• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Compact Hunting Spotter

Crews

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 11, 2017
    Hallsville, Tx
    I currently use a set of tripod mounted 15x56 binos for deer hunting out of a stationary blind. While I really love the massive FOV, I sometimes need more magnification to make out the tiny details for aging animals, rack size, etc. Actual shooting rarely exceeds 400 yards, but I do a lot of scouting/recon and phone skope pictures to share with other lease members.
    My budget is $1k, and I’m wondering if a compact spotter would be a better choice. Hoping to be able to resolve finer details out to 800-1000ish yards, and still have a decent FOV on the low end. Anyone have some thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!
    Edit: perhaps something like a Maven S2?

I liked my leupold mk4 spotter for hunting. It was a 12-40. So plenty wide fov scanning and 40x was enough for zooming in. I sold it because I hated the reticle for hunting. It was always in the way. I plan on replacing it with a regular gold ring spotter for my hunting pack.

I liked my leupold mk4 spotter for hunting. It was a 12-40. So plenty wide fov scanning and 40x was enough for zooming in. I sold it because I hated the reticle for hunting. It was always in the way. I plan on replacing it with a regular gold ring spotter for my hunting pack.
    Good feedback, thanks. How crucial is it to locate one with “HD” glass in your opinion? (Given my use outlined above)

Most of the compacts are in the $300-$500 range and there are several options.

You are right, there are a ton of options in that price range. My only hesitation, is that I’ve not ever used a spotting scope but used plenty of rifle scopes.... I have a hard time seeing how anything at that price point has the resolution I need to make out fine rack details at 1000ish yards. But perhaps I’m wrong? Would love to get a $500 optic that would do it and have $ left over.

I have used a Vortex Razor HD 11-33x50 for years now, and it fits the bill perfectly. It's compact, light for a spotter, inexpensive, and the glass hits above its class.

Mine came with a lightweight tripod that is perfect for packing and glassing animals in the mountains.

Athlon Cronus gets my vote.
    An excellent value at $400 right now. I think I paid $500 for mine and it was still an outstanding value then.

Most of the compacts are in the $300-$500 range and there are several options.

I have used a Vortex Razor HD 11-33x50 for years now, and it fits the bill perfectly. It's compact, light for a spotter, inexpensive, and the glass hits above its class.

I use the same scope, have had it for some years now.

I'm very happy with it for its intended purpose.

It takes up very little space. It can be held steady on a beanbag, a tiny tabletop tripod or a clamp, neither of which weight very much or take up very much space.

The optical quality is surprisingly good. I only start to see degrading image quality at approx. 2/3 X radius from the center and in fact the outer 1/3 X radius is quite useable, only slightly degraded optical quality compared to the center. You will have to pay seriously big money to get better optical quality than this.

The only real downside is the 50 mm objective diameter. This makes the exit pupil diameter small compared to fullsize spotting scopes. In broad daylight or at the lowest magnifications you might hardly notice it, but at dawn/dusk and especially at night it does become a serious drawback. The small objective diameter is of course a neccesary evil when you want the scope to be small and light.

The only real downside is the 50 mm objective diameter. This makes the exit pupil diameter small compared to fullsize spotting scopes. In broad daylight or at the lowest magnifications you might hardly notice it, but at dawn/dusk and especially at night it does become a serious drawback. The small objective diameter is of course a neccesary evil when you want the scope to be small and light.

This is a good pointer, obviously with the hunting application there’s going to be some dawn/twilight use. Let’s say you wanted to take a real close look at a deer during lowish light conditions... at what range/magnification does it become a no go?

I am not mountain hunting and don’t need to make critical decisions to hike another 2 miles to shoot something... but if I’m going through the trouble to get one I don’t want to be disappointed. Is there any chance the 11-33 Razor does something the Gold Ring 12-40 DOESN’T do well? (Other than size)

like what jbuck88 said i have a hd gold ring like he mentions i would never sell it love it for hunting you can also hand hold it on lower power. i have a swaro str its great and you can turn the recital off and on but its really to heavy to carry hunting at least for me.

like what jbuck88 said i have a hd gold ring like he mentions i would never sell it love it for hunting you can also hand hold it on lower power. i have a swaro str its great and you can turn the recital off and on but its really to heavy to carry hunting at least for me.
    do you have the 80mm version or 65? I sold my mark 4 cuz i wanted the STR with the ability to turn the reticle on and off. The 65 does well when packing it in, maybe not the lightest but glass is still really good and until I can get a btx combo it is what I will take with me.

i have the 80 i love it for the range would not sell it either. i could see myself using it for scouting as not carrying a lot of gear or getting out of the truck and spotting or a atv, for me its just too heavy with rifle and day pack as i am getting older i like to be as light as i can.

Good feedback, thanks. How crucial is it to locate one with “HD” glass in your opinion? (Given my use outlined above)

I'm not sure. I ordered a HD demo from EuroOptics. So I'll be able to tell you next week.

I run the 11-33 vortex razor. Great for the price point and I’ll backpack into places or longer hikes away from the vehicle. Glass with binos until we see something we like. Count the points, phoneskope if we like it and go from there. Glass quality is great, just a smaller objective for the early/low light stuff.

if we’re glassing from the truckor not too far, i’ll bring the bigger spotter out. Depending how many of us out there, we’ll bring one big spotter to take turns in our packs.

I recieved my Leupold 12-40 HD Gold Ring from EuroOptics yesterday. I took it out this morning and was using it on deer my 8am. Its hard to compare the clarity to the Mk4 I had, however I would say its a little brighter and clearer. The HD is supposedly clearer since it doesn't have the anti-laser coating that the mk4 has. I was able to use a Vortex Razor (first gen?) and my Leupold mk4 side by side last year at deer camp. I walked away thinking the Vortex didn't offer much if anything over my leupold. I did buy a Nightforce/Meopta sp101 that would blow both of them away at the expense of $$$ and packability. The Leupold HD fits in my day pack and is very easy to use with or without a tripod.

So this was from today. Late afternoon so the light was starting to fade. It is just me holding my phone to the eye piece. So it looked a little better to the eye.
    About 250yds.

20201208_150747.jpg