• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Compass Lake experience

nakoa01

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 2, 2018
Guys who has an upper from them or just a kit and how does it shoot? Thanks

I had an awful experience with mine. It just wouldn’t run reliably with match ammo. After messing with it for a year, I finally got it to run by removing 10% of the bolt mass and clipping a few coils off the spring. It was never a stellar shooter, but I got it shooting SK Long Range decently. It won’t feed anything but a cone shaped bullet, so none of the better quality Eley will work.

literally the day I got it sorted out so it was shooting reliably and accurately I had a squib at the end of the day. Didn’t notice it and shot it out with the next round. It bulged the barrel in that spot and now it doesn’t shoot. I give up.

• Sad
Reactions: Sniperwannabee
Completely opposite experience for me. I have 2 CL ARs, carbine and rifle length with Krieger barrels. Both are capable of 1/4” and the service and support have been outstanding. (Though the CLE chamber is tight, Redding die doesn’t size quite enough, Hornady and Dillon dies work fine)

View attachment 7318082

Uhh, rimfire? Or do you reload your rimfire with varget?

Sound slike I maybe need to look at nordic

I have 2 CLE uppers. They are very accurate and run well.

If they are going to jam, it will be after the 1st shot when it tried to feed a round out of the mag. One way around that is to download the mags by a few. Then it is perfect.

I have 2 CLE uppers. They are very accurate and run well.

If they are going to jam, it will be after the 1st shot when it tried to feed a round out of the mag. One way around that is to download the mags by a few. Then it is perfect.

So no trouble with 5 rounds? And what kind of groups do you get with match ammo at 50

Hoser and I are friends. He's the one who turned me on to CLE. I'll let him answer about the accuracy of his. Mine was shooting just into 1 MOA at 50 and 100 before I broke it. That was with Eley Target and SK Long Range. If it had reliably fed EPS bullets, I'm sure it would have been better. We never could figure out why his ran so well and mine didn't. I even swapped his guts into my upper. No Bueno.

I can confirm that once I got mine running it was the first round on a 10 round mag that caused problems. Loaded with 8 or 9 it ran like a sewing machine.

If you get one and it won't run, I can give you the rundown on what I did to mine to get it to go. The short story is that subsonic ammo didn't have enough energy to reliably cycle the bolt. Reducing bolt mass and spring force solved it.

I'm still on the fence about what I'm going to do with mine. My thinking for today (it changes every 15 minutes) is that I'm going to chop the barrel to get rid of the bulged spot and see how it shoots. If the accuracy comes back, I'll run it on an SBR lower.

So no trouble with 5 rounds? And what kind of groups do you get with match ammo at 50

No trouble at all. In fact my service rifle upper had only seen mags loaded to 5 for the first 8-10K rounds because back then the targets we used at the Olympic Training Center were paper. So we changed out targets every 5 shots. Now days it is all electronic targets and life is much easier.

Groups run about 3/8 at 50 meters with lot tested ammo. Sometimes it would shoot a group in the ones and sometimes they could open up to about 1/2. But overall it was a good solid 3/8 at 50 and 1 inch at 100.

The only bad thing is the M261 mag inserts. They dont make them that hold any more than that. I never got around to trying the Black Dog mags. That is on my to-do list.

573FEF14-2398-4935-8AF5-14963E067A72_1_201_a.jpeg
D244EF54-AA8F-45A8-A39B-FCAF4B18C48D_1_201_a.jpeg

That is a very nice looking rifle and accuracy I am looking for. Did you buy the kit or complete upper

If you buy a complete upper from CLE and it doesn't work, they will make it right. Don't know how they handle the kits, as there is so much variation in parts, I don't know how you could ever warranty anything.....what part is causing the trouble, mine or theirs?

I've had 2 of them (complete uppers) and both were 3/8" at 50 yard guns with good ammo and worked perfectly with good ammo. Used both Black Dog mags and inserts (inserts may need polished, as they are typical military stuff with rough edges and finish.)

So these will run with regular black dog mags, I like that

I have a .22 26" match upper from them but I've only taken in to the range once so far. Accuracy was comparable to my early model 40X. The magazine inserts didn't feed very well. I have some Black Dog mags but haven't tried them yet. I'm not sure I would buy one again but I don't plan on selling it.

Polish the feed lips and make sure the inserts are fully seated properly in the host mag. It's easy to have the insert slightly "off" when you install them.
Good quality round nose standard velocity ammo is what these are set up for, and anything else may cause issues.