• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Competitions and Rifle Cleaning

planebuilder

Private
Minuteman
Jan 24, 2012
Burleson, Texas
So I'm starting to load my gear for the 2013 Sniper Adventure Challenge and I reached for my OTTO cleaning pouch and noticed it was quite heavy (roughly 14oz), and that got me thinking... do I really need to bring cleaning supplies if I'm only going to be shooting 50-65 rounds? I've taken several long range shooting classes and have shot 120-150 rounds with only one cleaning at lunch time, but then I've also cleaned every 8-10 rounds while load developing with 2-3 fouling shots afterwards, so I know I have a clean bore POI shift of about .50" at 100yards....

What say you.... just bring the 'snake' and some patches with solvent, or forget about it all together?

I never clean the bore during matches. Might wipe out the action and chamber but never touch the bore.

Snake or clean it before you leave, but don't mess with it over the course of a match. The only time I touch the bore of the rifle is either before I leave for a match...followed by about 5 foulers...or if I am at a very humid place and there might be condensate in the bore, then I'll I'll pull the snake through once.

So I'm starting to load my gear for the 2013 Sniper Adventure Challenge and I reached for my OTTO cleaning pouch and noticed it was quite heavy (roughly 14oz), and that got me thinking... do I really need to bring cleaning supplies if I'm only going to be shooting 50-65 rounds? I've taken several long range shooting classes and have shot 120-150 rounds with only one cleaning at lunch time, but then I've also cleaned every 8-10 rounds while load developing with 2-3 fouling shots afterwards, so I know I have a clean bore POI shift of about .50" at 100yards....

What say you.... just bring the 'snake' and some patches with solvent, or forget about it all together?

If you really feel the need take the kit with you to the competition but not in your carry gear for the completion (ounces= pounds, pounds= pain) use it before/after or whatever. But I'm going on about 500 rounds since I've cleaned my barrel and so far no accuracy drop off. I'll clean the action to keep the bolt running smoothly, and maybe run a snake through if I feel that it needs it. But, I've noticed my rifle shoots best after I've shot 20-30 rounds through it. Took me about a year to figure that out, I always shot then cleaned the entire rifle as soon as I got home.

I never clean the bore unless the gun starts shooting extremely poorly with no other explanation.

It can take up to 20 rounds to re-foul the gun to the same POI. So if you clean it every time you shoot it, and you usually shoot 60 rounds in a range day, 1/3 of your expensive, meticulously produced match grade ammo is spent fouling the gun. Huge waste of money and time.

--Fargo007

Do any if you guys shoot suppressed? The crown of my rifle gets really crusty with carbon after only 10-15 rounds through my 30P-1. Do you guys clean the crown during a match?

I agree that my rifle shoots best after 8-12 fouling shots. I use old reloads for foulers, so its slightly cheaper...

Do any if you guys shoot suppressed? The crown of my rifle gets really crusty with carbon after only 10-15 rounds through my 30P-1. Do you guys clean the crown during a match?

I agree that my rifle shoots best after 8-12 fouling shots. I use old reloads for foulers, so its slightly cheaper...

I shoot suppressed and usually go a few hundred rounds between cleanings with no problems. I use a brake-attached suppressor, so when I do clean I just clean the brake and don't touch the crown.

fuck no, dont pack that! In fact, run 50 or so rounds through it before you leave. I have 1400 rounds on my match rifle without cleaning it. I will wipe off the bolt every now and then, but not the barrel. I might clean it and run a hundred or so through it be:fore the next match though...gotta be getting close to needing it :)

I rarely clean my barrel, and never at a match. You're not going to foul anything in 50 rounds that would mess w/ accuracy. That's just my opinion.

Google "copper equilibrium barrel". Good info. We aren't Benchrest shooters. I did the shoot, clean, shoot method for the first 30 rounds on my Krieger 260. At 200 rounds now and the only thing that's been cleaned is the chamber and the action.

Last edited:
Google "copper equilibrium barrel". Good info. We aren't Benchrest shooters. I did the shoot, clean, shoot method for the first 30 rounds on my Krieger 260. At 200 rounds now and the only thing that's been cleaned is the chamber and the action.

Good info guys, thanks. I used to clean my barrel after every outing to the range. This weekend I went out and shot roughly 100 rounds without a patch through the bore... Ended up shooting a personal best .70" group at 200 yards....

I have a match in a week, and my rifle has right around 1400 rounds since the bore has been cleaned, I have cleaned action and bolt.

And no I will not be cleaning it. lol

When I got my long range rifle, I promised myself that I would keep this rifle clean. After wasting a lot of ammo. I learned that removing copper fouling after each outing makes my gun shoot worse that a old mil surplus rifle. Now I never remove the copper and rarely wipe the bore. It shoots .5 moa now

At least for tactical shooting if not all shooting cleaning has been, now is, and probably will be forever over rated. Shoot it and enjoy it, wear it out and buy another one. I have had to clean a factory barrel several times to retain accuracy but not a good custom barrel.