• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Competition Dies?

cotntop

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 2, 2011
tarheel,nc
Are competition seater dies (Redding) worth the extra money? I tried a set out and bullet seems to seat easier than my normal RCBS seater. I get shavings sometimes and think it is from bullet not properly aligned. Any input would be appreciated. THANKS

Re: Competition Dies?

If you get shavings try a little more chamfer on the case mouth. My inside chamfer cutter slipped and I started having problems with shavings.

I use the Forster micrometer seater die for my precision 30-06. I have had nothing bad to say about it, it seats smoothly and consistently for each round.

You don't NEED it, but it's useful when you're looking for a specific change in seating depth. Lets say you know you're touching the lands and you want to seat out .005" or .010" into the lands, its a simple turn of the micrometer. With a regular die you'll have to guess and check.

If you have a known depth for an established load, I would pass on it.

If you're shaving copper, like others said just chamfer more. I got the same accuracy from the redding comp seater as I did with the lee seater. Not sure about the runout but I'm really only concerned with accuracy.

The term "competiton dies" is a marketing ploy, there is no valid reason to market them in such a way. The Forster and Redding versions do have a full body length sleeve that aligns the case and bullet before seating starts and that USUALLY reduces bullet runout compared to conventional dies or other 'comp' die designs that only align the bullet to the case mouth. But, fact is, if the parts of a conventional seater properly align, AND the user's technique is good, the more costly dies won't do anything; that's not common tho.

Are they worth the added cost? Well, I buy 'em for my better rifles but not for most of my big game hunting rifles. At best, the difference on target isn't vast but those who buy them think they are worth the cost, those that don't will disagree.

Micrometer seating heads are a user aid, they add nothing to the quality of the ammo produced.