• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Compact Hunting Scope

Jig Stick

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 27, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
I need to purchase a scope for a new .270 hunting rifle that I just built. Shots will be taken out to 600yds most likely. Im trying to keep the gun lite as possible. What is everyones opinion between the Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x32 FFP vs the newer Nightforce NXS Compact 2.5-10x32? Other than one being FFP, they are both pretty similar. Any comments?

If you're building a Duty Gun, SHTF Gun, a Gun that'll take a lot of abuse, or you just have money you need to blow go with the nightforce. Otherwise get the PST. Just my $0.02.

It won't be "abused" but it will be my main hunting rifle. And will see a lot of travel, leaning against tractors and trucks, up and down trees, through bogs and swamps, up rocky mountains, etc. I really like the Nightforce, but I am very used to calling out shot adjustments using my FFP reticles. That is biggest concern

I used that PST on my M1A for shots out to 500 with no problem on 10X. I really like the SWFA SS 3-15x42 as well, but that's a good 6 oz heavier than the PST.

In comparing the two, the NXS is only 0.3 oz heavier than the Viper.

You can find the NXS compacts on the hide for around $1100 with zero stop and whatnot, the capped versions down as low as $900
If you are worried about shot calling, you can either hold at x10 or just dial.

In short, no matter how many features you add to the PST, the image quality will never match the NXS.

I would look for a much bigger objective than 32 for hunting at 600 yards.