• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Compared: Zeiss Victory HT, Meopta R2 and S&B Polar T96

Stooxie

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Oct 11, 2018
Northern VA
Hi everyone,

Through some crazy sales, coupons and other financial chicanery I managed to get some nice optics over the last couple years. I thought I'd provide my thoughts on how they compare. A few caveats up front. My use case --thus far-- is deer hunting, under 200 yards. Not doing long range shooting or dangerous game or knocking the scopes around a truck. I am comparing these scopes primarily on image quality (whatever that means) and a few practical attributes as they relate to sighting in and field use. As always, these things are very subjective. I am not a professional, just someone who's spent a lot of time behind a scope trying to lay down some deer.

If this helps any fellow over thinkers, hoarders or second-guessers, I've done some good! Feel free to ask me any questions or correct me if I have any terms wrong.

The models:

Zeiss Victory HT 2.5-10x50 #60 illuminated reticle (illuminated pin prick in the middle of a German 4A)
Schmidt and Bender Polar T96 2.5-10x50 L7 FFP illuminated (illuminated "+" in the middle of a German 4A)
Meopta R2 2-12x50 4C illuminated reticle (round dot in the middle of a German 4A)

All of these scopes are terrific and everything below is absolutely splitting hairs. There were some interesting discoveries, though.

In no particular order, and don't draw any conclusions from any single attribute:

Color
By color I mean color palette and how the scopes pass various parts of the spectrum.
Victory HT: Cooler image, passes more blues.
Polar T96: wonderfully vivid, very full spectrum. Seems well balanced
R2: A warmer image, reds were brighter.

Brightness
Victory HT and Polar T96 both are amazingly bright, breathtakingly clear and bright. I want to say the S&B is very slightly the winner. About 10 minutes after dusk I could still make out faint colors maybe a minute or two longer than the Victory HT. The R2 doesn't hang on as long, but easily gets through last legal light so does it even matter?

When looking at areas with shadows during the daylight, the shadows were just a bit darker with the R2, and lighter with the other two. The R2 seems to be a higher contrast scope which I'll get to in a second.

Resolution and Contrast
I am discussing these two together because this is where I think each manufacturer had to make their choices/compromises. It's also true that different situations will expose different strengths and weaknesses. There are no absolute bests all the time (yet!).

Victory HT: The Zeiss seems to be toward the resolution end. The color rendition is so subtle, I see every shade, every hue. If there is moss on a rooftop I see the bright green high growth spots, the gentle green/grays of the newer patches, and everything in between. It's not as contrasty as the other two, but the sharpness and detail are terrific. Looking at wooden fence posts 50 yards away I see every shade of brown in the wood grain. It's a softer image but it's all there.

R2: The R2 is insanely sharp and high contrast. This is where the R2 shines, the crispness of the image is superlative. There is less subtlety to the image, I don't see all the infinite shades and hues, but the image pops and the eye is quickly drawn to the standout details. Looking at the fence posts the grain is super sharp and the darker lines stand out more than on the Zeiss.

Polar T96: The S&B can best be described as in the middle. It seems to split the difference between high detail sharpness and color fidelity.

"Aliveness"
This is my term for how alive the image appears to be, and is related to resolution and contrast. How well do you see movements through the scope, does the image seem to be fluid and three dimensional or projected onto a flat surface? Are you seeing what there is to see?

Victory HT: This is my benchmark for aliveness. Rustling leaves, individual blades of grass swaying in a breeze, a single leaf of ivy waiving on a tree. The swish of a white tail along a tree line. The Zeiss just sends it as if you were looking with your own eye. It's amazing to watch.

Polar T96: Very similar. The color reproduction is fantastic and is clearly the top priority for this product. Just a tiny bit more contrast makes the colors vivid but sacrifices just a hair of movement. I mean a hair, maybe I'm just making it up in my mind.

R2: The high contrast of the image makes it a stiller, flatter image. I almost hate to say it, there's nothing "wrong" with this image at all, this only shows up when comparing it to the titans of the industry. For some folks the higher contrast may be desirable. The Zeiss definitely has a softer image.

"Image Size"
I don't know the technical term for this, but this is how big the image looks through the eye piece.

Victory HT: The image is huge, the eyepiece disappears when you get behind it. Really no black border at all. It almost gives another 10% or 20% zoom level compared to the others.
R2: Pronounced black border around the image that is ever-present. That said, it doesn't affect function (afaik) and it's only so apparent when comparing it, quite unfairly, to scopes that cost 2X.
Polar T96: Again, in the middle. A thin black border that is clearly present.

Eye box
The Victory HT was the least sensitive to eye positioning, the R2 was the most, and the S&B was in the middle. No issues with eye relief distance on any of them.

Chromatic abberation
I would say the S&B controlled CA the best, there was almost none even when looking at high contrast things like white window shutters against a slate gray house. The R2 was excellent in this regard as well. The Victory HT seems to be just a bit more sensitive to eye positioning when it comes to inducing CA.

Reticle/Illumination
I like the German 4A reticle because it's simple, doesn't confuse me and doesn't obscure the top of the animal. Each of these scopes has a different illuminated reticle and all will work just fine.

Victory HT: The illumination is best described as a tiny pin prick of light in the dead center of the cross hairs. It is totally invisible when not on, and I believe the subtension of the light is 0.6cm at 100m on 10x or 12x zoom. The illumination range seems infinitely variable, via a control wheel, from day light bright to can't see it even in the dead of night. It must be a digital control because the scope doesn't care about the position of the dial. Just turn one way for brighter and the other way for dimmer.

R2: The 4C is a circle dot in the middle of the crosshairs. I was concerned that it might appear "big", but it really is quite small and when zoomed up becomes no issue at all. I think it's 2MOA at 4X, so obviously smaller with higher zoom. It is a VERY clear dot with no flaring whatsoever. It goes from pretty dim in the twilight to mostly daylight bright. Starts to wash out a bit in the bright sun, but that's ok-- it's not meant to be an Aimpoint. I like this reticle, it's light weight, crisp and easy to see. I'll enjoy hunting with it. As a note, this is a digital control as well. Even though the dial range is fixed, the mapping gets changed if you don't have the dial on "8" when you change the battery.

Polar T96: Let me say that I ended up with the L7 FFP reticle because that's what was on crazy sale. I have no need for a FFP and I was hoping that I didn't make a mistake. So far, I think it will be just dandy. I kinda like the "+" sign in the middle of the cross hairs. The lines are super thin and light at 2.5X and, even when zoomed up, are still light enough to not obstruct the view. Of course the lines are super sharp. The plus sign illuminates without any bleed or flare. The only downside is that the illumination is not daylight bright at all. Not surprising, I guess, for a scope that markets itself as a twilight/night hunter. The range is from completely dim in the dusk to "I can barely see it in the day light."

Build Quality and Controls
All three are high quality. Turrets are crisp.

Victory HT: Graceful lines, refined look. Magnification dial is stiff. Diopter is smooth and easy to turn.
Polar T96: Built like a tank, all metal, no rubber. Magnification dial is stiff. A little hard to turn the diopter dial since it's metal, but whatever.
R2: Very nice, magnification dial is smooth and easier to turn, as is the diopter.

Dimensions/Weight
They are all within 4.5 oz of each other.

Victory HT: The shortest and lightest among them.
R2: Longest
Polar T96: heaviest

General impressions

Victory HT: This scope is so damn easy to get behind, so easy on the eye. It's just effortless to look through it and focus on different things. I have not been able to look through a Victory V6 or V8, and I know on paper that the HT still has higher light transmission, but it's easy for me to see why the HT is still sold and still commands high prices. It is the lightest and most compact with the most capable illumination.

Polar T96: The image color and brightness are just off the charts. Given that is the stated purpose of the scope, I think it's achieved that spectacularly. Not quite as effortless to look through as the Zeiss, but a gorgeous picture with rich, vivid colors. I eagerly await taking this scope in the field.

R2: This is a thoroughly impressive scope that can be had for close to $1,000 depending on what sales are on. The sharpness is marvelous, I could read the small writing carved onto a stone monument about 80 yards away. The glass is beautiful, the scope well built, and the illumination capable. I'll happily field this one as well.

Just as another point of comparison for the R2, I would rate it better than anything else I've seen aside from the Victory and Polar. From Burris to Leupold VX-6 to Nikon Monarch to Bushnell 6500, Vortex Razor HD, etc. NOT saying it beats every product from those manufacturers, just the ones I've looked through.

I'd be curious to know how a Leica Magnus, Swaro Z6 or Minox E5.2 would compare, but I think this is the end of the road for my wallet. Plus, I'm guessing that they all have to make certain compromises and choices and they just do them differently. As we always say, there's only so dead a deer can be!

-Stooxie

Last edited:
Great review, thanks for taking the time to put it together.

I’ve been preaching for a while now that the Meoptas perform very close to much more expensive scopes, and blow most other big name scopes out of the water when it comes to clarity and low light performance. And that’s my experience from owning a R1, not sure if the r2’s got upgraded at all.

And the Zeiss Victory HT’s are still some of my favorite scopes for hunting rigs, light weight and superb glass. A semi local store still has 2 2-10 models on the shelf marked down 50%...if they were 3-12’s and or had illuminated reticle, I’d snag them both up. Still tempting at $1250 though. I know the new v6 and v8 Zeiss scopes aren’t rated as high in the light transmission department as the Victory HT...so I’m really curious how those stack up.

I currently have two primary hunting rifles, one wears a Polar T96 4-16x56 and the other wears a Swaro z8i 2.3-18x56. Shooting side by side, I can’t say which I like better. Both have phenomenal glass, contrast, clarity, etc. I’ll have to spend some more time with both in front of me to break down the characteristics like you did here.
Physically, the S&B is much more stout and the turrets are better...but I really do like the ballistic turret add on for the Swaro.

After reading Ilya’s reviews on the Leica Magnus, I’d love to try one...but I’d have to build a complete new rifle to justify one, and I think my wife would kill me if I did that right now ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Stooxie
Stooxie, I appreciate the effort you put into this for the community. These scopes have little interest for me but I was drawn to your review out of curiosity, great job.

Reactions: Stooxie
Awesome review. I recently purchased my first "German" scope: a lowly, US made (but with German glass) Steiner P4Xi 1-4X. The optical quality so far surpasses everything I've ever used that now, slowly, all my other scopes will eventually be sold off to replaced with much higher quality European optics.

If you know how to shoot, a quality SFP 1-6X or 1-8X German scope with a #60 reticle will do 99.9999% of what a hunter needs from running game in the woods to big game all the way to 500 yards.

What really struck me was the differences in how each of them performed in particular areas. I figured that better scopes would do everything better, and largely they do, but when you're bumping your head on the ceiling I guess there's only so much further you can go. Every manufacturer claims their scopes are the best at everything so it's impossible to cut through the marketing without some kind of direct experience. Most of the reviews I read spend 75% of the time talking about the turrets and tracking. Optics barely gets a mention. As a deer hunter I couldn't give a rat's fat ass about that. I sight in my rifles, screw the caps back on and that's that. I reckon 90% of shooters do exactly the same. I want to know what I can SEE through the damn thing!

I'd love to see more reviews really focus in (ha!) on the optics. @Langford I'd love to hear your thoughts on the Swaro and Polar T96. The more of these we can collect the more we get a sense of the differences and how particular brands might suit people's tastes.

-Stooxie

Last edited:
Reactions: 338LMAI
Awesome review. I recently purchased my first "German" scope: a lowly, US made (but with German glass) Steiner P4Xi 1-4X. The optical quality so far surpasses everything I've ever used that now, slowly, all my other scopes will eventually be sold off to replaced with much higher quality European optics.

If you know how to shoot, a quality SFP 1-6X or 1-8X German scope with a #60 reticle will do 99.9999% of what a hunter needs from running game in the woods to big game all the way to 500 yards.

It's awesome, isn't it? First time I looked through my Victory HT I actually couldn't believe it, I was just thinking "How is this even possible??" I had to put it down and just stare at it like "WTF?"

I've heard some extremely good things about GPO as well (Ex Zeiss people from what they claim). I'd love to see some in depth optical reviews of those scopes. The Passion 6X, compared with the 4X.

-Stooxie

I've heard some extremely good things about GPO as well (Ex Zeiss people from what they claim). I'd love to see some in depth optical reviews of those scopes. The Passion 6X, compared with the 4X.

-Stooxie
They better be good for the prices they're asking. Trijicon's Accupower 1-8X is $800 less than the GPO GPOTAC 1-8X and on paper is its equal. Having also a Trijicon Accupower 1-4X, I can say the glass on it is outstanding. Every bit as good as the P4Xi but let down by a shitty reticle and reticle illumination.

Also, I can get a Zeiss Conquest 1-6X24 for the same price (basically) as the GPO Passion 1-6X24. Now, if the Passion 6 and 8 compare favorably with the equivalent Zeiss Victorys, now you have something.

Last edited:
Great review. Thank you for taking the time.

If I ever find the time to go back into hunting, I’ll def be looking at one of these. :)

How does the Zeiss Conquest V6 stack up against the older and sadly discontinued Victory HT?
V6 vs Meopta R2? Like yourself, purely for hunting and in low light conditions

Adding some comments about the Leica Magnus, since I have several now. If that's any indication!

Long story short: Optics on par with the Zeiss HT, at least I can't tell much difference. Bright, sharp, alive, vivid. The eyebox is huge on the Magnus and very forgiving. It's a spectacular scope, I said "wow" the first time I looked through it.

The downside of the Magnus relative to the Zeiss Victory HT is that they are longer and heavier. Optically I am equally satisfied (amazed, really) between the two. Zeiss also still has the better illumination but we're splitting very small hairs at this point. Really nothing to complain about either way. I do like the Magnus i Day or night control.

-Stooxie

Reactions: Glassaholic