• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Complete PRS noob's first experience with an SP10

Amatsukaze_DD

Weeaboo Prime
Minuteman
Jun 7, 2022
Fletcher, NC
First off, here it is in all it's glory. The scope is a loaner from a friend since I basically lucked into the rifle for an insane price. I wasn't expecting it and I am still undecided on what glass to actually put on there.
20230324_154818.jpg

Starting off, I am a complete PRS newbie. I have maybe 200 rounds through a 16" 556 AR shooting for groups, or trying to shoot at around 500. this is my first big bore semi rifle that will be used specifically for PRS. I have more experience with milsurp rifles shooting out to 500 than anything PRS related.

Picked the rifle up and sighted the scope with 140gr aguila, real cheap shit ammo. Got it on paper then zeroed it to 130gr FGMM, berger projectiles. Did not have a ton of time to shoot groups since the sun was sliding over the mountain and we were starting to lose light. This was the first group of the FGMM.

20230324_182926.jpg

2 inch paster, so probably a 1.5-1.75 inch group center to center. Of course we forgot the calipers.

My buddy who is a bit more experienced than me with PRS had a go, this was his group.
20230324_182930.jpg

I was spotting for him, the first two rounds are the same hole shots, and then 3 down and left. The barrel was pretty toasty at this point, maybe 30 rounds in under 15-20 minutes with no real long breaks between. I shot the final group of the day and got this.
20230324_180939.jpg

Definitely the best group I've ever shot, and the best group of the day. Roughly 1 moa at 100, maybe a touch more with the low right flier.
Overall I could not be happier. I look forward to doing load development and learning more as a shooter. Only 2 complaints with the rifle, the stock recoil spring is annoyingly loud, and I prefer a 2 stage trigger for scope work. The stock timney is a fine trigger but it'll get swapped out to a TT diamond when I decide on glass for it.

Snagged the rifle for 1800 w/6 mags, one of which is the sr25 mag pictured. I would say it was some of the best money I've ever spent, but my wallet cries thinking about glassing this rifle properly.

Reactions: bfoosh006
I'll add that after it was sighted in I realized I didn't shoot all of the cheap aguila i had brought. Loaded up the rest of it and shot at the 700 for funsies. Got a decent number of hits but it was pretty clearly throwing fliers all over the place with the cheaper ammo. It was still the first time i've been able to consistently tag the 1 moa target at 700 so that was nice.

First off, here it is in all it's glory. The scope is a loaner from a friend since I basically lucked into the rifle for an insane price. I wasn't expecting it and I am still undecided on what glass to actually put on there.View attachment 8104608

Starting off, I am a complete PRS newbie. I have maybe 200 rounds through a 16" 556 AR shooting for groups, or trying to shoot at around 500. this is my first big bore semi rifle that will be used specifically for PRS. I have more experience with milsurp rifles shooting out to 500 than anything PRS related.

Picked the rifle up and sighted the scope with 140gr aguila, real cheap shit ammo. Got it on paper then zeroed it to 130gr FGMM, berger projectiles. Did not have a ton of time to shoot groups since the sun was sliding over the mountain and we were starting to lose light. This was the first group of the FGMM.

View attachment 8104610

2 inch paster, so probably a 1.5-1.75 inch group center to center. Of course we forgot the calipers.

My buddy who is a bit more experienced than me with PRS had a go, this was his group.View attachment 8104611

I was spotting for him, the first two rounds are the same hole shots, and then 3 down and left. The barrel was pretty toasty at this point, maybe 30 rounds in under 15-20 minutes with no real long breaks between. I shot the final group of the day and got this.View attachment 8104612

Definitely the best group I've ever shot, and the best group of the day. Roughly 1 moa at 100, maybe a touch more with the low right flier.
Overall I could not be happier. I look forward to doing load development and learning more as a shooter. Only 2 complaints with the rifle, the stock recoil spring is annoyingly loud, and I prefer a 2 stage trigger for scope work. The stock timney is a fine trigger but it'll get swapped out to a TT diamond when I decide on glass for it.

Snagged the rifle for 1800 w/6 mags, one of which is the sr25 mag pictured. I would say it was some of the best money I've ever spent, but my wallet cries thinking about glassing this rifle properly.

As you stated you're new to the platform and to Large frame gassers, give it time and report back after you've got some time under your belt.

I run JP SCS in all my rifles if the Tubbs flat wire springs set-up isn't what you like give it a go.

Yes the Timney trigger is average to say the least, I also run TriggerTechs AR10 Diamonds in all my Precision rifles. Take a look at some of my threads and you see what the SP10 is capable of.

Reactions: NHPiper
As you stated you're new to the platform and to Large frame gassers, give it time and report back after you've got some time under your belt.

I run JP SCS in all my rifles if the Tubbs flat wire springs set-up isn't what you like give it a go.

Yes the Timney trigger is average to say the least, I also run TriggerTechs AR10 Diamonds in all my Precision rifles. Take a look at some of my threads and you see what the SP10 is capable of.
I usually run a tubbs in the rest of my small frame stuff, it's the first thing to get ordered. Spring twang is usually a minor annoyance at best for me but it was super noticeable on this guy. I had an armaspec SRS (SCS knockoff) explode inside one of my rifles so i've avoided those systems since then.
Yes the timney is thoroughly average. its definitely good for a 'stock' trigger but i would prefer even my ssa-e over it.
I look forward to getting more time behind the gun. I can definitely tell that it's the hunk of meat behind the gun holding it back.

You have great opportunity to learn how to shoot a LFAR, unencumbered with previous AR15 habits. ( Not saying those groups aren't very good for the first time out )

Lots of people expect a LFAR to shoot like their AR15's... and end up using the same bench techniques.

I have to ask, how many rounds through the barrel ?

Did you clean it prior to shooting ?

And great rifle, for a heck of a deal, I would have bought it as well.

Reactions: bigjake83
You have great opportunity to learn how to shoot a LFAR, unencumbered with previous AR15 habits. ( Not saying those groups aren't very good for the first time out )

Lots of people expect a LFAR to shoot like their AR15's... and end up using the same bench techniques.

I have to ask, how many rounds through the barrel ?

Did you clean it prior to shooting ?

And great rifle, for a heck of a deal, I would have bought it as well.
Previous owner said about 600,and no I didn't clean it before going out. my FFL is my range, so i just picked it up and hit the go button. It definitely wasn't cleaned before being sent to me, but it didn't look absolutely filthy. Previous owner took good care of it, i'd say probably no more than 100 rounds since the last cleaning if I had to guess.

I don't really have any 'technique' when it comes to shooting for groups on small frame AR's..i just kinda fucked around for fun, never really intending to take it any more than what was required for DMR style matches. I definitely think I want to try and sign up for some kind of PRS course to learn how to shoot large frame, I could instantly tell that it's way more nuanced and technique matters a whole lot more than with small frame.

The vast majority of my long range experience is shooting milsurp rifles to range, with irons. Not even bagged usually, just off elbows or barricades. I'm not sure how applicable my experience with those is going to be on a large frame gasser.

You need to reach out to Paul at Frontline for a class. Pretty good guy. The guys at Bangsteel in Va are also great teachers.

The SP10s Hammer plain and simple. Mine in 6.5 is bolt gun accurate. The factory trigger won’t hold you back once you get some more time on it. . If the ammo funds are lacking I’d spend the trigger $$ on primers to dent. I shoot the large frames decent and will add this note: get a solid but not overbearing position and ride all the recoil impulse waves. Don’t fight them and create bad habits.

Attachments

• 59AB3F52-34E1-4999-A180-D9B6EC40FA97.jpeg
    59AB3F52-34E1-4999-A180-D9B6EC40FA97.jpeg
    590.9 KB · Views: 108
im local to western NC, so i might look into the guys in VA.

Check out Coleman's Creek in Ellerbe, NC. It should be about the same drive as the Bang Steel guys and Coleman's is an aawesome range. They offer basic and advanced long range classes, and the guys who teach and run the range are friendly, extremely knowledgeable and professional.

Last edited:
Reactions: 502Chevelle
Check out Coleman's Creek in Ellerbe, NC. It should be about the same drive as the Bang Steel guys and Coleman's is an aawesome range. They offer basic and advanced long range classes, and the guys who teach and run the range are friendly, extremely knowledgeable and professional.
Will look into it, thanks!

The SP10s Hammer plain and simple. Mine in 6.5 is bolt gun accurate. The factory trigger won’t hold you back once you get some more time on it. . If the ammo funds are lacking I’d spend the trigger $$ on primers to dent. I shoot the large frames decent and will add this note: get a solid but not overbearing position and ride all the recoil impulse waves. Don’t fight them and create bad habits.
Seeing the accuracy this thing is actually capable of makes me so excited.

First off, here it is in all it's glory. The scope is a loaner from a friend since I basically lucked into the rifle for an insane price. I wasn't expecting it and I am still undecided on what glass to actually put on there.View attachment 8104608

@Amatsukaze_DD

suggestion for buffer spring "sproing": put a light coating of wheel bearing grease on the inside of the buffer tube, and the buffer spring. Also, make sure the roll pin holding in the buffer bumper is not "proud" to the surface. if it is, use a punch to get it centered (if it isn't), or use a file to file it flush. That helps reduce the cheese grater sound.

Reactions: x248716x
If you want to go to Coleman’s Creek, let me know. I’m a member and could take you. Visitor fees are on you as I’m just a poor. I could help you with some basics and stuff, but I don’t know what you need or want exactly. I’m in Charlotte, and CC is another 1:20 or so East.

Reactions: Tx_Aggie
If you want to go to Coleman’s Creek, let me know. I’m a member and could take you. Visitor fees are on you as I’m just a poor. I could help you with some basics and stuff, but I don’t know what you need or want exactly. I’m in Charlotte, and CC is another 1:20 or so East.
Will keep that in mind, thanks! That puts it close to Raleigh right? Raleigh is about 4hrs for me

It’s in the middle of no where. If you see Albemarle on the map, go southeast to Mt Gilead, and about 15 mins south of there. You can shoot out to a mile, but lots of targets from 300 to 1200 yds. Have a real good 100 yd Zero before you go.

Reactions: Tx_Aggie
There is a one day PRS match at CC on Sunday Apr 16. You could come check out the match and the range, or volunteer to RO. I’ll be there either behind some glass or running a timer. I will be easy to spot, I’ll be the one in the red shirt. 😁

There is a one day PRS match at CC on Sunday Apr 16. You could come check out the match and the range, or volunteer to RO. I’ll be there either behind some glass or running a timer. I will be easy to spot, I’ll be the one in the red shirt. 😁
I might do! I just decided on and ordered the scope for this rifle; a march 4.5-28x52 and ordered a near alphamount to put it in. I realized that If i wanted an ATACR in mil-xt within the next year I'd either have to be extremely lucky or just buy it at full retail price. Glassaholic tipped me off to the march being on blowout sale at EO so that's what i went with.

Reactions: 502Chevelle