• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Competition Dynamics Matches

Mike4837

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 14, 2014
Iowa
Frank has referenced Competition Dynamics matches a few times in the podcasts and on paper they look awesome. I really like the idea of the Team Safari or steel safari. I recently heard from a competitor of the Team Safari that they only shot about 60 round of rifle and less than a dozen pistol rounds for the whole 3 day match. That seems incredibly low to me. Tell me about the match. What is the draw that makes it worth shooting a handful of rounds?

Not all their matches are straight up rifle matches, they are adventure challenges having you move across a lot of ground and you do other tasks too. Open locks, etc.

it depends on the match, one of them you go 30 miles overnight and I think you only shoot like 20 rounds if that.

Reactions: Holliday
The Sniper Adventure Challenge makes a lot of sense to a low round count. You're doing so much more than just shooting. I guess I'm specifically thinking of the Steel Safari and Team Safari. I had a co-worker interested in the Team Safari until he heard the round count was lower than he expected. My understanding is those matches aren't heavy on the rucking, so I guess my question is, what else do you do to fill the time? I'm trying to find a way to sell it to a partner and also decide if it's worth while for me to drive 900 miles to the match.

The rifle shooter at the Team Safari will have 6 shots per stage on each field course, of which there are three. Each course will have 7 or 8 stages so expect to shoot somewhere in the neighborhood of 140 rounds on field courses if you get all of your rounds off. The assault stages will afford the rifle shooter more rifle shots as well. I have shot numerous CD matches as the rifle shooter and have never left there feeling like I didn't get to shoot enough. A team will spend around 4 hours on a field course, come back to the front range and then shoot two assault courses each on Friday and Saturday, Sunday will just be the field course. While you aren't being pushed on the clock you will have to walk a few miles a day carrying all of your equipment during a field course.

I have been glad to hear Frank mention the CD matches during the podcast, most of the issues he's brought up about other match styles are "cured" by the way CD runs their matches. I can say without a doubt in my opinion you will be glad you made the 900 mile drive.

Reactions: Mike4837
The rifle shooter at the Team Safari will have 6 shots per stage on each field course, of which there are three. Each course will have 7 or 8 stages so expect to shoot somewhere in the neighborhood of 140 rounds on field courses if you get all of your rounds off. The assault stages will afford the rifle shooter more rifle shots as well. I have shot numerous CD matches as the rifle shooter and have never left there feeling like I didn't get to shoot enough. A team will spend around 4 hours on a field course, come back to the front range and then shoot two assault courses each on Friday and Saturday, Sunday will just be the field course. While you aren't being pushed on the clock you will have to walk a few miles a day carrying all of your equipment during a field course.

I have been glad to hear Frank mention the CD matches during the podcast, most of the issues he's brought up about other match styles are "cured" by the way CD runs their matches. I can say without a doubt in my opinion you will be glad you made the 900 mile drive.

This is great info! Thank you. I really love the idea of a match that is more than simply addressing a barricade, shooting a few targets and your done. I like the idea of CD matches cuz they tests more skills than shooting alone. Movement doesn't bother me. I competed in Mammoth this year so I'm not shy about carrying my gear, despite the fact I did poorly at it. haha

Thank you again.