• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Spotters Compact spotter?

jbuck88

Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 25, 2010
Port Angeles, WA
I have a Leupold Gold Ring HD 12-40 spotter that I throw in my day bag for hunting. I've tried the Hensoldt spotter 60 as well and it was a huge improvement in glass quality it just didn't fit in my bag.

I usually hunt 3pt minimum areas so being able to count points at distance as well as scanning hillsides while hiking.

I'm interested in the Swarovski STC or maybe a stx 65mm. But I'm worried the STX would be too big like the hensoldt I got rid of. I see there are a few different spotters around the 60mm range and wondering if anyone has done a comparison on how they stack up for fov on low end and resolution on the top end?

I don't really know how to quantify a max size. The Hensoldt was too large. The Leupold GR 12-40x60mm HD is about perfect for throwing in the bag, I just wish for better glass while still maintaining a decent FOV on the low end.

I've been using a 12-36 Athlon Cronus I got from Dave at Cameraland and everyone that looks through it complements it.
Had a number of unbiased people say glass looks better than Vortex Razor spotters and Leupold MK4 spotters side by side too.

Came pretty close to ordering the kowa prominar 66, but ended up ordering a swarovski ATC to fill the backpack role a little better. Hopefully I don't regret it.

I was tempted by the kowa 55 series, but ultimately turned off by the narrower FOV. The reviews on the glass for it make it sound awesome though.

I ultimately ordered a ATC because it's huge FOV and more compact then the TSN-66a or ATS 65mm with the WA eyepiece.

Its an older unit, but have you considered the Bushnell Legend T-Series 15-45x Spotting Scope?

DjCjtnuWsAAS4eQ.jpg

Its an older unit, but have you considered the Bushnell Legend T-Series 15-45x Spotting Scope?

DjCjtnuWsAAS4eQ.jpg

I've only looked through 2, but he wants image quality. That's a big step down from what he's after.

I have a Leupold Gold Ring HD 12-40 spotter that I throw in my day bag for hunting. I've tried the Hensoldt spotter 60 as well and it was a huge improvement in glass quality it just didn't fit in my bag.

I usually hunt 3pt minimum areas so being able to count points at distance as well as scanning hillsides while hiking.

I'm interested in the Swarovski STC or maybe a stx 65mm. But I'm worried the STX would be too big like the hensoldt I got rid of. I see there are a few different spotters around the 60mm range and wondering if anyone has done a comparison on how they stack up for fov on low end and resolution on the top end?
Another vote for the Kowa TSN 55 on sale at a significant discount from Cameraland which proves high end quality doesn't necessarily have to cost an arm and a leg.

Buy their Kowa TSN 884 for $2299.99 as well just to have since this sale price is outrageously cheap. This one's so crystal clear it's maybe even worth lugging around in a separate backpack and way way easier spotting 3 point bucks at 60x.

Buying both of these Kowas is still probably going to be cheaper than the Hendsolt 60 you liked.

Last edited:
Just read a review on the GPOTAC 45 15-45x60 spotter. I have one of their scopes and about to take their bino harness on a hunting trip. I'm becoming a fan of their stuff.

@gr8fuldoug could probably provide more info.

Just giving you options.... hope this helps.