• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Complete Noob Here :) All advise is muchly appriciated

bcrowell5

Private
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2013
Hello everyone, I'm almost done building my first gun ever and it happens to be a ar-15 chambered in the 5.56 NATO.
I have hunted all my life and I consider my self an above average marksman however this is the first time I have ever
decided to buy something new, I have always shot my Fathers rifles so I'm in a bit of a pickle. The last piece of my
AR-15 I need is the scope, I intend to shoot a Max of 1,000m and I Prefer the higher magnifications. I would like
something that's .1mil adj for elevation and wind-age with a mil-dot reticle, preferably in the first Focal plane with the
turret parallax adjustment, but I have absolutely no clue which scope to buy! Any advise helps, my spending range is
probably up to $1,000 but I would prefer to stay at around $700 or lower.

If you have a better idea for a scope to use then feel free to give your opinion, it is greatly appreciated.

Here is the ballistics table http://www.shooterscalculator.com/b...A~FBFFF5;Windage~MIL;Time~s;Energy~ft.lbf;Vel[x%2By]~ft%2Fs&lbl=223+REM+55gr+Federal&submitst=+Create+Chart+

Last edited:
Go to Jbm or Bergers website and run the math. Then you'll see wht kinda adjustments you need. I could throw out numbers but it's a waste of time since idk where your at what twist, barrel length, gr bullet, etc. I like vortexes and there warranties. The pst mrad might be in your range and budget.

1:8 super bull barrel 24" 55gr federal FMJ

Last edited:
If you already know, pretty much, what you need-try optics planet and search under mil/le scopes and sort by price. You'll find all kinds of scopes in your price range. Then look at descriptions of gear and look at their websites for further info.

Run the numbers buddy. If it were me I'd run a heavier bullet. The elements, like weather, will alter your shot. Something to consider is if your hand loading some of these heavy/longer bullets won't be mag length either so you'll have to single load em. Both of those sites I gave you have free ballistic programs.

I want something I'm not gonna get screwed on if it malfunctions in a month

Everything I have heard is that Vortex stands behind their stuff.

Not for an AR, but I just picked a Vortex PST for my .308 bolt rifle.

Sport Optics gives Snipers Hide members a very nice discount. www.sportoptics.com

And you can call and talk to them about what you want and what you are trying to do.

For my AR, I picked the Burris MTAC setup. 1-4x with a illuminated quick reticle.

Vortex does have good quality glass for a decent price. Should be good enough for 1000m. Might be close or a little above $1000.00 depending on actual scope. You need to really evaluate whether you will go 1000m or not, as that would dictate buying a higher end scope to get the glass quality. Up to about 750m-800m, some of the better but cheaper ones will do nicely. Clarity is king over magnification.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but 1000m seems like a long reach for a 5.56. You will definitely want to evaluate your twist for max bullet weight, and go heavier than the 55gr. I think that realistically you may be looking at 750m as a good goal with the 5.56.

Last edited:
I have a Stag 24" bull barrel that I can get to 1000 with handload 75 gr bullets - however I also shoot at 6000 feet altitude. 55gr isn't going to cut it to 1000, so you might adjust the type and magnification for what you need. That being said, PST vortex would likely be a good call.

My Vote for the Viper PST also, Best scope I could get for 1000$ on my .308 (6-24x FFP) and I do not regret it one bit. I shoot with guys that are strictly Night Force guys and after I brought mine out for a day and they got behind it they were kind of questioning spending twice the money on their NF's. Not that NF's are lower quality, they have slightly better clarity but not enough for me to justify the higher cost and I have FFP with the PST that they were highly jealous of at mid-range distances.

Last edited: