• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk Comp range bag

BigJohn141

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2011
Timnath, Co
Just wondering what everyone was using to haul gear around at matches. I have an Eberlestock backpack with sleeve I use on occasion and a smaller range bag at other times. I was wanting something a little bigger and needed some ideas.

We shoot on a pretty manicured range. I'll be using a cart this year at local matches. Otherwise I have a MR 3DAP and a Kifaru 22 Mag for matches where the cart isn't feasible.

Definitely check out Fehu outdoors. It’s a small shop but run by a seasoned PRS shooter this bag is purpose built for matches. He’s running on back orders I believe but it’ll be worth the wait.

I use an Eberlestock Fac Track with a couple 2 liter accessory pouches on each side. It's loaded with all my match gear so when I go to a match i just put in ammo and it's ready to go. Easy to pop on my back and move around a match.

I am liking the look of the Eberlestock R3 Uprange and the Fehu bag. I was looking at using a large camera bag pretty similar to the R3

I think I have decided to go a little different route and go with an Eberlestock Bang bang range bag. I like the center organization, end pockets, the ease of attaching a tripod, and I like that it’s a shoulder bag and not a back pack.

I've recently got a Direct Action Dragon Egg pack and it's everything I have ever wanted in a match pack.

Two things I always struggled with was:
-packs being too big and not carrying nicely unless full.
-organisation for all the small/loose items that you need/might need.

The pack is big enough to carry everything I need with a little bit of room to spare, and the organizational/admin pocket is fantastic.

There is now an enlarged version of the pack that would probably be the better way to go if you like to carry lots of crap, but the standard size is great if you don't.

97BB8CDF-5B73-4445-8F33-4FA105CEF5FB.jpeg
Kifaru Shape Charge

I like it

The FAC Track has a large pocket on each side running the length of the pack which can hold a tripod also. Take a look st the video.

Reactions: Birddog6424
The FAC Track has a large pocket on each side running the length of the pack which can hold a tripod also. Take a look st the video.

That one does look nice as well. I’m trying to keep the size down to just what I need. I still have a bad habit of packing extra stuff if there is room. I might need my bench vise in the middle of a match, might as well bring it if I have room 🤣

Yup I do too and why it's just big enough for what I need and not for anything I don't. ;)

I have been using an Eberlestock Upranger since it hit the market a few years ago. I know several fellas I shoot with are now using it as well.

Eberlestock is based right here in Boise Idaho. Pretty good gear. They usually drop 5 or 6 really nice packs on my PRS Pro Series match prize table that I have every May. Pretty great supporters of the shooting sports.

Reactions: CK1.0 and Rob01
I have been using an Eberlestock Upranger since it hit the market a few years ago. I know several fellas I shoot with are now using it as well.

Eberlestock is based right here in Boise Idaho. Pretty good gear. They usually drop 5 or 6 really nice packs on my PRS Pro Series match prize table that I have every May. Pretty great supporters of the shooting sports.

My lo-drag has been going strong for years now. I just don’t use the sleeve much these days.

My lo-drag has been going strong for years now. I just don’t use the sleeve much these days.

Yeah I have my Lo Drag too but don’t really use it much anymore. I never really used the sleeve and why I like the FAC Track better without one.

That one doesn’t look bad at all. I can haul the tripod in the giant water bottle pockets and get a camera organizer for the inside. Plus their store is only about an hour from me.
I am running that exact shape charge now. Its a good bag, but its a little small to get everything in there. Its why I would move up to the 357 mag or even the Minikeg. The side poket is great for a tripod as long as its not a 2 leg version. I shot another match with this this weekend and my new 2 legg tripod would not work with side pocket the same way the older 3 sections would.

I would highly reccomend getting a Kifaru over elberstock. One is imported shit and one is made in the US. I have a few elberstocks i bought years ago before I knew better. They sit in a corner of my gun room becuase I cant even resell them, no one wants that shit. They are heavy, not greatly designed and not comfortable to wear. Kifaru is a different level, but you will pay for it. Its just money, you can always make more.

I am running that exact shape charge now. Its a good bag, but its a little small to get everything in there. Its why I would move up to the 357 mag or even the Minikeg. The side poket is great for a tripod as long as its not a 2 leg version. I shot another match with this this weekend and my new 2 legg tripod would not work with side pocket the same way the older 3 sections would.

I would highly reccomend getting a Kifaru over elberstock. One is imported shit and one is made in the US. I have a few elberstocks i bought years ago before I knew better. They sit in a corner of my gun room becuase I cant even resell them, no one wants that shit. They are heavy, not greatly designed and not comfortable to wear. Kifaru is a different level, but you will pay for it. Its just money, you can always make more.

I’m really thinking about running down to Denver to their shop and checking them out. It’s hard to tell sizes from pictures sometimes, better in person. I don’t mind paying a little extra for something that is right and will last forever.

Used an Eberlestock Hi speed most of the year last year, moved to a eberlestock little brother for the remainder and to now, but i just ordered a H31 Bandit the other day. Should be much smaller than the Little brother. Im going to slim down what im hauling around to fit into the Bandit. I hate having a 45lb + pack when i dont need all that shit.

I’m really thinking about running down to Denver to their shop and checking them out. It’s hard to tell sizes from pictures sometimes, better in person. I don’t mind paying a little extra for something that is right and will last forever.
Yea buddy, if you can I would do that. Take all your match gear with you too, I would bet they let you try it out and see how it weighs/fits.

Ive spent thousands in bags over the years before realizing to just buy the good shit up front. The designs, weight and comfort is well worth it. Same with EXO and Stone Glaicier. You really cant go wrong with any of them.

Iv been a kifaru fan since the days that they only had a few packs and they took 3 months to get.

Iv got a 14r currently that I use for matches and it’s alright, but I don’t care for the center zip not opening at the top. For that reason I wouldn’t buy a mini keg for strictly a rifle pack.

Iv been wanting a 357 mag. I can’t stomach the price when I have two other packs at home that are serviceable. I use a gun bearer for carrying even my heavy match gun without problems on the beefed up suspension of the 14r so I’m sure the 357 would be even better.

Had an eberlestock pack long ago that made my hips bleed on a hunting trip. Premium price for overseas gear. Everyone’s got to decide how they want to spend their money but it’s nice buying a US made berry compliant pack kifaru is a good choice.

The first gen Kifaru 22 Mag is a pretty good option, I reckon - main bag is something like 1600 CI / 26 liter, and it has two 700 CI / 11 liter open long side pockets.

If you don't need the side pockets, they just sit flat. But they work well for a tripod on one side, and fast-access gear that can be exposed (such as rain gear, rolled up lightweight shooting mat for mud, etc.

Main bag has a horseshoe zipper, so the whole bag opens, but is more accessible than the 14'r's center zip.

You can also control exactly how much of the main flap opens by having the compression straps in place - leave only open one, and just the top of the flap opens; open both for full access.

Only drawback I've experienced is that stuff in the inside side pockets, which butt onto the back of the exterior pockets, can get jammed up if the outer pockets are packed full and/or have bulky items.

Like @DeathBeforeDismount, I'm keen to get a 357 Mag to try - similar main bag size, but the side pockets are enclosed. Hard to know if that's a positive or negative without really running it.

The first gen Kifaru 22 Mag is a pretty good option, I reckon - main bag is something like 1600 CI / 26 liter, and it has two 700 CI / 11 liter open long side pockets.

If you don't need the side pockets, they just sit flat. But they work well for a tripod on one side, and fast-access gear that can be exposed (such as rain gear, rolled up lightweight shooting mat for mud, etc.

Main bag has a horseshoe zipper, so the whole bag opens, but is more accessible than the 14'r's center zip.

You can also control exactly how much of the main flap opens by having the compression straps in place - leave only open one, and just the top of the flap opens; open both for full access.

Only drawback I've experienced is that stuff in the inside side pockets, which butt onto the back of the exterior pockets, can get jammed up if the outer pockets are packed full and/or have bulky items.

Like @DeathBeforeDismount, I'm keen to get a 357 Mag to try - similar main bag size, but the side pockets are enclosed. Hard to know if that's a positive or negative without really running it.
2 of the guys that shoot in my region run the 357. I played around with one last match and really wished I would have gotten that instead of the shape charge. While I am not a great shooter, yet; I do fall into the better to have and not need than minimalist approach. If you spent years with a 60-80lb ruck, a 40lb bag to walk half a mile is not too bad to ensure you got everything you could ever need.

Just dodged a major bullet. 😬 Totally forgot the disaster Botach can be and ordered a bag from them last week that was supposed to be in stock. Of course then all of you guys started with the good suggestions. My order was supposed to be in stock and of course it wasn’t, so I managed to get it cancelled because Eberlestock is back ordered as well. I will definitely be going to check out Kifaru next week to get a good bag.

Reactions: Bunkin