• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Competition Events Competition Dynamics "Codgers and Misfits" Match

Starbuck

Visualize No Hippies
Minuteman
Sep 2, 2009
Boulder County, CO
Just got this from CD. I'm 55+, shot the traditional Steel Safari four times, and I'm OK with flagged targets, but "gun bearers" and "helpers" ? Am I being insensitive? Should I GAF?

Last edited:
That sound like a great time. A father and kid team, would make this the perfect event. I mean take dad carries the rifle, kiddo carries the binos and LRF. And go hiking thru the hills.

They've got a division for just about anyone. Should be a great time for anyone to work on their field skills.

Good to hear some positive perspectives on this - something I need to work on LOL.
I'm also liking the NV side match....

I read the description and I immediatly wished my son was older. I would totally carry a rifle and spot for him during this match in a heart beat.

I read the description and I immediatly wished my son was older. I would totally carry a rifle and spot for him during this match in a heart beat.
This is great! Not sure that the CD crew, JP Rifles, and @Zak Smith had kids in mind when they created this match, but it would be a great unintended consequence to get younger shooters involved.

Reactions: Eric32
Anyone from the Houston area going to this match?

You don’t have to have a helper. You don’t have to be old AF. It’s run similarly to the regular one but with flagged targets and it’s still a good time. Find a division that fits what you like and go nuts.

I am 68 and I shot it last year by myself and it was my first time in this type match. I had only shot local 3 gun matches. It was a fun but humbling experience. First day several stages had 50+MPH winds and my pockets and magazines were full of sand by day’s end.
I will try and make it again this year.

Reactions: Huckmeat
I've shot every CD match at one point over the past ~10 years. I've shot steel safari 4 times.

I shot codgers and misfits. It's really about fun. If you have shot safari, you know almost everyone misses several targets because they are just hard to find. Misfits match fixes that. So much fun to just get out and shoot a field match and just get to shoot it. Get to spend lots of time chatting with old friends, making new ones, having a good time. The top shooters will still win.

Some of the guys who need help out on the course have been out competing and helping RO CD matches for many many years. It's great to see them get out and get at it. Most of the top seniors still place well in 'regular' NRL style matches. I'm glad they have the match, and I go out and shoot it and its a great chance to try something new and see how it works in field conditions without risking a steel safari on it.

Reactions: hondo1312