• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

compensator question

Francqua

Private
Minuteman
Apr 7, 2012
Portland, OR
Looking for feedback / opinions on a compensator / brake. I have looked at so many ads and youtube videos that I am sick. Looked at Blackout / Breakout; BattleComp; SuperComp, PWC FSC, etc. My primary goal is to improve my follow up shots and control muzzle movement. I don't to cause my range neighbors hearing loss. I don't want to buy mutliple items and do alot of trial and error and return this and return that. Brothers (and sisters) I need your feedback.

Re: compensator question

I just had a Holland Radial Brake installed on my rifle. I mainly got the brake at the same time that I was having the gun threaded for a suppressor.

The rule with Brakes is the louder they are off to the sides the more effective they are. I didn't really think things were much "louder" really. There was a felt impact of a bit of a shock wave when sitting beside the rifle with the spotter. It was a bit more annoying and I'd probably try and warn people that it was going to happen but I didn't feel it was really that big of a deal.

However the results were IMPRESSIVE. I didn't really expect much but what I got was flat out amazing. I've got a nerve that runs along my clavicle and shooting prone with heavy recoil rifles gives me trouble. With this gun before the brake was installed 15 to 20 rounds would start to hurt me to the point where I was going to feel it for a few days. The day after I got the brake installed I was so impressed with it I ran through 150 rounds. The most impressive part was that even at VERY high magnification 25X at 100 yards I was STILL able to spot my impacts. I used to have to be out to at least 500 yards before spotting shots was all that possible.

You can see a review that I wrote up on this brake here:
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3664715#Post3664715

I just had my first brake installed. I couldn't believe the difference on my 300 WM.

I haven't noticed a difference in noise, but of course I'm behind the rifle, not to the sides.

But, I shoot mostly on my private range by my self so I don't disturb anyone.

I did figure out brakes are expensive, cause now I got to get some more.

Next is my 375 H&H. I really like shooting it but I can't shoot it very often because of the recoil (I'm getting wimpy in my old age). If that works I'm gonna put one on my 416 Rigby. I'd like to shoot it more but that sucker kicks. I'd like to shoot it with something besides cast bullets and Trailboss.

I'm Hooked.

I run a PWS comp on my FN 24" SPR. Very happy with it. I wish someone makes a comp with threading along with a suppressor in a package.