• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Competition Pants

roboto1138

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2011
West Chester, Pennsylvania
I used to think a lot of the guys wearing the tactical/BDU type stuff were in the hunt to be the tacti-coolest kids in town, but after this last weekend at Reade Range, I have come to realize the utility of clothing in a competition scenario. The running, falling, and crawling onto shale and sticker bushes and the associated cuts and scrapes make you realize that with the proper gear you might have been a little more comfortable.

I am looking for experience and opinion on good BDU type pants for competition use. I would like something in multicam that would take a drop-in knee pad, multiple pockets, and preferably a zipper fly. I have been looking at Propper, Tru-Spec, SKD, and 5.11. I am a big guy and what I have read the 5.11's seem like they might be tight through the crotch/thigh area, but I have no experience to verify this. I would like to keep the price around $50.00-$80.00. I can't justify spending $200.00+ on Crye's. Anyone have any experience with any of these brands and any recommendations?

Josh

They might not be the tacti-coolest but look at woolrich elite tactical pants. I have worn the 5.11 and they are ok but the woolrich are great. Oh I'm 6'5" about 270 pounds and the fit is great.

I have a couple pairs of 5.11 and they are pretty nice (I'm 6.2 240) and I have pair of ce Schmidt work pants from tractor supply tht I love.

Anyone wear vertex?

Wear VERTX? Yes; I have 8 pairs, wear them pretty much every day (not for tacticool reasons). Highly recommend! Very well made, great fit, comfortable, durable, priced right (I've found them as low as $30.00 on sale). As an added bonus (at least from my perspective) they're low-profile, look pretty much like a regular pair of Khakis. I have Woolrich too, which were my previous favorite, but now they only get worn if all my Vertx are in the wash.

Check out the Mascot Lerida pants from Repcon NW. They're not camo, but are very comfortable and durable.
MASCOT® *Lerida* with Kevlar® Knee Pad Pockets
These have really gained a following on the 3-gun circuit and a few of us in the Pacific Northwet are using them for precision rifle training and competition. Not Multicam but definitely better made than most pants out there...and they're relatively cheap.
Their knee pads that fit into the pad sleeve on the pant are great and only run $13

5.11 are definitely tight in the crotch and legs, so I would recommend staying away from them. I wear the Woolrich Elite and they're great, but I don't know why they're not showing on the website. I just picked up four more pairs off Promotive last month. They don't come in Multicam though.

5 pair of vertx here, they're fantastic, and not having to deal with velco or buttons on your pockets is a definite plus. However, they don't have pockets for knee-pads, so you're going to need to pick up a pair that fit over the pants.

Thanks for all the info guys. I am not hell bent on Multicam, I was just figuring that they would work well for turkey season and archery also. I might have to give the Mascot pants a try. Anyone have experience with Tru Spec vs. Propper?

I have had great luck with Propper .I use their BDU Pants for NRA High Power Shooting Across the Course.They hold up very well and have plenty of crotch room.Just stay away from the copy cat cheap BDU's.You get what you pay for.The cheap one will fall apart in no time.

Regards,Mike

I know you say you can't justify the Cryes, but honestly you get what you pay for with those, and they are worth it. If you are a big guy, then you may be familiar with the problem of pants staying up and not creeping/falling down when you run, and there is a night and day difference between 5.11 tactical pants even with a belt and Cryes (without a belt, even) in this regard. The Crye pants fit snugly about the hips and have velcro straps on the waist area to adjust the fit perfectly (though that said, they do run tight to begin with - buy up a waist size and see). And that's to say nothing of the awesome knee protection on the Cryes which is far better than the pocket system on the 5.11s. Buy once, Crye once, I say.

An option that will probably fit you better and also have less of a tacti-fool look are the pants offered by Duluth Trading. They have super durable pants that have multiple pockets for all your knick knacks and don't cost an arm and a leg....plus you can wear them in public when you're not at the range.

Men's Pants - Duluth Trading

Buy once, Crye once, I say.

Nice.... I ended up in the same mindset, but with Arcteryx. I have Vertx and also some multicam Army Aircrew pants that are pretty comfortable to practice in, if you want to save a couple bucks you can find multicam aircrew or fire retardant BDU pants on eBay for cheap. Both have velcro pockets in the knees for soft or hard knee pad inserts and the FR pants are nice and lightweight for hot weather.

An option that will probably fit you better and also have less of a tacti-fool look are the pants offered by Duluth Trading. They have super durable pants that have multiple pockets for all your knick knacks and don't cost an arm and a leg....plus you can wear them in public when you're not at the range.

Men's Pants - Duluth Trading

This! They even have a pair with knee pad pockets and the knee pads only cost 8 bucks. I wear these things to work and they are super durable. Made out of fire hose material. Lots of ball room as well.

I have regular Propper BDU's with the knee pad inserts as well as Woolrich Elite pants and both work fine for anything I've encountered. I've wanted to try the Crye pants with the nicer knee pad but am on the fence same as you.

For some reason the Wollrich pants in green are a different/thicker material than the coyote (I think coyote is ripstop).

I wear 5.11's daily at work, the tan ones that just look like cargo's. I usually pretty tough on pants but these last a looooooooooong time.

For comps, I actually wear carharts.... not tacticool like the other kiddo's but comfy and bomb proof.

I know you say you can't justify the Cryes, but honestly you get what you pay for with those, and they are worth it. If you are a big guy, then you may be familiar with the problem of pants staying up and not creeping/falling down when you run, and there is a night and day difference between 5.11 tactical pants even with a belt and Cryes (without a belt, even) in this regard. The Crye pants fit snugly about the hips and have velcro straps on the waist area to adjust the fit perfectly (though that said, they do run tight to begin with - buy up a waist size and see). And that's to say nothing of the awesome knee protection on the Cryes which is far better than the pocket system on the 5.11s. Buy once, Crye once, I say.

I bitched about the price of these for a while. I have Vertex, US Army, Marine, and AF pants, LA Police, etc... and the Crye's are what I choose for any big match, or anything in rugged terrain or run and gun. You just can't beat the construction, fit, and the best knee protection in the biz.

Check out the Mascot Lerida pants from Repcon NW. They're not camo, but are very comfortable and durable.
MASCOT® *Lerida* with Kevlar® Knee Pad Pockets
Im wearing the Lerida pants now, I've got the black, grey, and tan. I have some 511 pants in camo, but I feel like a mall ninja when I go to dinner after a comp wearing them.
Jake, Tactical Supply in Yakima carries them in the store if you want to try them on before you buy them.
Scott

Good link to RepCon NW. Lots of interesting apparel. Thanks.

Anyone try KITANICA? I've got a Buddy who I call a "Gear Whore" and he won a bunch of Kitanica gear. Luckily (for ME) the pants were too long for him, but a perfect fit for me.
I wear them hunting, gopher shooting, at the Range, gun shows, etc. Tons of pockets, tough as nails, double knees for shooting, etc. Only DOWN side...they are Expensive.

No doubt about it the "proper tool for the job" also applies to clothing for shooting or Matches.

Good link to RepCon NW. Lots of interesting apparel. Thanks.

Anyone try KITANICA? I've got a Buddy who I call a "Gear Whore" and he won a bunch of Kitanica gear. Luckily (for ME) the pants were too long for him, but a perfect fit for me.
I wear them hunting, gopher shooting, at the Range, gun shows, etc. Tons of pockets, tough as nails, double knees for shooting, etc. Only DOWN side...they are Expensive.

No doubt about it the "proper tool for the job" also applies to clothing for shooting or Matches.

Incredibly expensive indeed. I have a pair and while they are bombproof, they are heavy for a pair of pants and incredibly hot to wear. They also have a distinct tactical/cool guy look to them so they aren't the best for discreet wear.

Something that covers your small penis is not going to make any difference if you can't shoot worth a dam, wear whatever fits, and is comfortable, if it has thigh pockets good, if not oh well.

I like the dark camo patterns, that way i can spill food, crawl in the dirt, wipe off an AR bolt on the side pocket, blood smears don't show & house painting ...... no worries

i do have a few pair of kaki , coyote 5.11's (like the elastic side better than the velcro sided ones)

Something that covers your small penis is not going to make any difference if you can't shoot worth a dam, wear whatever fits, and is comfortable, if it has thigh pockets good, if not oh well.

LOL, wow.

To the OP:

Can attest to the ruggedness of the Crye pants. Worn multiple versions in places where quality counts. If I could afford it I'd replace all my duty pants with them. Also have a couple pair of carhart pants that have lasted years.

I like the Truspec 24/7 line. Very durable, like the mag pouches inside the cargo pockets and the small hip pockets for light and knife placement.

Last edited:

I "think" the point of the OP is that tactical matches are shot "on the fly" so to speak, with a lot of running around and sliding around on shale, gravel, dirt, broken glass, etc. He is looking for pants that can both withstand that (at least without showing major immediate wear) and to protect him from these same perils (abrasion resistant, knee pad pockets, etc). While shooting well is a requisite to placing well in a match (and you are likely not to garner any favorable mention solely for your fashion sense) being comfortable is often a requisite to shooting well.

They haven't gotten mention here- likely as they are not "tacticool-" but I prefer pants from The North Face. They are sufficiently mainstream that they do not garner any looks, have plenty of pockets for whatever you carry, are made from lightweight- yet reasonably abrasion resistant- synthetic material that is also water repellant. A bonus- that I for a long time resisted- is that the lower legs zip off so that you also have cargo shorts in the same package (wad up and stuff the lower legs in the cargo pockets). And, they have a lifetime warranty on material and workmanship- I used this recently on a fly zipper that ripped out. They do not have knee pad pockets, but that is the tradeoff of not looking tacticool at the grocery store...

I "think" the point of the OP is that tactical matches are shot "on the fly" so to speak, with a lot of running around and sliding around on shale, gravel, dirt, broken glass, etc. He is looking for pants that can both withstand that (at least without showing major immediate wear) and to protect him from these same perils (abrasion resistant, knee pad pockets, etc). While shooting well is a requisite to placing well in a match (and you are likely not to garner any favorable mention solely for your fashion sense) being comfortable is often a requisite to shooting well. P

They haven't gotten mention here- likely as they are not "tacticool-" but I prefer pants from The North Face. They are sufficiently mainstream that they do not garner any looks, have plenty of pockets for whatever you carry, are made from lightweight- yet reasonably abrasion resistant- synthetic material that is also water repellant. A bonus- that I for a long time resisted- is that the lower legs zip off so that you also have cargo shorts in the same package (wad up and stuff the lower legs in the cargo pockets). And, they have a lifetime warranty on material and workmanship- I used this recently on a fly zipper that ripped out. They do not have knee pad pockets, but that is the tradeoff of not looking tacticool at the grocery store...

That was my original intent starting ths thread. I am hard on clothes to begin with so i want something durable that will last me a season or 2. I like to shot the practical type matches with alot of movement. I wear carhardt carpenter type pants now and find they do not have the extras the tactical type pants have such as pockets and reinforced areas that you want when crawling through briars, shale, etc.

After reading this thread it made me reconsider my Columbia ROC pants. While very comfy and lightweight, they provide almost no comfort on rocks etc and they had a tendency to soak up water a bit. I picked up a pair of Tru-spec 24/7 pants in ripstop material that also have Gortex for under $50 at the Pottstown Army Navy (going local). You are close enough to go and try on a pair or two to see what fits you well. I wore them for the first time last weekend (Mayberry) and they worked great and kept me dry and my knees unbloody. They cleaned up really well from the mud and grass stains. I didn't use any pads in the knee pockets but they are there if you need them.

The Capn'

I used to think a lot of the guys wearing the tactical/BDU type stuff were in the hunt to be the tacti-coolest kids in town, but after this last weekend at Reade Range, I have come to realize the utility of clothing in a competition scenario. The running, falling, and crawling onto shale and sticker bushes and the associated cuts and scrapes make you realize that with the proper gear you might have been a little more comfortable.

I am looking for experience and opinion on good BDU type pants for competition use. I would like something in multicam that would take a drop-in knee pad, multiple pockets, and preferably a zipper fly. I have been looking at Propper, Tru-Spec, SKD, and 5.11. I am a big guy and what I have read the 5.11's seem like they might be tight through the crotch/thigh area, but I have no experience to verify this. I would like to keep the price around $50.00-$80.00. I can't justify spending $200.00+ on Crye's. Anyone have any experience with any of these brands and any recommendations?

Josh

I wear TAD, but get whooped by guys in Wranglers. For me, they fit well, and last a long time.

I wear TAD, but get whooped by guys in Wranglers.

I wear the Wranglers.

Just kidding, I sucked it up and bought a pair of Crye pants. I really like how there are two sets of cargo pockets on each leg, one is the perfect size for a 10 round AI mag and the other is perfect for notepads and is accessible even when prone. The kneepads are super rugged as well, great for barricade work.

After reading this thread it made me reconsider my Columbia ROC pants. While very comfy and lightweight, they provide almost no comfort on rocks etc and they had a tendency to soak up water a bit. I picked up a pair of Tru-spec 24/7 pants in ripstop material that also have Gortex for under $50 at the Pottstown Army Navy (going local). You are close enough to go and try on a pair or two to see what fits you well. I wore them for the first time last weekend (Mayberry) and they worked great and kept me dry and my knees unbloody. They cleaned up really well from the mud and grass stains. I didn't use any pads in the knee pockets but they are there if you need them.

The Capn'

Thanks Capn'.... I will have to take a ride up and check them out. Where is the Army Navy at up there?

Well it's been my experience that cotton canvas lasts longer than rip stop, and most times is cheaper, being a cheap F that i am, I wore my BDU pants as work clothes after i got out of the AF, 3 pairs of cotton and 4 rip stop, taking airplanes apart fixing and putting them back together took there toll on them, the rip stop basically fell apart from washing, once a tear/rip happens its only a short time before they are trashed, I still have a pair of cotton BDU pants(they don't fit) stained from grease but are still serviceable and 24 years old. I use the same logic for my shooting attire, TruSpec 24-7 cotton canvas pants are comfortable, wear extremely well, but I hate the waist snap, I also have some in rip stop I wear as casual clothes, but not at matches or work, Propper sucks, 5-11 sucks and is way overpriced, Crye GTG, Dickies cargo pants from Walmart GTG.

Thanks Capn'.... I will have to take a ride up and check them out. Where is the Army Navy at up there?

They are right at 229 E High Street in Pottstown. They have a bunch of stuff there and it is like an old AN store....stuff everywhere.

See you later this month at NHRPC.

The Capn'

Carhartt double front pants in the grey or sage. They are heavy enough to cushion the rocks and brambles. They also have pockets for knee pads. Will last a good long time.

Capn'

How warm are those gortex lined pants? I can see where they would have been great at Mayberry last weekend. But would they be too much on a warm, sunny day?

I do like my Woolrich pant quite a bit. But not needing rain pants would be a big advantage.

Thanks.

Capn'

How warm are those gortex lined pants? I can see where they would have been great at Mayberry last weekend. But would they be too much on a warm, sunny day?

I do like my Woolrich pant quite a bit. But not needing rain pants would be a big advantage.

Thanks.

Sled,
To be honest, not too sure. That was the first time I wore them...haha. They are a sturdy pant but I don't think of them as being of a real heavy weight. I think that compared to a rain pant they are going to breath a bit more just by default. I guess I will find out as the summer and series progresses.

The Capn'