• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Complete LR Virgin - 338 Lapua - Help Requested!

DarkestPhoenix

Private
Minuteman
Jan 30, 2012
I know I'll probably be blasted for having too little experience or whatever, but I guess I'm just one of those guys that likes to take the plunge and dive right in, and on top of that, I have my own reasons for getting into this particular caliber.

Quick, brief about me, since this is my first thread and first real "post" here. (If this is in the wrong place, sorry....feel free to move) I was in the military for about 7 1/2 years and worked with them another 5 1/2 as a civilian. Plenty of experience on the AR platform, though initially grew up doing a lot of shotgun hunting with my father (good place to start - since then, recoil has never been an issue for me). Not much experience with handguns, but I have a few and I'm getting more experience all the time. Don't have much for rifles except a decked out Mosin and have fired traditional .308 but I would say that the "farthest" I shoot has never been more than 3-400 yards.

Anyway, I've always been a huge fan of the "reach out and touch someone" calibers, and .338 Lapua really appealed to me with the crazy distances that you can reach with it. I'm not planning on going out and trying to shoot 2,000 yards or anything, especially not right away, but I do like that I can continually grow into it.

The reasons I decided on 338LM boil down to the fact that my father is about a year from retirement. I would like this to be something we can do and kind of learn together. He loves going on hunts in Alaska and Montana, though even he has never been a huge rifle guy and has been pretty much limited to the .308 and black powder. I came into a little bit of money, so I figured that would not be an limiting factor for the caliber I wanted to eventually settle on.

I did a lot of research and paid attention to a lot of different sales and auctions and got a lot of "package" deals where I could sell off the stuff I didn't need and bring down the total cost of my firearms and ammo. Anyway, end of the day, I ended up getting used rifles with under 100 rounds down the pipe for each: a Savage 110 BA for $1,238 and a Savage 111 LRH for $470. I have the 110BA topped with a Vortex Razor 5-20x50 HD scope and the 111LRH has a Millett 6-25x56 LRS-1. Both of these are 35mm tubes, and I figured the extra travel would come in handy. Also, both have Harris 6-9" swivel bi-pods.

Total into this caliber I have $6,500. That includes the rifles, scopes, bi-pods, 1,950 bullets (100 custom loaded for quick work-up, 750 300gr Scenar, 100 300gr Bergers, 500 300gr Sierra MatchKing, 500 285gr Hornady), over 300 unfired Lapua Brass casings, full Redding Competition Die Set, case gauge, bushings, seating die, 8 lbs Vihtavuori N570 powder and primers. I think I did okay on keeping the total cost on-target for what I wanted to spend.

Okay...now here comes the part where I need your help. Obviously, never firing anything over 350 yards means never having to really do much scope work or calculate ballistics coefficients. I've reloaded quite a bit, but I do realize this is an entirely different ballgame from progressive reloading, where you can just pop out a few hundred rounds of 45ACP in an hour or two.

The reason I came here is because I've read up on a lot of this stuff, and you can get load data pretty easily, and I know it's not the same for every rifle, but there are plenty of ideas on where to start with all that. That, to me, is the fun and frustrating part. Loading up some rounds, finding what works and then getting your personal accuracy on-track. But what I don't understand is.....once you've loaded a round, how do you discover velocity? Must you chrono every different load? And if so, how does one even do that?

Once you have the velocity, you should be able to calculate the BC, but how do you translate that into the adjustments in your scope? Are there calculators you can just plug this data into, or can you do it in your head? Not to sound conceited, but I'm pretty good with math and should be able to do those kind of calculations, but I have no idea what they are. How do you factor in humidity and temperature? You have scope windage adjustments, how can you accurately use those, as well? I haven't purchased a range finder yet, because first I want to use these AT the ranges and get them dialed in and myself sufficiently trained, then go real-world with it (as I think it should be).

I know you guys probably get bombarded with stupid questions like this from n00bs all the time, so even just linking threads I should read would help me out tremendously. I've tried to self-teach myself almost everything I know about firearms, but I think at this point, I'm finally at a place where I have to admit I need serious professional help. :S I just need someone to point me in the direction so I know where to start. Maybe to some people it may seem stupid to just up and decide someday that one of your life goals is to shoot a nice three round group a mile out, but that's where I am, I guess.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide!

Seth

Re: Complete LR Virgin - 338 Lapua - Help Requested!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DarkestPhoenix</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> a Savage 111 LRH for $470</div></div>

Wow, what an CRAZY good find, that's an AMAZING deal!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DarkestPhoenix</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> But what I don't understand is.....once you've loaded a round, how do you discover velocity? Must you chrono every different load? And if so, how does one even do that? </div></div>

Yes, buy a chronograph and starting making it a habit of shooting through it at the range, chrono EVERY shot to also determine your velocity spread, since a high spread with give you severe vertical stringing. Cheap chronographs (with the wire loops and cheap tripods) start at about 200 bucks. The distance you need to put them out into the range depends on several things.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DarkestPhoenix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Once you have the velocity, you should be able to calculate the BC, but how do you translate that into the adjustments in your scope? Are there calculators you can just plug this data into, or can you do it in your head?</div></div>

Oh there are definitely calculators. Simple ones for very set scenarios are taped to the inside of scope lens caps or on the side of a buttstock. More complicated ones are computer based and you'll need a desktop/laptop/PDA/fancy smartphone-cellphone thing to enter all the data. Some programs are free and some you have to pay for.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Like I said, I bought packages and then parted them out. The 111LRH came with a Leupold MKIV 4.5-14x50mm with pretty good 30mm rings for $1,300 and then I had to pay $25 for the FFL fee and another $25 to Western Union the money. Sold the scope and rings separately for a total of $880, bringing the rifle cost down to $470. But it wasn't originally listed like that.
wink.gif

I know you said a couple hundred dollars, but this looked like it had good reviews and is a little less. Is that acceptable?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/852429/competition-electronics-prochrono-digital-chronograph

(sorry if linking not allowed)

Welcome! And thanks for your service!

I would pick up some loaded ammo and start there. With proven loads, you'll know how you will shoot right off the bat. Even experienced rifle shooters going up to the .338LM will take some getting used to the extra muzzle blast, concussion and power.

Try to test and shoot beyond 100 yards. I like 500 for working up loads.

Good luck and have fun with it. .338LM's are very addicting!

I'm overseas right now. When I get back in two weeks, I have two months at home, then I'm leaving the country again to get my Master's degree. So, I don't have my reloading gear set up, and I don't feel like setting it all up just to tear it back down again.

There is one guy I met online who reloads with brand new Lapua brass, whatever powder, primer, bullet and COAL you want for about $4 per round, depending on how much you buy. This seemed to me to be the better option than factory ammo. I calculated it and reusing or selling the brass, the end cost comes down to under 30¢ more than what I pay loading my own ($2.55 casing, 78¢ 300gr Scenar, 35¢ N570 powder, 3.5¢ Federal 215 primer = $3.715 versus his four bucks). I just got a work-up box from him with what I plan on testing out myself eventually. This way, I can at least lay the groundwork so when I come back in a year, I have a jumping-off point to start from.

I have a good laser boresighter that can sight anything from 22LR up to .75 in diameter, including 12/20 gauge, so I was thinking about laser-sighting the 110BA at 100 yards (at 338 ammo prices, should pay for itself quickly!) and then trying to paper zero at 200 yards before stretching her legs too far.

Get a suppressor!!! Everyone that you shoot around will thank you for it and after you start shooting with one you will never want to go back to shooting without one.

Getting spun-up on LR shooting, and precision reloading at the same time, is plenty to have on your plate.

If money is not an object, I suggest buying 1000 rounds or so of good commercial 338L ammo, and attend a quality LR training class or two that include plenty of field shooting.

After that, you will know enough to know where you want to go next, and how to get there.

if you are going to buy a chronograph, buy either an used one at a great price or buy a MagnetoSpeed Chronograph.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3231447&page=1

You will find quickly that setting up and adjusting one of the "old fashioned type" chronographs is a waste of time (and pain in the ass). The fact that you can get something that quickly mounts to your rifle and gives you consistent results is a quantum leap better for maximizing your range time.

It sounds like money isn't a huge issue so a good chronograph will go a long ways.

However, if you have a rough idea, you can always just use a ballistic calculator and get exact numbers and extrapolate from there.

Jong ~ Trust me, I want a suppressor. Not just for the Savage, but for a few handguns I have, too. Unfortunately, Iowa is one of the 13 states who, in their wisdom, have decided to "suppress" the rights of their citizens instead.

MM ~ I dunno about a thousand, but a hundred works for now, and thankfully, I met a guy online who has a group of six 338LM shooters about an hour from my house with up to 1,200 yd stretch to shoot from. I'm still talking to him, but hopefully they can take me under their wing a bit.

Ranger ~ Awesome, awesome, awesome. That is just the kind of thing I'm looking for! Exactly the reason why I didn't buy one yet is the fact that all chronos look janky as hell. First thing I thought was, "Why don't they just use magnets?" I followed the link to the website and they've been on backorder since late March/early April! Pretty lucky, then, to discover that they got them back in stock TODAY! So, I pulled the trigger and just ordered one. A little more than I thought I'd pay for one, but I'm betting it'll work infinitely better than any other I could have purchased. Setup to three-round data in under two minutes if need be? Worth every penny. Hope it fits over the muzzle break, but it looks like it will be fine.

before you shoot or reload, i highly recommend to buy this book by Bryan Litz and study it. It's the bible for reloading for long range shooting and you'll understand alot about ballistics that comes into play at longer distances. You'll therefore understand alot more what's going on after you pull the trigger.

http://www.amazon.com/Applied-Ballistics-Long-Range-Shooting-Edition/dp/0615452566

Hey Seth,

First off welcome...

If I may though, I'd highly recommend signing up for the Hide's online training. It will give you a very good foundation and may lead you down a path for further development via other mediums.

I too came from many years of heavy black-rifle/gas gun background (law enforcement) and having recently stepped into the world of precision/LR shooting, I have found several of the training videos well worth the cost and I'm learning more and more every day.

A huge positive note for me, being new in this particular space, I feel I don't have to be un-tought any bad habits (like we so often do). I'm getting the best available instruction (outside of a classroom) straight from the guys in the know.

It has been a very rewarding and fun adventure. I too, for other reasons, had come across a 338... I also had a Barrett 50 too but I abandoned those very early on and picked up a couple of very nice 308s to learn with.

I was going to keep the 338 knowing I'd eventually step up and if you do that, that's ok but my opinion is no matter how much money you have to spend, slingling $2/$3+ down the pipe each pull of the trigger (while learning) lacks serious financial prudence ;o). Again, this is my opinion and you know what that is worth ;o)

The fundementals (for most) are easier learned with a smaller caliber. I found, for instance, even with the 308s I had a bad flinching problem that I never knew I had and would have sworn to you I didn't. Put me on a 338 and I would have easily blammed that. Also have read a bunch where the 338s have thrown even seasoned/experienced guys a hurdle or two.

Plus, by simply diverting the monetary difference in the ammunition alone, one could pay for several LR classes from the likes of excellent training resouces like Rifles Only, etc... you'll get 1000 times more experience being shown the correct way other than with trial and error with the expensive and less forgiving 338 Lapua.

I'm not trying to discourage you into going for it I just was in the same boat and finally realize these guys DO know what they're talking about. I got wrapped up in the hype and knowing THAT was the caliber I wanted and completely lost focus on the fundementals. I feel 100 times better now shooting what I have. I am learning so much and feel soooo much much better at what it's now costing. Ironically, for my profession, I have actually ended up with a much better platform to serve me for many years to come.

Whatever you do, have fun... be safe and post pics... these guys love pics and will beat you up if you don't give them any ;o)

Stay safe!

- Drez

Seth

Check out the shooter program as well as bullet flight both will complete what you want to succeed in.

Good luck with the 338 LM you will have a blast.

oneshot

A good ballistics program on an old phone is a great thing to have!
Knowing your bullet speed and spread is also a must.
Don't go on 100 yard groups! My .338lm was one hole at 100,at 1000 she went to hell with my last load!
I may bring down the wrath of god for saying this, But I have never bought better ammo than I make my self! Started loading for a .308 about 17+ years ago because any lot change on factory ammo and I had to correct for it.
Buy things in bulk running the same lot number when you can.
Bullets,powder,primers,ect will vary from lot to lot.
Check everything twice! Then check it again!
And most important! Have FUN!!!!!!
Good luck to you Sir! And good shooting!

Hey guys,
I too just recently entered the world of long-range shooting. I have been practicing my skills with a Remington 700-30.06 at 100 yards. Working up loads, I have gotten 1" groups at 100yds with decent regularity.
I purchased a Remington 700-P in 338 Lapua, which is now at the gunsmith having a Lilja 34" barrel fitted etc. I found that I actually had better accuracy with the 338 at 300yds than the 30.06 at 100yds. I got 2.5" groups at 300yds with the 338.

I also have been learning reloading at the same time.

One question I have is about scope bases. I just purchased a NightForce 12-42 power scope. I read that this scope has 65MOA internal adjustment, which you divide in half, as in 32.5MOA up/down. We thought about putting a 20MOA base on the rifle, but I think that may be a little light for 1000-1500yd shooting. Any words of advice on this? I am concerned not to put too much, for closer shooting, but then I could do some holds to compensate.
Can anyone give insight on the proper base for this type of range?

Thanks

I had to add a 44 MOA inclination ring set (Spuhr), if I recall correctly, in order to get my S&B PMII to reach out to the proper elevations for a mile. That is on top of a 20MOA base... for a total of 64MOA !!!