• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Competitive LH Rimfire?

TheBeard413

Corpsmen
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2017
Berkshire County, Massachusetts
Now that CZ has discontinued the 452 and the market has dried up. Been searching since December for a left hand 452. In all honesty what does that leave for lefties? I have several other .22lr. Unfortunately not a single one would I even attempt shooting a comp with. It's unfortunate. Not only are we missing out on so many arms that just aren't available but now we are truly left out with no arms that are even close to competitive. A Vudoo V22 just isn't affordable for myself and my 2 left handed sons.
I have personally been contacting CZ to see if there are plans for a 457 Left Hand l. They are either being really tight lipped about plans for one or they aren't even contemplating building one.
At this time I feel the Browning T-Bolt is going to be our only option. Currently there is ZERO aftermarket support for them.
Now we get to Competitions. Seeing as the 452 LH is discontinued, my sons and myself will be forced into the NRL22 Open Class. Even with the rule change allowing the Ruger Precision Rimfire in the stock class, we still have Zero options.
What are everyone's thoughts on this?

Just Frustrated

Reactions: Rover31
just a thought, but 22lr might be a nice was to get them shooting righty.
no recoil to speak, not looking for the last 10th of accuracy.

I have a lefty son and echo the OP’s thoughts... at this moment he is shooting a 10/22 but I really want a good bolt for him.

I shoot left handed too. I also find this very frustrating. A friend is talking about starting up NRL 22 matches here and when I started looking for options I couldn't find any. The OP listed off pretty much every option I looked at. At this point I would just have to suck it up, sell a rifle and buy the Vudoo.

Are any of the cheapo Savage left hand .22 rifles worth trying?

I have a couple of Savages. They would probably work fine for a young shooter. They are not comparable to the Vudoo obviously!
Finding a lefty one of those is not easy also will probably have to order one.

Sorry, did not read that part. Doubt you will find a left hand competition youth rifle. Would a semi auto work? Or, just have them shoot a right handed rifle and operate bolt with left hand.

They are... but for a kids starter that’s a bit much to me
yeah but the cost is being split amongst the three of you!

given that tikka has a bunch of t3 lefties out there, perhaps they'll get a lefty t1x going in short order.

yep we generally get the lefty tax and the lefty wait, life just ain't fair...

Reactions: themightytimmah
It's absolutely ridiculous. Per NRL22 Rules...Both my son's will have to shoot in the open class. These are competitions, so YES! I would like to find affordable competitive left handed options. So would every single lefty out there. Once again I feel this is Sub Par, even on the organizations part. Also as stated my sons only option is a Browning T-Bolt is roughly $630 (MSRP $799) which puts it over the stock MSRP price allowable. They are shooting some 10/22's currently but I really want them to get bolt actions so they can spend more time on fundamentals instead of just going by the previous shot fired and repeatedly pulling the trigger.

Last edited:
Per NRL22 Rules...Both my son's will have to shoot in the open class.

Are your son's between the age of 8 and 16? If so, then they can compete as "Young Guns" and are not subject to the base class rules in Young Guns class. Although the rules for Young Guns state, "Young Guns may abide by Base or Open class rules.", Young Guns are only restricted to the open class rules as there are no divisions (base / open) within the Young Guns class.

Just to be sure I was correct, I called my local match director to verify. Before buying a rifle, I'd also check with your local match director too.

Reactions: usafa77
Tikka has planned a left hand T1x - it is in their 2019 pdf on their website.

Lithgow LA101 rimfire is available as left handed and has a reasonable barrel on it. Beefy action too.
Left handed Anschutz rimfire rifles exist, but pretty rare.

I'm a lefty and i'm using my CZ452 until I can hopefully get a LH Tikka T1x

Tikka has planned a left hand T1x - it is in their 2019 pdf on their website.

Would you mind letting us know which PDF? I couldn't find reference to the lefty T1x on the Tikka.fi website. I am running a lefty Tikka T3 and would LOVE to drop in a T1x into my chassis for practice.

Fingers crossed!!

@adamjma
Its their 2019 product pdf
20190426_103335.jpg

Unfortunately there’s not much worth while other than the voodoo for us I shot a 10/22 until I could swing the voodoo and I think that’s your best bet while being cost effective I shoot my kidd 10/22 as well as the guys shooting voodoos that I shoot with in comp I’m sure the v22 is far more accurate flat out but once you get on a barricade you can make up the difference with practice 10/22 with a good barrel and stock would be my recommendation

Edit: I did not know they were releasing a left hand t1x I would be all over that and a t1 bravo in that case

On the Lithgow la101
My daughter has one and it is a great rifle. Very accurate and a great feel to the action. However it has an inexpensive plastic stock that is adult sized. It is not a good stock for a kid.
If there was a company making aftermarket stock or chassis I would be first in line!

As a lefty, I am looking for those limited alternatives to "Right Handed Only May Apply." Bought 2 left handed Savage 22's: B22 and MKII. They are not in a class with a Vudoo or my CZ452 LH, but may make a good starter gun for a young new shooter. They are economy models, and don't have the fit and finish of a CZ, Browning, or Tikka. The youth models (Rascal) have shorter stocks and overall will fit a smaller shooter. This might be something to look into for a starter. I wouldn't expect the accuracy of the above mentioned models, but they have not been a total disasters for me. There aren't a lot of aftermarkets for these rifles, but I did find DIP had some items to dress them up a bit.

Tikka announced the T1X Left Hand back at the 2018 Shot Show. Contacted Tikka today and they stated they still don’t have a release date or an actual sku#. I mean we are already half way thru the year. Just another smoke & mirror show from another gun mfg

Tikka announced the T1X Left Hand back at the 2018 Shot Show. Contacted Tikka today and they stated they still don’t have a release date or an actual sku#. I mean we are already half way thru the year. Just another smoke & mirror show from another gun mfg

The RH T1x rollout was delayed a good bit as well last year. I hope they manage to get them out in quantity before the end of the summer. Impatiently waiting.

Reactions: TheBeard413
I put together a Magnum Research Switchbolt for my wife, it's left bolt, right port with their carbon fiber wrapped barrel and a billet receiver. I did change some things up but it's looking like a promising NRL/PRC gun for her.

I realize this is a some what older thread. That said I do have a minor update.

I am lefthanded, and in the Netherlands one may only own a firearm if one actively practices a competitive shooting sport, or has a hunting license (Olympic discipline mandatory for the first three years).

As a result I am now forced to shoot right handed competitively which isn't great. Lefthanded 452's are very rare here as anywhere else. And perhaps due to the heavy legal restrictions on firearm ownership the choice of brands and availability isn't great anyway. My only real alternatives to the CZ lineup in .22LR is a Tikka T1X which I cannot get with the competitively required iron sights. Aftermarket iron sights might be an option - though for the same reasons and general availability of firearms good gun smiths are in short supply. Ultimately it's a small market and within that market lefthanded rifles are truly a niche. Finally, I suppose anything is possible given you throw enough money at it; but I do have budgetary constraints.

I decided to reach out to CZ again for an update and received the following response from their customer service dept in Czech rep.

"
thank You for Your e-mail and for Your interest for our products.

Unfortunately, due to the low demand of „left-handed“ versions of our CZ 457 family in the past we are unable to offer them now – but we plan in the near future to bring the LH version of our CZ 457 to the market. A more exact date is unknown, bud it is definitely in plan.

I am sorry for beeing unable to give You a more positive answer.

Have a nice day and stay safe."

So it's coming... the question is when. Hoping this information helps some of you out there. It certainly made up my mind. I have decided I will struggle along on a righthanded secondhand which I will trade in when the lefthanded version is released.

I grew up shooting left handed with right handed bolts, never thought anything about it, now I can shoot left or right with no problem

Have you looked at Cooper Firearms, they used to make a lefty in 22, think they can still be ordered.

Reactions: HCNDM
I grew up shooting left handed with right handed bolts, never thought anything about it, now I can shoot left or right with no problem

Have you looked at Cooper Firearms, they used to make a lefty in 22, think they can still be ordered.

Thanks for the tip! Cooper looks likes a nice brand. I did some calling around last week and getting them here is going to be a two year paperwork job in terms of importation.

I shoot well with a right handed rifle. I don't shoot awesome though.

Like some here, I started out with a 10-22, then moved to a LH CZ-452. That rifle was phenomenal. Wish I still owned it. When a chance at a LH Vudoo came along, I jumped. I still haven’t gotten it to shoot or cycle like that old CZ-452, but it’s coming along. The new Rim-X actions look really good, I especially like the adjustable magazine feature.
Guys, I’ve said all that to say, it’s a competition rifle. Spend money on it and get what you want and practice, practice, practice.