches which are basically the same as centerfire in the way they are run and movement.

I've routinely had shooters in their 70's and older who don't move well. We just help them with their stuff, and let them shoot whatever positions they are comfortable with for the 2min timer. If you can't do kneeling, don't. If you can't move that well, just stay on the first position you can shoot and shoot all 10 rounds.
Where is the Clinton House? I know about Cool Acres.

There’s some local bench rest clubs around my area but it seems to be dying out. I’ve squaded with an older gentleman a couple times at the local PRS matches. His mobility made him time out every stage, however he was there to shoot what he could and had a good time. Like mentioned above, it’s generally just good people making sure EVERYONE is having fun—while being safe.

Here's some info on what we're doing with rimfire. Tactical benchrest.

Like mentioned above, try and find a PRS 22 match near you. I run them down in central Florida and we always get some senior shooters. Hell, I’m 64 and have to wear knee pads. Most local matches are more about fun than about caring if you are 100% perfect.

It’s true that I’m pretty wiped out afterwards, but I also set up, run and breakdown after the match, so it’s a good day. I recommend it for a try if you can find one in your area.

There are a number of good PRS22 matches throughout Georgia. When I get back to where I can get Wi-Fi tomorrow I’ll see what’s going on around Athens.

Reactions: stradibarrius
Thanks to everyone who has responded so far, and are trying to help. I'm thankful for the info and ideas. Hope there is a comp or two for me to attend

Reactions: Haney
Here’s a snapshot of the essentially off-season matches remaining in PRS22 Southeast region. Real season won’t start up until next year. This is a poor reception photo from my phone, so not the best, but gives you an idea.

1699830668120.png

I bet there is something local for you.

Usually bench rest, but the other side in these parts is Schuetzen shooting. Its 22s on paper at 100 yards, iron sight or scope, rested up front or offhand. Only 5 or 10 shots for each targets score so its elderly friendly.

Also silhouette shooting can be fun if they will not make you lay down, depends on how serious the comp is.

Shotgun sports are usually from a single spot so once you walker up there you only have to turn it around, sit and shoot.

Reactions: lash
I bet there is something local for you.

Usually bench rest, but the other side in these parts is Schuetzen shooting. Its 22s on paper at 100 yards, iron sight or scope, rested up front or offhand. Only 5 or 10 shots for each targets score so its elderly friendly.

Also silhouette shooting can be fun if they will not make you lay down, depends on how serious the comp is.

Shotgun sports are usually from a single spot so once you walker up there you only have to turn it around, sit and shoot.

This sounds great. Bench rest sounds good. What is Schuetzen?

This sounds great. Bench rest sounds good. What is Schuetzen?
Old school sport that you dont hear too much about anymore which our club has modernized a bit, we now have target cams etc instead of pointers since everyone is old and the kids arent coming around as much or as reliably to point targets.

Only exercise is walking up to the line, or rolling for our wheel chair guy, and holding the rifle if you want to shoot offhand. For rest you can set the front of the rifle on a board.

Last edited:
I will second on Silhouette. The only part there, is that you have to go down range to reset your targets for the next shooter. Our club has been having 3 relays of 8 shooters for the NRA Smallbore Lever action/Hunter Pistol matches. The good part is that even the Ram (100m) targets are not very heavy so everyone can set them.

My son resetting Pig at 3 years old 😁

AB79B16A-8A30-43DE-A8C7-2D6423508F46.jpeg

Reactions: Longshot231