• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Compass Lake Engineering closing doors to the public

Xcount

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 31, 2009

If you have a barrel in the queue it will be finished.

I think it's just barrel work to the public that will be stopped. They will probably still sell parts.

It's their company and they are free to do with it as they choose.

However, if rising costs are the main factor, they have the ability to raise prices just like anyone else.

I suspect it is more of a dodge of recently enacted liability legislation in various states. I live in warshington state and they just royally fucked gun owners, gun shops and manufacturers by passing legislation that holds them legally/specifically responsible for injuries/deaths due to the use/misuse of their products.

Sad to see, but not surprised.

Last edited:
47E02A3B-C6B4-4540-B430-A49CC439F74D.gif

Have had a CLE Krieger on order since October. A little worried that it won't be their usual quality work since they are quitting. Kinda like that old saying you don't want a truck that was built on a Friday before a holiday. Cancel and order one from Craddock or hope for the best?

Have had a CLE Krieger on order since October. A little worried that it won't be their usual quality work since they are quitting. Kinda like that old saying you don't want a truck that was built on a Friday before a holiday. Cancel and order one from Craddock or hope for the best?
They are going to stop making barrels they are going to making them for large companies (contract orders), I would like to know whose barrels they are making, I should be going out there this week or next to pick up my 6arc barrel, I will ask them and see if they will tell.

They’re a reputable company that has always done quality work. They aren’t going to shortchange anyone on the way out.

They are going to stop making barrels they are going to making them for large companies (contract orders), I would like to know whose barrels they are making, I should be going out there this week or next to pick up my 6arc barrel, I will ask them and see if they will tell.
I wonder if PRI is one such company they're barrel for. Ive had a few PRI Douglas mk12 barrels (16 and 18") and they were hammers. Perhaps CLE did the barrel work...

Reactions: Hamerman
They are not going out of business; they are closing the commercial line. Lets face it; other than bunch of old timers i have not heard a single younger person in recent memory getting a barrel from cle. Their website sucks, they have zero marketing and ads to commercial market. They fell behind times and now the next generation ate their share.

I am not bashing CLE. They are wonderful people and their products are great. I still have a 20” laser beam they made me 8 years ago.

Not having enough commercial sales why would they keep inventory and deal with today’s entitled whiny commercial buyer? Not to mention the looming anti gun rhetoric and legislations… They can sell to OEM, won’t hear a single phone ring, make more money, with less headaches. I would do the same thing.

Lets face it; other than bunch of old timers i have not heard a single younger person in recent memory getting a barrel from cle. Their website sucks, they have zero marketing and ads to commercial market. They fell behind times and now the next generation ate their share.

Idk, they were selling enough barrels to have a 12 week backlog, I think they were doing just fine as far as popularity. The precision world knows their name. Just guessing but some more lucrative work may have come their way that isn't as labor intensive as dialing in high precision barrels every day.

Last edited:
Sad to hear, I hope its a discrete decision and not indicative of any larger problem, but we still have many many fine choices for barrels. The world still revolves on its axis.

Last edited:
I have a 6GT upper in their hands right now.

I was just calling them this morning before they posted that to see if they could make me a 6ARC. Sad to hear this...

Reactions: Lyle2231
Was just shooting a 16” 556 Douglas from them yesterday. Love the barrel. Was thinking about ordering another to have a matching pair. Guess that’s what I get for thinking instead of ordering.

Reactions: redx
Thought it was a little odd when I was trying to order another ARC barrel a couple weeks ago and they showed no options on their product page. I also couldn’t get them on the phone for several days trying to call. That sucks.

There's a lot more behind the reason for Compass Lake closing its doors to the public, this is what I will say.

Yes CLE is officially shutting down to the public and gearing there business to fulfilling contract orders with Douglas Blanks.

If you have barrels/builds that are currently being turned/built they will finsh them in the next two weeks.

If they have not started on your order your blanks/Parts will be returned to you.

if you have returned a blank due to warranty issues they will NOT back the warranty or replace it, you're SOL. I have a barrel that was supposed to be replaced and was told by Conrad yesterday that it will not be refunded or replaced.

Paul the (Head Barrel Smith) is moving on and once he is reestablished in his new shop and gives me the green light I will release his info for the new shop in this thread. Is should be within the next month or so.

I will update everyone as more details come in.

That’s fucked they’re not replacing a barrel they said they would. Discontinuing commercial sales doesn’t get them out of obligations like that unless they’re completely dissolving and closing the company. I would totally pursue that legally.

Guessing that would be a few $$$ more than eating the cost of a barrel.

Reactions: RTH1800
Guessing that would be a few $$$ more than eating the cost of a barrel.

It would cost like $50 to go to your local courthouse and file. You don’t need to hire an attorney for something like that. That’s totally worth it when they’re trying to shaft you on a $600+ barrel just because they’ve decided they’re not doing consumer sales anymore and don’t want to honor their warranty on a product they had already agreed to replace.

They’re the ones that it would cost a lot of money if they tried to fight it.

Reactions: Genesis1984
That’s fucked they’re not replacing a barrel they said they would. Discontinuing commercial sales doesn’t get them out of obligations like that unless they’re completely dissolving and closing the company. I would totally pursue that legally.

Yesterday when I spoke with Conrad I was also thinking that some of his customers may go that route, but I was more concerned about the long standing reputation that CLE has earned over the past 30 years just going down the drain.

I think that this could have been handled a lot better than it was, now their opening the doors for speculation and rumors that will destroy everything Frank White and the original CLE crew have worked so hard on more many years. At the end of the day it simply comes down to CLE was turned over from Frank to his son Conrad and these decisions are his and his alone, when I spoke with Teresa today that's what she told me this is Conrad's business now and his choice.

Yesterday when I spoke with Conrad I was also thinking that some of his customers may go that route, but I was more concerned about the long standing reputation that CLE has earned over the past 30 years just going down the drain.

I think that this could have been handled a lot better than it was, now their opening the doors for speculation and rumors that will destroy everything Frank White and the original CLE crew have worked so hard on more many years. At the end of the day it simply comes down to CLE was turned over from Frank to his son Conrad and these decisions are his and his alone, when I spoke with Teresa today that's what she told me this is Conrad's business now and his choice.

That sucks but him ruining the reputation shouldn’t come at a financial penalty to you or any other customers. As long as CLE is still in business he still has the obligation of honoring the warranty that was implied at the time of the sale. I would file in small claims court and get my money back if he’s not willing to replace the barrel as they agreed to, but that’s me.

That sucks but him ruining the reputation shouldn’t come at a financial penalty to you or any other customers. As long as CLE is still in business he still has the obligation of honoring the warranty that was implied at the time of the sale. I would file in small claims court and get my money back if he’s not willing to replace the barrel as they agreed to, but that’s me.

It's not that Cut and dry Redneck, there are several other issues that are impacting CLE that has pushed Conrad to make this decision. CLE can't perform the warranty work / orders if they have no blanks to do it with, that's another factor why they will only be pushing Douglas from here on out.

• Haha
It's not that Cut and dry Redneck, there are several other issues that are impacting CLE that has pushed Conrad to make this decision. CLE can't perform the warranty work / orders if they have no blanks to do it with, that's another factor why they will only be pushing Douglas from here on out.

It is that cut and dry. You paid for a product that didn’t meet the guarantee, they agreed to replace it and now can’t/won’t. They owe you a barrel or your money back.

Hey folks,

Just wanted to chime in and tell anyone that if there is a manufacturing issue with a Bartlein AR barrel, to please give me a call in the shop. We will run your barrel through our standard inspection/warranty process. This involves a short conversation and looking at the barrel to determine what's wrong. After that, we will work with you to make it right. I am not perfect, and sometimes I am not fast, but I will do my best to take care of you.

What we can tell you right now is that if you need finish work done, or want to source another blank, we have two other recommended shops: First is Craddock Precision. We do use Craddock for in house personal projects for the employees, but Paul does all the finish work on our Bartleins.

The other shop that has accolades in the high power community is White Oak Armament. Both of these outfits have done excellent work, and we have high confidence in them. I do not know about the Illinois AWB and cannot speak to that, so do your own research and due diligence.

There are some other good shops out there, so if you know of one, don't be offended if I didn't mention them. I just know these outfits get blanks from us on the regular.

Craddock and White Oak each specialize in a little bit different area, so please do your research depending on what you want done. They both use Bartleins and other blanks, so you can pick and choose depending on your price and system.

At this time we do not have any information on the CLE issue, we just wanted to let you know that our warranty always has, and will continue to remain in place, but you have to communicate with us and we ALWAYS look at the blank before we determine what we are going to do. We will not just send you a replacement on your word - that bridge has been burnt too many times.

Feel free to call me if you need anything else. The next best way to contact us if you don't get us on the phone is drop an email.

Brady @ Bartlein / 262-677-1717 / info (at) bartleinbarrels (dot) com

www.craddockprecision.com
www.whiteoakarmament.com

Dammit that sucks, CLE built the most accurate 5.56 upper I have ever owned.

Don't be a dick.

Bill Paxton was awesome and agree, he was a huge part of what made "Aliens" great but "Alien" was the first one and he wasn't in Alien. Both are classics.
Hey! Just because I’m in the old folks home doesn’t mean…what were we talking about again?

Damnit! Messed that one up. As noted, he was in Aliens, the second movie in the series for those of feeble brain (like me).

Reactions: simonp and nn8734
There's a lot more behind the reason for Compass Lake closing its doors to the public, this is what I will say.

Yes CLE is officially shutting down to the public and gearing there business to fulfilling contract orders with Douglas Blanks.

If you have barrels/builds that are currently being turned/built they will finsh them in the next two weeks.

If they have not started on your order your blanks/Parts will be returned to you.

if you have returned a blank due to warranty issues they will NOT back the warranty or replace it, you're SOL. I have a barrel that was supposed to be replaced and was told by Conrad yesterday that it will not be refunded or replaced.

Paul the (Head Barrel Smith) is moving on and once he is reestablished in his new shop and gives me the green light I will release his info for the new shop in this thread. Is should be within the next month or so.

I will update everyone as more details come in.
Please do, looking for a 12.5 cut in a criterion.