• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Complete Noob with new addiction.

d.hodgee

Private
Minuteman
Long time Hunter/Plinker looking to take it up a notch.

I have been looking at the Remington SPS-V/T in 308.

I also have an older 90's model remington700 in 30-06. Long action obviously.

I have been considering working off of it rather then buying a whole new rifle. But, I realized it does not have anybody metal compared to all the ones I have seen here.

What do you guys think about working off of my old rifle? Is it worth it?

Re: Complete Noob with new addiction.

D,

For what it's worth, there is no reason to think that your Remi700 is not a solid pick if it's been an accurate, solid performing rifle. The 30-06 is not very "glamorous" and doesn't get much press, but I bet you'll find that you'll be fine with it. As food for thought, I'll mention the following:
1. There is a TON of good load data for 30-06, so if you enjoy handloading and tuning your loads, it's a great choice
2. Federal and Hornady both make match loads w/ SMK's (that are about the same price as 308 and people actually have 30-06 in stock), and you still have a great selection of hunting ammo
3. You can take a Remington 700 to almost any decent gunsmith and have quality work done...which would enable you to build on that same rifle over time...parts are everywhere and you have a wide selection of stocks, accessories, etc
4. There isn't a lot you can do with a 308 that you cannot do with a 30-06 (and some would point out there is MORE you can do with a 30-06)

If I was in your shoes, I would buy at least one box (preferably 10 or 20 boxes) of Federal Gold Medal Match with SMK's and shoot your rifle for accuracy at multiple distances. I've had a lot of friends who are raging hunters, and so they always shot hunting ammunition...and were very pleased when we'd go out and shoot match ammo. They'd get to have a great time shooting "old reliable", but with the higher BC OTM ammo, their longer range performance was much better than with hunting bullets and they were (very pleasantly) surprised.

That's not to say that getting a 308 would be a mistake...I have a "308 problem" in that mine seem to breed like rabbits. But I wouldn't dismiss a 30-06 at all, especially during the "new addiction" phase, where quality trigger time is more important than what your shooting (within reason). Good shooting. -A

+10, the 30-06 dont get no respect but it will do anything and more than a 308 will except maybe in bench rest shooting. Plus when you burn it out (hope you're a young guy who shoots a lot) you can rebarrel it to 280 Remington that puts a 308 in the dark. Pillar bed the stock, free float the barrel, adjust the trigger and it should do 1 MOA or better with Federal Gold Medal Match.

I have to agree with a-train on the new addiction phase shoot what you have improve on your platform if you deem necessary and have fun behind the trigger
then if you decide to go with something new and in a .308 your gonna have a better idea of your wants and needs for a new platform and most likely be happier with your decision
ive learned from expierience on that factor gone through alot of guns and rebuilt some of the past ones just to have what i want

good luck and have a blast

a-train / Mr. Humble / killnu

Thank you for the valuable information.

-The reason for the want to upgrade...

I like a nice looking rifle... More importantly: I have never liked the feel of the wood stock on my old rig. It is very narrow on the butt/end of stock and around where I hold it. So here I am I looking at aftermarket stocks. And then if I'm planning on upgrading to a heavier barrel down the road I don't want to buy a new stock now for the current barrel. And then end up changing the new stock later. Basically I'm just trying to save $ down the road.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not expecting to have the best or the coolest looking rig. I just want something that feels good to shoot while perfecting my personal shooting techniques.

A Good/comfortable stock and a heavier barrel is what I have in mind. So I didn't know if I should buy a whole new rifle or work off mine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just put all that cool aftermaket Rem 700 stuff on it and shoot away.

Steve </div></div>

lol, now I feel like I'm on a different forum, ar.............

You might want to look at the Hogue stocks, they are pillar bedded and what Remington is using on their current tactical rifles. Brownells 800-741-0015
Here's my c 1954 Remington 722 222 upgraded w/700 bottom metal and a Hogue stock. Bought the stock here on the hide for 50 bucks although a long action might be harder to find used. Also check ebay.
DSCN2748.jpg

+1 on Humble's suggestion for a Hogue stock. In comparison to it's competition, the Hogues are DIRT cheap, pillar bedded and so you can have a smith (or if you're comfortable, yourself) change it out for chicken-feed, and it would probably satisfy your desire for a stock change. I have two "beater" rifles that are FNH PBR's (308 and 300WSM) that have the Hogue stocks that are great. If you're willing to drop a little more money, HS Precision makes a killer stock. Again, if you want to switch to a 308 because you think it will perform better for your uses, do it! But I wouldn't switch out only due to a desire to change stocks, which can be switched easily. The only other thing I'll mention is that a lot of people think a highly adjustable stock will help them perform better...but that is NOT directly related to the stock, it's related to REPEATABILITY AND CONSISTENCY. Save some money (for good ammo) and check out SKDTAC's website and the BALS MK-2. I would rate it as some of the best shooting money I've spent and has prevented me from changing out a couple of stocks.

Hogue stocks are flimsy/flexible. I would rather save and get a McMillan or Manners. One other consideration: 30-06 is a great round, but the recoil is a bit more than 308. If you are planning to do a lot of shooting, then you may consider going with the milder recoil caliber, depending on your tolerance to recoil. If you opt for the 308, you could build a M24 clone in 308. It is built on a long action, HS Precision stock, etc. I also believe the barrel is a Obermeyer 5R although you could just as easily use a Rock 5R or one of the other manufacturers who make a 5R barrel. This should greatly improve the accuracy over a factory barrel. Just another idea in case you were still thinking of switching to 308.

+1 on the long action 308. When you start handloading the extra long bullets will still feed from the magazine.
YMMV, Rob

What stock does your 700 have on it right now? What contour is the barrel? The Remington 700 comes in several configurations. Some are better suited for lightweight hunting rifles, some are better suited for long range shooting. Right now I (and everyone else probably) don't know which variant you are working with.

The cheapest decent upgrade stockwise would be an HS Precision stock although I sold the one off my PSS and ordered a Manners instead. Not really necessary, but if you have the money go for it. The HS also comes with a rather large barrel channel in it so if you have a skinny barrel you can upgrade to a heavy contour later on without having to modify your stock or get a new one. Manners and most others you would have to specify the barrel channel desired.

If your barrel is a light contour you will probably want to upgrade it to a heavier contour that will have less point of impact shift after multiple rounds compared to a skinny barrel. Of course if you are replacing the barrel you could change calibers at the same time if so desired. And there you go chasing your tail...

The .308 is pretty much the standard but the 30-06 is a fine cartridge that can beat the .308 in several respects. Try talking to Montana Marine on this site. He has a wealth of knowledge regarding the 30-06. Others do to, just I can remember him off the top of my head.

Hope that helps. Welcome to long range shooting by the way.

Hogue stock are not floppy or flimsy. that's crap! they work fine unless you plan to use them for a prybar to move your 18 wheeler off the jack. They are light, warm and have a fine feel and recoil pad. Unless you want to lug around a 14 pound "tactical" rifle, they work just fine. I have one on a 700 375 H&H that has seen over 500 rounds of full power loads. It looks like and acts like the day I bought it. Still shoots MOA groups as it did the day it was installed. It, as does the heavy bbl 222, and there is no problem with the bbl hitting the bbl channel and the pillar beeding keeps the action where ot should be. Did I also say it's a lot less expensive than the "cool" tactical stocks?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: McCrazy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What stock does your 700 have on it right now? What contour is the barrel? Right now I (and everyone else probably) don't know which variant you are working with.

If your barrel is a light contour you will probably want to upgrade it to a heavier contour that will have less point of impact shift after multiple rounds compared to a skinny barrel. Of course if you are replacing the barrel you could change calibers at the same time if so desired. And there you go chasing your tail...

Hope that helps. Welcome to long range shooting by the way. </div></div>

<span style="color: #000099">The barrel is not a heavy contour. Its pretty small. And the stock is all wood. Also, It does not have the bottom Platte metal. The rounds are loaded through the top. Will this keep me from being able to use this or does it matter?

Thank you all for your help.</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johngfoster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you opt for the 308, you could build a M24 clone in 308. It is built on a long action, HS Precision stock, etc. I also believe the barrel is a Obermeyer 5R although you could just as easily use a Rock 5R or one of the other manufacturers who make a 5R barrel. This should greatly improve the accuracy over a factory barrel. Just another idea in case you were still thinking of switching to 308. </div></div>

<span style="color: #000099">I have heard about doing this... This sounds interesting. How much will all the up grades run me? I would guess the barrel will be on the high end. Will it wind up costing more then just upgrading to a new rifle? </span>

An M24 clone is not a cheap deal. As for bottom metal to make your ADL into a BDL, it's all available from Brownells 800-741-0015

A Rock or Bartlein 5R barrel blank will run you around $250-$300, then you need a competent gunsmith to chamber/crown/thread it for you ($200?). If you're going that route, then you may consider getting the action blueprinted as well ($200). The stock will run around $500 new, if you can find one. Not sure on a used price. Now the big money goes into optics and mount for the optics (rings/base) You can shell out $300 just for a quality set of rings and base. Then the Leupold Mk 4 Ultra (fixed 10x scope) will set you back about $1000 too. So:

New barrel: $300
Gunsmith fee: $200-400
Stock: $500 (New)
Scope: $1000
Rings/base $300

Total: $2300-$2500

Precision tactical firearms are not cheap! And this doesn't factor in ongoing ammo costs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johngfoster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A Rock or Bartlein 5R barrel blank will run you around $250-$300, then you need a competent gunsmith to chamber/crown/thread it for you ($200?). If you're going that route, then you may consider getting the action blueprinted as well ($200). The stock will run around $500 new, if you can find one. Not sure on a used price. Now the big money goes into optics and mount for the optics (rings/base) You can shell out $300 just for a quality set of rings and base. Then the Leupold Mk 4 Ultra (fixed 10x scope) will set you back about $1000 too. So:

New barrel: $300
Gunsmith fee: $200-400
Stock: $500 (New)
Scope: $1000
Rings/base $300

Total: $2300-$2500

Precision tactical firearms are not cheap! And this doesn't factor in ongoing ammo costs. </div></div>

<span style="color: #000099"> Thank you for this...

I'll probably be searching the forums for a nice rifle. And then pick up a midgrade optic.</span>

Update... After considering the costs of everything. I think I have decided to keep the old hunting rifle for a rainy day. Maybe someday I will want to convert it to 300wm.

I just bought a remington700 sps-t in 308. I'm going to do some research... find a nice scope. buy some nice ammo and start shooting.

I thank you all for your time!

d.

Glad to hear it. No matter what the question, the correct answer is always to buy another rifle (or so my local shop always tells me...they've been getting me with that one for years). Good shooting!