• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Comparing Tactical Shotguns, help please.

Opiy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
I have been wanting to get a Benelli M2 Tactical for a while now but I wonder if I could get a Mossberg or Remington and be just as happy. I was looking at the Mossberg 930 SPX 8 Shot with 18.5" barrel Semi Auto 12g. Similar in looks but almost half the price (going by Gunbroker.com).

Intended use would be to shoot this shit out of paper and a home defense gun. Maybe an emergency weapon if something were to happen. Can't say I have ever heard a bad thing about Benelli except price.

I know I want semi auto action, 12g 3" shell, 18" barrel, black, and if there are after market upgrades that is a plus.

I know this type of question comes up but it is still hard to decide since I am not fortunate enough to be able to handle any of the firearms and stores near by don't really do much in tactical.

So would the Mossberg 930 SPX be a gun that can take a shit ton of round through it with no problems? Durability? Is there a clear cut winner?

Maybe a good poll to put up huh?

Thanks for any input at all.

Re: Comparing Tactical Shotguns, help please.

Hmmm
I would LOVE to have a Benelli as well

MONEY is the magic reality check

My remington 870, mossberg 500s do the job.

Depends on whats important most to you?

I would rather spend $400.00 on a shotgun and $600.00 on ammo, and other shit for it like a light, sidesaddle, whatever.
Than spend $1000.00+ on a shotgun

But I am that same guy who is happy driving a chevy, even if I can afford a BMW.

But thats me.

Both mossbergs and 870s will give you years and thousands of rounds of ininterupted service.

I have a HK Benelli M1S90, all I can say is, save your pennies, its worth it.

I've got a regular Benelli Nova, and I wish I had an 870 right now. IMO it's better to have the Remington because of availability of inexpensive aftermarket upgrades while still getting a tried-and-true reliable gun.

Had a Benelli M1S90, sold it, bought a Mossy 930, decked it out and bought ammo.

That's just me of course.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Slimguns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Had a Benelli M1S90, sold it, bought a Mossy 930, decked it out and bought ammo.

That's just me of course. </div></div>

How do you like the Mossy in comparison to the benelli? I guess it is treating you good.

They are 2 different classes but the Mossy is a good gun and I have not had any probs.

Now if there was only a $50-$100 difference I'd go Benelli. But I can get the 930 w/ 2 barrels (18 & 24?), rail top, side saddle, 8 shot ext, light/mount, high viz follower, charge handle sling and ammo for the same price! I think that makes up for the difference in action.

Again, just a lowly armchair operator's (students) opinion.

1187 Remington Police 12 g rated best of 2008 by Gun Tests

I have a Remington 870 and love it, plus i also agree with spazz

"it's better to have the Remington because of availability of inexpensive aftermarket upgrades while still getting a tried-and-true reliable gun."

I would seriously reconsider the semi auto vs manual.

Benelli,Just buy a used one.Nice thing about them is you don't have to clean a gas system.When I've gone out shooting with friends and watched all their other brand shotguns jam it makes me thankful I got what I wanted,the best.

Steve

Ive had allot of shotguns in the past .Right now i went with the rem 1100 tac . Dont need fancy sights for in the house and 3" either . I guess the most important is reliability . Havent had any problems with the rem shooting light loads . Good luck

I have a Benelli, an 870 and an 1100. I am thinking of buying an 1187 as I hunt with one and enjoy the versatility of round selection the 1100 does not offer. The M4 is a great gun, has lots of aftermarket accessories and is 100% reliable. I use it more to play the game than the 870 which is my house clearing gun. Regardless of which one you buy, put a light on it and practice with it. Practice with different chokes, shoot slugs and buckshot. If you get an auto (1187 or M1-4)don't buy the light recoil ammo. Practice with it and shoot it a lot. You do not necessarily need a side saddle, but you do need a light. Shooting a SG while holding a flashlight BLOWS. The advice of buying a less expensive gun is good advise. That way you have a shotgun sooner and you are developing your skills now. You may also find that you want a revolver as opposed to a scattergun and wont have a house payment tied up in a gun you have decided you do not really like.. I f you really plan on shooting this thing a lot, stay away from the Mossbergs. They are good stick it in the cormer guns, but contiued use with heavy loads will eventuallt cause it to fail.

My $ .02

I do plan to shoot alot, or as often as I am able. I do plan to reload for it so hopefully I can shoot a good bit more frequent.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Isn't the Mossenberg the king of Tactical shotguns? </div></div>

Dar...... We're trying to be serious here........ The king!?!?!?!?!

You're funny man....
laugh.gif

I had the same dilemma a few months back. Choice between a Saiga-12 or a Mossberg 930spx. After watching a bunch of U-Tube videos on the Saiga I decided to go with it. It is a great shooter but kinda bulky and snaggy with the external box magazine sticking so far out. If you are trying to push through the bush with a shotgun slung on your back and an AR15 up front the Mossberg was a better choice. Sold the Saiga a couple of weeks ago and bought the 930 spx from Dicks. Great Gun and Very Reliable. Just my opinion.

Here is a picture of my old Saiga-12 with 10 round magazine.
100_1036.jpg

Going with low bidder dealer is like going with low bidder anything in life, you get what you pay for.

You can buy out of state, but it has to come through an in state dealer in the end.

I like my Benelli M2.
Very little parts and a snap to clean up.

Once upon a time (or if your a Sailor you begin the story, "No Shit") four friends go to a big three gun match. Lots of shotgun slugs and some shot courses, static targets, flying clays, steel... good stuff.

There was one Winchester XS2 "The fastest shotgun on the planet", a superduper Remington 1100 "practical" "ready to race straight out of the box", and this wierd Fabarm with this big military looking thingy over the barrel to keep you from buring your pinky..... and one Benelli M3 (very close to the proposed M2 but not).

Anyway, three of the competitors experiened (on every single freeking course of fire) various and sundry bullshit such as failure to feed, failure to eject, becomeing a single action, and the most spectacular of all, puking shells out of the bottom of the gun when they were supposed to be feeding into the chamber. One poor sole had to put down the poor Fabarm like a wounded horse and borrow the only shotgun that ran flawless the entire match, just so he could finish the match.

Guess which one he borrowed
grin.gif

Buy once, cry once.

This has been a public service announcement from Team Benelli.

Benelli M2 for a semi auto. 870 for a pump the choice is yours brotha!!!!! M2 can provide more options if you get both a 21" & 26" barrels

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HiCapMag</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Once upon a time (or if your a Sailor you begin the story, "No Shit") four friends go to a big three gun match. Lots of shotgun slugs and some shot courses, static targets, flying clays, steel... good stuff.

There was one Winchester XS2 "The fastest shotgun on the planet", a superduper Remington 1100 "practical" "ready to race straight out of the box", and this wierd Fabarm with this big military looking thingy over the barrel to keep you from buring your pinky..... and one Benelli M3 (very close to the proposed M2 but not).

Anyway, three of the competitors experiened (on every single freeking course of fire) various and sundry bullshit such as failure to feed, failure to eject, becomeing a single action, and the most spectacular of all, puking shells out of the bottom of the gun when they were supposed to be feeding into the chamber. One poor sole had to put down the poor Fabarm like a wounded horse and borrow the only shotgun that ran flawless the entire match, just so he could finish the match.

Guess which one he borrowed
grin.gif

Buy once, cry once.

This has been a public service announcement from Team Benelli.</div></div>

LOL Nice story. Well I try to stick to the saying, you get what you pay for. I was sold on the Benelli before then started to think well maybe..... but I am resold on the Benelli again.

smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fx77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1187 Remington Police 12 g rated best of 2008 by Gun Tests </div></div>

+1 on the 11-87

If you are looking for a "Tactical" semi-auto I would go with the Remington, especially if you are going to mount a light and side saddle on it. The Benelli's can be a bit finicky about add ons.

Top 2 shotguns in 3 gun and shotgun only matches are.
Benelli
Win. SX2 / FN
I've got both and shoot the SX2. There is no such thing as a 100% shotgun, they all hic-up at some point.
Benelli's beat you more, M2's are better but still kick.
SX2 is heavier, less recoil, cycle a little faster, although you have to be damn good to out run any shotgun and hit what your shooting.
Look at what the top guys run for a clue to what works and lasts. These guys put more shotgun rounds down range in a year than most hunters use in a life time.

I have had the 930 SPX for a year now, and have put aprox 1,500 rounds down the tube. from slugs to #8 shot with any failures. shoots as fast as Rem 1187 and the Benelli. There is not of after market part as of yet. The only pistol grip stock is Choate, and it looks like a 7th grader made it in his first day of wood shop.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Spazz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've got a regular Benelli Nova, and I wish I had an 870 right now. IMO it's better to have the Remington because of availability of inexpensive aftermarket upgrades while still getting a tried-and-true reliable gun. </div></div>

I am very happy with my Nova, and there is no way I would trade it for a 870. The ability to shoot ALL 12 gauge shells awesome. I think the Nova is as reliable as an 870, but I am not Elite. As far as aftermarket accessories, the only accessories I need for my shotgun is shells.

I wouldn't buy a Semi-auto for a 'tactical' shotgun, but it's your money.

I'm waiting for the <span style="font-size: 20pt">Perazzi</span> Tactical!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fast eddie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The M4 is a great gun, has lots of aftermarket accessories and is 100% reliable. </div></div>

Mine was a worthless hunk of shit with birdshot, even the heavier field loads. Reliable my ass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bronco</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Top 2 shotguns in 3 gun and shotgun only matches are.
Benelli
Win. SX2 / FN
</div></div>

The SX2 is a great shotgun.

I am not impressed with any Benelli and never have been.

3 gun is won by people with SX2s and 1100s. Those are my suggestions.

3" is a useless feature in a tactical shotgun. 2 3/4" will do everything 3" will do in this application.

My vote is for a Remington regardless.

If it's a "tactical" shotgun, you don't need 3" shells.

My semi-auto "tactical" is a 18" 1100 with a factory remingon +2 tube, factory wood, and a factory BEAD sight.

It's fast, reliable and accurate. Feeds and fires cheap ass winchester #8 shot for practice and Federal Reduced Recoil 00 and 1 oz slugs. It can put 3 slugs in a torso at 100 yards as fast as you can get a sight picture.

This shotgun is a couple decades old BTW. If it ever ends up in a courtroom it looks just like grandpap's "deer gun".

It may not look "tacticool" but it will do everything a "tactical" shotgun needs to do. Plus it was a present from my wife.
wink.gif

The Benelli "Super 90" series is also a good choice and "tacticooler" than the wood stocked 1100.

I have used an M4 in 3 gun for a couple of years. Mine is very reliable with Federal or Estate ammo birdshot. It would not run with Winchester white box ammo birdshot. So I would not call it junk, but I can't say it is %100 reliable either. Definitely picky about ammo. I have used only Federal slugs and it has never had a problem with them.

Have a look at the new GunTests... The Ithaca 37 carried away the prize and was the least expensive. Many used in Korea & Nam with excellent results.

Most guns used in competition have been tweeked by the owners and while their preference certainly points in directions it's not conclusive. Beretta owns Benelli,Stoeger, Burris etc. Take a look at the Stoeger 2000 same action as the Benelli for half the price (450), made in Turkey. This same gun used to be the Beretta 2000 and is still the same gun as the Beretta Tactical.

I have a Benelli m1s90 , and a Remington 870p . The Benelli is fast as lightning , but I tend to shoot the 870 more .

Can anyone explain the differences in the actions or gas systems on the Benelli M2 (or if the same just the benelli action) and the Remington 1100?

It just can't be a shut out win for an easy pick lol.

benellis don't have a gas system, which allows them to be lighter and trimmer. It is inertia operated, or recoil operated, the cycle rate and operations depend somewhat on the recoil level but the springs are adjusted for (usually) at least 1 1/8 oz. loads. 1100/1187 have a gas system that operates by the pressure of the burning gases trasferring the momentum to a bolt carrier to operate the system. Technically the recoil is the same but the felt recoil is less for gas system as the recoil moment is spread over a longer time frame. The biggest difference to me is not this-- but the bolt carrier release mechanism. an 1100/1187 releases from a lever on the bottom of the bolt carrier, benellis etc. release from a button on the side of the frame., the techniques for reloading while holding the shotgun in a ready position are different, some find the 1100 type faster, the benelli system allows a round to be feathered on the carrier, which 1100 types doesn't.

If you plan on shooting 3" shells I would avoid the 11-87's. I talked with a few guys at work that use them hunting and they have all had reliability issues. Guess the 3" rounds beat them up pretty bad.

I concur with Downzero's statement:

<span style="font-style: italic">3" is a useless feature in a tactical shotgun. 2 3/4" will do everything 3" will do in this application.</span>

In my experience, the M1 does not reliably cycle light loads like 7 and 8 shot (unless its high velocity 7 shot).
Otherwise, I prefer the Benelli recoil operation as well as the Rem 1100/1187.
However, the military has moved to the M4 gas type since the M1 has had reliablity issues when rails/sights/saddles were installed.

Like has been mentioned above the real difference is the operating system. The gas operated guns are heavier and have less felt recoil. The Benelli system is Inertia Recoil operated which is different than Recoil operated. On a recoil operated semi the barrel moves reward and cycles the action. The Benelli barrel does not move. The shotgun itself has to move in order for the action to cycle.

I have versions of all three systems. I love my M1S90 and use it for 3-Gun. It has run everything I ever fed it from light dove loads to slugs. It cycles faster and stays a lot cleaner than my 11-87. The only real downside is slightly more felt recoil. This hasn't really been an issue since for matches I'm not running 3" buckshot or similar. As far as ghost rings go I like them but do prefer the older ones. On my M1 the GR's are metal some of the later one's I've seen were plastic. A traditional bead or fiber optic might be faster but with practice I think it boils down to personal preference.

I have two old Franchis (20 & 12ga) that are recoil operated. They are very lightweight, 2 3/4" only, and super fast but they kick like hell.

The 11-87 has only failed to feed when the gas rings somehow worked their way around and got lined up. If the notches line up it won't cycle at all. The 11-87 seems to run when dirty better than the 1100 did. I could clean the 1100 and it would start to choke up on a busy dove field. I'm not sure if it was due to age or the system, the shotgun was an older 20ga.

I've heard some much more experienced 3-gunners claim that the 2 3/4" guns are faster than the 3" simply because the bolt isn't moving as far. I don't know if there is any truth to that or not but I guess I can see it. Around here the most common choice seems to be a tricked out 1100. I'll stick with my M1.

I was thinking of getting the Benelli M2 Tactical with pistol grips but I think I will go with the Comfortech stock instead. Supposedly it lessens felt recoil but some say not so much.

I was looking to get the model 11027 so hopefully I can find one in June. I talked to a guy at a local shop and I don't know what he was told but he said there are no more Benellis (at least M2s) coming into country and if so there would be a 6 month wait. I have seen plenty on Gunbroker.com so far.

I have noticed that noone mentioned anythign about Winchester 1400 gas gun? Just reciently found a few Win 1400s and was trying to get a little input about them

While many poo poo the Winchester model 1400 I have had one in 20 gauge for about 12 years and found it a pleasure to use as a hunting shotgun . Unfortunately you cannot ad an extension onto the magazine tube so you are stuck with 1 in the chamber and 2 in the tube which is gonna hamper its ability to be used in a Defensive or Competition roll . I would stick with a Remington 870 Pump or an Remington semi-auto in 1100 or 11-87 models if you are looking for something in the mid price range for a semi auto shotgun . I competed with a Remington 1100 shotgun that I built for several years and never had any problems with mine as long as I kept it oiled and replaced the O-Ring regularly . I never had an O-Ring fail but bought a bunch from Eric Wesselman and figured it was good shotgun Kharma to replace them .

I am sure you can spend a lot more money on something more exotic that kicks harder but unless you are shooting your shotgun in competition every weekend you would be hard pressed to beat the Remington 1100 .

870 PUMP, trijicon night sights, collapsible stock, tactical fore end with grip and light, side saddle, and the longest extended magazine tube you can put on it. the "special purpose" model takes 3" shells and has a removeable choke. get a compuchoke, oversized safety also works well.

shoots slugs well enough for head shots at 100, tears the shit out of everything with buckshot and shredders shells (loaded with nickels and washers). you can also throw a red dot on it. whole new breed of shotgun accessories that make sense out there, ati, mako, choate, promag.

during this "ammo crisis" and even during survival situation, theres nothing i want more strapped to me than a shotgun that works.

mossbergs are ok and affordable, but parts fly off them quite frequently.

its easier to clear a jam with the pump than the semi, and switch from slug, to buck, to less than lethal, and shredders, to birdshot, if needed.

a complete 870 package should cost less than $600 new, depending on what you want, and be fully accessorized