• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Competition Shooting

spotter300

Private
Minuteman
Aug 3, 2009
Round Rock, Tx
Ladies and Gentlemen -

I am located in Round Rock, TX and would some information on competition shooting. I have never shot in comps before, however I would like to start. My rig is listed on my signature, and is a good shooter. I am sure, there are many different classes. I just don't know where to start. Any info would be great.

Thanks for your time,
Kevin

Re: Competition Shooting

F-class is a good start.

Local tac comps as well.

Typically this can be intimidating but hell, damn near everyone is willing to help in some way.

I'm not familiar with your local stuff but I imagine most ranges have flyers posted with the events there.

Big +1 on the F-Class.

Also subscribe to the online training. You will learn LOTS!

Practice the fundamentals and dry fire, dry fire, dry fire.

Then get in as many comps as you can. Don't worry if you don't know anyone, I didn't when I first started. You'll get to know people fast and most everyone is willing to guide newb along.

Good luck,
CM

F-Class is also were I started three years ago. I still shoot F-Class once a month. You will meet a lot of good people and expand to Tac match's from there.

be carfull though, it's addictive and expensive. I just drove down to Salt Lake City to pickup $2000 worth of AR500 to build targets and start shooting match's here in Bellevue, Idaho. Trying to drive less and shoot more.

Good luck to you in your endevour.

Jay Seaquist

Once you go to a competition or two (there are a bunch in Texas), you will get to know the core group of people who shoot most of them and are regulars here. Everyone is trying to win, but they will help you out any way they can, especially if you let it be known that you are new (with wind calls, etc.).

stick around ....lots of great guys around Austin....and then there is Tiger Valley near Waco.....

Here in Houston, at Bayou Rifles, www.bayourifles.com, we have F-Class matches twice a month.

On the 1st Sunday of the month we have a 1000 yard match, and on the 3rd Sunday of the month, we alternate between 600 and 300 yard matches.

We have a 300 yard match one week from today. It is $20 to shoot for non-Bayou members, and ALL ARE WELCOME.

At 300, we shoot 2x sighters, and 20x for record, 3 times, 66 shots total. At 1k, it is unlimited sighters and 20x for record, 3 times.

Great group and a great place to get into the game. Send me an PM if you have any questions, I'm happy to help!

Mark

Spotter 300, we have F-Class matches in New Braunfels once a month, we shoot 500 yard F-Class match the first saturday of every month at CTSA, check out the calendar for the next shoot.
http://silhouette-texas.us/

My gunsmith is also from Round Rock, hell of a guy and hell of a gunsmith, check out his website.
www.tumbleweedsrifles.com

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MrBrown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">superde...are there any comps around the Bryan/College Station area? </div></div>

Not at this time. A friend and I were talking about putting one together last year at a local range (at the range owner's request), but then the range owner lost interest.

That's cool...well please let me know if anything ever develops. I'm just getting into long range shooting and would like the opportunity to hang out with some guys that really know how to shoot!! Thanks -Brown

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mark Walker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here in Houston, at Bayou Rifles, www.bayourifles.com, we have F-Class matches twice a month.

On the 1st Sunday of the month we have a 1000 yard match, and on the 3rd Sunday of the month, we alternate between 600 and 300 yard matches.

We have a 300 yard match one week from today. It is $20 to shoot for non-Bayou members, and ALL ARE WELCOME.

At 300, we shoot 2x sighters, and 20x for record, 3 times, 66 shots total. At 1k, it is unlimited sighters and 20x for record, 3 times.

Great group and a great place to get into the game. Send me an PM if you have any questions, I'm happy to help!

Mark </div></div>

+1
Come over to Houston.

I have actually shot at Bayou before, nice range. I think we are going to start shooting there more often to get ready for the Texas State Long Range Championship in October, can't wait.

How many Open Class shooters here?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mark Walker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here in Houston, at Bayou Rifles, www.bayourifles.com, we have F-Class matches twice a month.

Mark </div></div>

I'm trying to talk a buddy of mine into making the trip this weekend...probably not to shoot this one but just check it out and see what's what.. Thanks -Brown

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MrBrown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...would like the opportunity to hang out with some guys that really know how to shoot!! Thanks -Brown </div></div>

I don't know that I fall into that catagory LOL, but I do enjoy it.

If you get a chance, go down to Rifles Only and get some training, it will be money well spent. I went down there 5-6 years ago to learn about this discipline, and had a great time as well as learned a ton.

I've also heard good things about Tiger Valley outside Waco for instruction. I've shot at the range there and met the owner TJ, and they both are GTG.

Mr. Brown, you are better off jumping in with both feet. Take your rifle and ammo and give it a try. The first time I went to an F-Class match in New Braunfels I didn't take a rifle, but before I knew it they handed me a rifle and said "here you go, aim for the X". I think you should just shoot a match, it will be fun and and extensive learning experience.

"Aim for the X"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DGosnell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mark and I are F-Open shooters at Bayou. I know there are a few other people from Bayou here but I don't know their screen names. </div></div>

Well, looks like you have some competition coming your way, I shoot open as well, 6.5-284 with 139 Lapua Scenars. But wouldn't worry too much, it's going to be my first real 1000 yard match, last time I was there I took my 300 WM and didn't have a good load for it. This time I will be better prepared!

-X3M

X3M, glad to hear you can come and join us. Watch out for Gosnell, he was on the Gold Medal Winning Rutland team at the FCWC in Bisley. He's trouble...

OK boys... don't make me bring the .308 tac rifle out & show you how it's done...lol

Mark, I've heard good things about ya man. I hear you can press the trigger with the best of em. We all know what Gosnell can do...lol

I'm just gonna have to kick Mark Pharr in the junk & kidnap him for a day so we can go shoot this thing.

Cheers lads!

-Wil

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK boys... don't make me bring the .308 tac rifle out & show you how it's done...lol

Mark, I've heard good things about ya man. I hear you can press the trigger with the best of em. We all know what Gosnell can do...lol

I'm just gonna have to kick Mark Pharr in the junk & kidnap him for a day so we can go shoot this thing.

Cheers lads!

-Wil </div></div>

We need to go shoot this Wil, except for I'm going to be in Open class and you and Pharr are going to be in the "ballitically challenged" class, sorry, I mean F-T/R, LOL.

-X3M

We need to go shoot this Wil, except for I'm going to be in Open class and you and Pharr are going to be in the "ballitically challenged" class, sorry, I mean F-T/R, LOL.

-X3M [/quote]

Good idea. Drag Pharr over here. Haven't seen him in a while.

Hey David, we're not ballistically challenged, you guys are wind reading challenged!! LOL! Nice shooting in Bisley by the way.

But seriously, Kevin, as David says, you would be in F-T/R class. What length barrel do you have on your rig? As long as it is in the 24"+ range, and you are running reasonably brisk handloads (no 168's), you will be on paper at 1000 yards. Then it's just a matter of refining things.

Darrell

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: spotter300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ladies and Gentlemen -

I am located in Round Rock, TX and would some information on competition shooting. I have never shot in comps before, however I would like to start. My rig is listed on my signature, and is a good shooter. I am sure, there are many different classes. I just don't know where to start. Any info would be great.

Thanks for your time,
Kevin </div></div>

We have a highpower match at Temple Gun Club this Saturday. Come on out and shoot off your bipod or sling. You don't have to shoot the whole course if you don't want to, just infiltrate during the slow fire event at 300. We'll hang the F class target for you if you want. Course of fire is 2 sighters and 20 shots for record, a minute allocation per round. BTW, the X-ring is 1/2 minute.

To make the match challenging for you, shed the bipod and sling it

Thanks for the nice words, Wil, hope you and X3M are still planning on coming over.

Well, there is some good news and some bad news about Bayou. Just two months ago we finally got the roof over the 1k firing line replaced (destroyed by Ike).

Unfortunately, two weeks ago in a freak t-storm, it was destroyed again and is currently laying in our parking lot. We are having a work party this Sat to clean up the mess and get the crap out of the way, but we will not have a perm roof for the match in Sept.

I think we will get the party tents out, though, as they sure made a difference at the last 300, so it should be doable.

Be sure to bring lots-o-water to keep cool, and come on over and shoot some 1k with us!!!!

Mark

Mark, I believe Pharr is going for the next monthly match and so am I. Mike Downey came over last week to shoot with me at my place and he said he was going also. So that's three, I don't know if Wil is going to make this one but hope he can make the championship, it will be fun!

-X3M