• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Complete noob to PRS bolt guns

viper20

Private
Minuteman
Oct 11, 2020
Hey guys this is my first post here. I have been browsing the forums and watching a bunch of youtube videos the last few weeks. I really want to purchase a precision bolt gun and I believe I am at the point of information overload lol. I don't want to spend a ton of money at this point and I believe I am leaning towards the howa american flag chassis rifle. It seems that there are a bunch of different models and it seems most people say to avoid the apc chassis model but it seems like that is the only one available as it seems like the HRC model had been discontinued or am I mistaken? Is this gun a good choice or are there other options that are more accurate? I was also thinking about purchasing a Remington 700 ADL or Ruger American and then buying a KRG chassis or an Oryx or something similar. Would this be a better option and get me a more accurate rifle then the howa option or no? My other hang-up is deciding on what caliber 6.5 creedmoor or .308 from what I've read it seems the 6.5 is better beyond 500 yards and at this point I probably won't get to shoot beyond that, also based off what I've read the barrel life is much better on the .308 so based off that I'm leaning towards the .308 model but would also love feedback on that as well. Thanks for your patience and time.

Frank

Check out the Remington 700p in 308win from armsunlimited.com for $750. A friend just got to the range with his and shot .3 moa with factory ammo. I bought one too because it’s too good of a deal to pass up IMO. It’s got the tactical bolt knob, 5r 24” threaded 1:10 barrel, 40x trigger that adjusts down to 1.5Lbs, and a hs precision stock. I don’t think I’ve seen a better deal in a long time. Good luck

Reactions: Baron23
I will say a 308 is always a good starting point for precision rifles, they force you to have good fundamentals when shooting longer distances since they aren’t nearly as forgiving as some other calibers with wind calls or elevation.

Now as for the rifle, do you have a budget your trying to stick with? Remington is always a good choose if your looking for a turnkey rifle with a ton of aftermarket support, but the tikka’s are probably nicer just a little bit more money with a little less aftermarket support

If I was starting over knowing what I know now, I would look for a used Tikka Tac A1 on the PX. Save a little longer if you have to. Shoot it and be happy and later on when you want a custom action come back and start another "which action" thread.
I started with a Remington in 308 and had to upgrade it a lot over time to get all the features I wanted.

Have you looked at other ranges? I'm sure there are places you can shoot over 1000 yards not far from you. I would recommend the Tikka with the factory 6.5 creedmoor or 260 Remington barrel it comes with (I can't remember which). The barrel will wear out faster than a 308, but the factory barrel on any gun sucks so just shoot it out and put a custom barrel on asap.

Reactions: Frgood
Hahahaha, don't buy a .308. It is like buying a wooden tennis racket and going to play games. Sure, if you are having fun whacking the ball against a wall, enjoying the challenge, its fine.

Watch the PX here for a good deal. Guys will be upgrading and you can benefit.

Otherwise, Howa is a great choice. Also look at a barreled action and Bravo if you like a stock more than a chassis.

If you're trying to get started in the near-term, find a shit load of match ammo (308 WIN, 6.5 CR, 260 REM) or reloading components and then find a rifle chambered for that round.

I don't see availability getting better anytime soon.

Reactions: hereinaz
It's not hard finding CTR's in 260R. A friend traded a crappy Mossberg AR and $200 for his 20" CTR. It's been a reliable and fantastic shooter! It's also fast, he's getting 2905 fps with 130 Berger hybrids.

The muzzle is threaded so he put a Area 419 brake on it and that made it such an enjoyable rifle. I like it almost as much as my $3400 all custom 6mmBR after he put the barreled action into a KRG Bravo chassis.

You really have to start reloading is ""the thing""!!!!

Don't buy a friggin 3-oh-8. you'll be missing to the left and the right and lose the fight.