• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Competition seating dies

RSAshooter

Private
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2017
Hi gents

I'd value your opinions ​​​​​in my quest for a good competition seating die. Between Redding comp, Forster bench rest and forster micrometer die, which would be better. Are the micrometer dies worth the convenience? I can get the benchrest forster for a good deal locally, the Redding for more than double, and could ship a micrometer forster in the middle price wise from state side.

Which ​​​​would you choose?

Thank​​​​s guys

Regards ​​​
Evan

Where the micrometer seater come into their own is if you're shooting a caliber with different bullets, the convenience is worth the price for sure IMO. For my 338 for example I shoot SMK's, Bergers, cutting edge & flatlines. The micrometer (in this case, a custom Whidden) die makes quickley changing to the correct seating depth fast & easy. If I was only shooting one bullet probably wouldn't care except for the fact that during load development, the micrometers make the process a lot easer also. I've found the Redding micrometers for my other calibers to be very accurate & fast as well. In some instances I have had to add a Vld seating stem as well.

Last edited:
My totally biased choice is the Forester Mic tops. I like the feature of being able to sneak up on a loading depth and then re-setting the die to a zero, from where one can accurately add/subtract depth as needed. I also think the larger diameter adjustment barrel of the Forester allows more accurate fine tuning. If brass prep is done correctly, the Forester will set bullets as concentric as anything on the market in their price range.

For the record, I run Redding bushing sizing dies and Forester seating dies. If I weren't so deep into Redding sized bushings, I'd like to try a .308 Forester sizer, either a bushing model or honed.

My Co-Ax press says Bonanza, not Forester. Like I said, totally biased.

Used all of them and they all work so pick your poison. They make life very easy when trying to get to a particular seating depth. Chamber seating dies have micrometer heads as well.

I prefer Redding. tried one set of Whidden didn't care for it at all. I have 6 Redding micrometer seating dies. They are expensive but they work every time and always repeat when I go from bullet to bullet

Thank you gents for your time and input. Going from a standard set of Reddings it sounds like I can't go wrong with either. Thinking I should not exclude going for a set and calling the upgrade of the sizer at the same time

You "stateside" is confusing to me, if youre outside of america you may have other options that would be more affordable and not give anything up but I like both the Redding Comp as well as the Forster Microtop, just get one with the sliding sleeve. I have outfitted all of my old normal seaters with micro tops, its just sooo much more convenient. There definitely is a price savings getting the set but if you already have a sizer then thats just doubling up of an expense.

Last edited:
+1 for Forster Micro. Redding comp is great too but I do not see a reason for the additional price. Personally Ive not had great success with Whidden seating dies, but others have

@ spife. Yeah I am in South Africa. Though we have some great engineers around doing great things there aren't really die manufacturers around and what tends to be on your bench is from the US whether bought locally or imported directly. Majority of my bench is Redding but I am not oblivious to shooting oneself in the foot by being brand loyal. Hence my question.

Thank ​​​​​you for your input gents. Think I'll revise my entire die lineup starting with the seater and then move on to the resizing process. Considering the lee collet die in conjunction with the Redding body die. Seems to be getting good results if used correctly. Any experience on these on your side?

@ spife. Yeah I am in South Africa. Though we have some great engineers around doing great things there aren't really die manufacturers around and what tends to be on your bench is from the US whether bought locally or imported directly. Majority of my bench is Redding but I am not oblivious to shooting oneself in the foot by being brand loyal. Hence my question.

Thank ​​​​​you for your input gents. Think I'll revise my entire die lineup starting with the seater and then move on to the resizing process. Considering the lee collet die in conjunction with the Redding body die. Seems to be getting good results if used correctly. Any experience on these on your side?
That's what I use. Redding type S FLD w/o internals for body sizing and bumping the shoulder, Lee Collet for neck sizing and Forster Micrometer for seating. I have very good results with them with a very low runout.

I use the Forster Micro for 223 and 308 but either that or the Redding would be fine. I just like the large head on the Forster.

Fantastic thank you gents. Then I trust I'm choosing the right path!