• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Comparing reloading die sets.....RCBS vs. Redding

bbush

Private
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2009
I am just getting into reloading and had a question about buying my first die set. I am trying to decide between the RCBS 3-die set (20904) and the Redding 3-die set (80209) for my Marlin 45-70. I have read that both seem to be really good brands, but most people seem to give the edge to Redding over RCBS when comparing the two. If it matters, I just purchased a RCBS Rock Crusher kit, but I know either will fit it. First, I would like to know what is really the big difference between the two brands and what makes one better that the other. Second, I would like to know if the price difference between the RCBS and the Redding is worth it. I can get the RCBS die set for $40 total while the Redding set will be about $75 total. I realize that the 45-70 isn't exactly a sniper caliber but I would like the ammo that I turn out to be as accurate as possible. Besides, I am in the process of building an accuracy AR-15 and whatever brand I go with on this caliber will probably be the same that I go with when it comes time to start loading .223 rounds.

For what you’re doing, probably no difference except for cost. I think Redding is generally overpriced, especially when you get into the match stuff.

No need to stay on the same track with the .223. See for yourself what other die sets are like.

Reactions: Steel head
It's not necessarily the dies as much as it's the user. I have done pretty well with my Lee dies. I switched to a forester seating die and had no real gain in accuracy. You might be surprised what a $40 rcbs set or even a $20 Lee set might do. The higher end stuff does have nicer options like micrometers and such, and that is super convenient. I load 223, 308, 9x19, and 45acp.

You do need accurately machined dies to function properly, but you don't necessarily need to spend a ton extra to have a perceived better brand. Just my .02, take it for what it's worth.

My take on it is you may get a problem die out of RCBS whereas Redding dies will be right. This is from my personal experience having to send two die sets back to RCBS for replacement. The tricky part was determining what was the cause of a problem.

For 45-70 go rcbs. I have that caliber and a dozen others in rcbs dies, they are great dies and affordable.

For precision rifle, I prefer Redding type S full sizing bushing dies with the Redding micrometer seating die. They are superb. OTM tactical usually has several sets for popular calibers.

Dan
NC

I have several standard sets of RCBS dies but just sold the best set I've ever owned ( 308 Comp Die set) to another member here.
My personal preference and what I would recommend for the caliber you intend to use them for would be Hornady and then Lee.
I have more sets of Hornady and Lee dies than any others and have never had an issue with them.

Reactions: Deathbypsi
I like the Redding body dies.
beyond that I prefer other manufacturers dies.
For 45/70 I’d 100% get the RCBS dies.

I go RCBS everytime not just because they work just fine for less $$$$

But also because RCBS customer service is top notch, if you have a problem with anything all it takes is an e-mail sent out and a replacement part is sent out ASAP on their dime. Broken decapper pins, seating stems for a special bullet shape, a scratched sizer die whatever it is you're covered, RCBS is the best company I've ever dealt with!

Reactions: davidb187
Are you thinking of shooting jacketed or lead bullets? If lead, RCBS has a nice "cowboy" reloading die set which is made specifically for lead projectiles. I have an 1895 (22" 45-70) and use the RCBS Cowboy die set and it performs well. I'm shooting mostly lead 300 gr. RNFP bullets at around 1,100 fps at paper and steel (it will also load jacketed bullets just fine which I've also done about 50 of). If you're shooting primarily jacketed, either brand will certainly do as others have said.

I went thru this when i got my 375 ruger dies. I figured for the difference in cost it was worth it to go with redding 2 die standard set (didn't think I'd ever just neck size a hunting round that i don't shoot often) as there products have always produced great results for me. On the plus side you can add micro-seater stems to their dies which makes the process easier in my opinion.

Unless you are shooting precision rifles where some of the higher end dies come into play with micrometer seaters, it doesn’t matter much. I use both Redding and rcbs, and I prefer Redding for one easy to overlook but painful feature. The de capping and seating stem that hangs out of the top of the rcbs is sharp as hell, and will catch your forearms while you work around the bench. Redding doesn’t have this problem.

Reactions: Kentuckywindage222
I am partial to Redding simply for the micrometer seating stems. They have been extremely repeatable for me and quick to set the proper seating depth. They have produced quality consistent ammo for me. I agree they are expensive, but they're likely a once in a life time purchase for me.

By the way, you mention that whichever brand you go with on the 45-70, you'll probably go with for your precision .223. There's no particular reason to limit yourself that way. I have the RCBS Cowboy dies for my Marlin 1895, which certainly doesn't need a micrometer seating die for lead bullets out of a 45-70 that will probably never go further than 200 yds. For my .223 and 6.5CM however, I have Forster benchrest dies and am also super happy with those. RCBS, Redding, Forster, Whidden and most other die manufacturers make excellent dies. I think it all depends on what you're looking to do with the cartridge and how much you have to spend, but there's no need to only stay with one brand. Horses for courses...

p.s. if you're loading low power loads with pistol powder for the 45-70 (which I do), make sure you inspect the cases for how much powder you have in them before seating bullets. A 45-70 case will easily take a double charge of a pistol powder like HP-38 or Unique, and a double charge of a fast burning pistol powder will make for a really bad day. In fact because of that, I now load with TrailBoss which occupies more case volume so a double charge is impossible, and still makes for easy shooting rounds. Just an FYI...

Last edited:
Reactions: AManWearingAHat
I can certainly echo the advice of pistol powder in rifle cases. I do the same for .30-30 in a Winchester 94. Specifically I load with Unique. A double or triple charge is really easy to miss in that cavernous case.

For that calibre in that platform, I seriously doubt you could possibly find a difference in accuracy that could be blamed on the quality of RCBS dies versus Redding dies. I own mostly Redding dies, but for calibres being loaded specifically for accuracy in guns that would see the improvement, like .300 Win Mag, .308 Win., 6.5 Creedmoor, etc. I have a lever action in .357 Mag, and went with RCBS dies for that, however I used the money saved to upgrade to carbide dies, so you could likely take a similar route with .45-70.
Even if you're not interested in carbide dies, you might as well still save your money and go with RCBS.

in my opinion either one will work for 45-70, however when I’m buying dies now ill go with Hornady or Redding over RCBS. The reason for that is because I just prefer the way the dies are set up for adjustments, I have all 3 brands, varying from the basic dies to bushing. All are good its just what you prefer. I have a friend who is a cheap ass and only buys LEE and he can outshoot/out reload better than other people that I know that just use bushing dies.