• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Comparable ammo to .308 Black Hills Gold 168 grain

TheTick

Private
Minuteman
Dec 17, 2010
Metro Philadelphia, PA
For the holidays, a couple of my family members have mentioned wanting to go shooting and I was going to bring my guns along to include my sniper rifle. Everyone is wanting to take some pulls on it, but I don't want to have my pants pulled down on buying ammo for the day.

So far, the gun eats only .308 Black Hills Gold 168 grain and the occassional round for shooting through glass. I am too honest to take my department ammo for personal use and too cheap to buy Black Hills rounds for my family to shoot. Anyway, are there cheaper ammos that will perform at least in the ball park of 1 MOA at around 100-150 yards. I have seen some cheap Russian ammo and such, but I don't: A- want my rifle to explode and B- look like I can't shoot for shit because of the unreliable ammo.

As mentioned. I have seen boxes for like 8 - 10 bucks.

Suggestions?

Re: Comparable ammo to .308 Black Hills Gold 168 grain

Is 100-150 yds as far as youll bee shooting. Most any decent ammo should be fine. The Winchester 147 FMJ I bought by the cases shot 1MOA as well as the WOLF brass case. If your shooting longer ranges 600 yds+ then you might not have your desired results. Until I started handloading, I could not afford to shoot like I wanted too with factory ammo.

maybe some prvi 168 match.More than the 147 FMJ, It can be had for $12.95 a box

I've had good luck with American Eagle .308 factory ammo.

150grain FMJBT

inch groups at 100yards

The 100- 150 yard will be the max that we shoot at. There is no way I am taking them to 600 and have to start explaining wind values and earth curvature (which I am still in the process of learning).

Thanks. Good to know that I don't need the expensive stuff.

Looking at the suggested American Eagle .308 150 grain FMJ. We shoot their .40 cal at work for our target ammo and it is consistant and clean as a bonus.