• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Completed Cartridge weight

takenotes

Private
Minuteman
Dec 8, 2021
Canada
Hey everyone, new here! I'm looking for some of you experienced guy's knowledge.

If I were to weigh factory loaded ammunition, and sort it all out by weight I am assuming that I'd have groups of more consistent groups and eliminate flyers.

The ammunition in question is 5.56.

I have weighed and sorted 40 rounds here are my results:

11.80 GRAMS x 2 rounds
11.82 GRAMS x 3 rounds
11.83 GRAMS x 4 rounds
11.84 GRAMS x 2 rounds
11.85 GRAMS x 17 rounds
11.86 GRAMS x 4 rounds
11.87 GRAMS x 1 rounds
11.88 GRAMS x 4 rounds
11.89 GRAMS x 3 rounds

Obviously for consistent groups I'm striving for 11.85 grams. I've come up with ROUGHLY - .01 GRAMS = 1.5 GRAINS.

So when we're talking about a variation of .04 grams from my base line of 11.85 grams, I'm wondering where will I start noticing the difference down range MOA.

It's a 5.56 round so its light, and there is not as much powder as the longer range cartridges out there, so I imagine 1.5 grains would be quite a big difference when we're discussing a precision group.

what should my tolerance be here. In a perfect world I have them all the exact same weight, I UNDERSTAND THERE ARE OTHER VARIABLES WITH WEIGHT- but speaking in generalized terms, we want uniformity.

I'm not about to measure the casings and the length, etc. Just looking for an answer regarding, assuming the variation in weight is powder. which most likely it is.

1.5 grains, how much is that effecting me down range at 100 yards. (I'm stretching to 500 with good groups, So looking for the precision perspective not, oh it's a .223 so anything sub 2 moa is good under 100 yards.).

will 1.5 grains of powder translate to .25 moa ? Will 6 grains translate to 3 moa ?

I'd really appreciate some help with this ! My own testing will be getting done in the next month and I'll update what I've found.

thanks so much.

What is your definition of a “consistent group” and a “flyer” in this context?

Take the lightest four rounds and heaviest four rounds in the above sample and engage a 500m target once you validated the drop.

My bet is, all things equal, you won’t notice any real difference in holdover or how they both print on target.

Shoot them like mentioned above and report back your results.

Otherwise its all speculation and verbal diarrhea until you get out to the range

Last edited:
I don't think weighing loaded ammo for consistency is going to gain you anything. There are too many variables involved to determine if any one component (brass, powder, bullet, even primer) of the load is just like rest.
Agree. But people keep getting wrapped around the axle when it comes to this shit and I don’t know why.

Reactions: mtang45
Obviously for consistent groups I'm striving for 11.85 grams. I've come up with ROUGHLY - .01 GRAMS = 1.5 GRAINS.
Nope, .01gram =.154 grain

Since you do not not know the source, whether bullet, powder or case, you haven no idea of what the affect of the weight variance (~1.5 grains) may be.

Don't make life hard for yourself. Buy quality components. Be consistent in your reloading technique. and go shoot.

Since you do not not know the source, whether bullet, powder or case, you haven no idea of what the affect of the weight variance (~1.5 grains) may be.
that's exactly what i said. 0.1 grams = ~ 1.5 grains. rounding.
I don't think weighing loaded ammo for consistency is going to gain you anything. There are too many variables involved to determine if any one component (brass, powder, bullet, even primer) of the load is just like rest.

looking to see if anyone has experience in how much 1.5 grains has an effect on moa down range on a .223 load. as brass and primers are going to be much closer to a consistent weight than powder. powder is obviously the biggest variable when it comes to the weight of factory loaded ammo, when i say obviously that's all i've ever heard from guys that i've seen shoot incredibly precise.
Don't make life hard for yourself. Buy quality components. Be consistent in your reloading technique. and go shoot.
not reloading.

What is your definition of a “consistent group” and a “flyer” in this context?

Take the lightest four rounds and heaviest four rounds in the above sample and engage a 500m target once you validated the drop.

My bet is, all things equal, you won’t notice any real difference in holdover or how they both print on target.

Shoot them like mentioned above and report back your results.

Otherwise its all speculation and verbal diarrhea until you get out to the range
a consistent group is minute of angle out to 500 yards and then i'll have "flyers" open that up to 2-4 moa. 50% of my rounds are moa.

so far, from the one hundred rounds i've weighed 60% are within .03 grams.

so making sense, so far.

shooting will occur this coming week/next weekend. looking to see if someone who's reloaded has experience with 1.5 grain increments in a .223 load and it's effect down range. 62-75 grain projectiles, 18.5 inch barrel, where's the information on. cuz so far all i've gotten is verbal diarrhea in response to a very specific question.

out of the replies, ZERO first hand experience in this loading. .223/5.56. grains of powder and results down range, working up or working down a load.

Your difference in brass in the case head is going to be the largest contributor and that doesn’t really matter much which is why people don’t waste their time weighing the complete thing.
Weigh the individual component and sort like that or don’t waste the time.

Your difference in brass in the case head is going to be the largest contributor and that doesn’t really matter much which is why people don’t waste their time weighing the complete thing.
Weigh the individual component and sort like that or don’t waste the time.
brass in the case head the largest contributor. rgr that.

any experience in 1.5 grains effect in moa down range on a .223 /5.56 load yourself? Interested in what guys are working up/down their loads by to see notable results

so making sense, so far.
Nope.
shooting will occur this coming week/next weekend. looking to see if someone who's reloaded has experience with 1.5 grain increments in a .223 load and its effect down range. 62-75 grain projectiles, 18.5 inch barrel, where's the information on. cuz so far all i've gotten is verbal diarrhea in response to a very specific question.
And the verbal diarrhea will continue until you make it to the range, shoot your test samples and find out for yourself.
out of the replies, ZERO first hand experience in this loading. .223/5.56. grains of powder and results down range, working up or working down a load.
More verbal diarrhea as I have no clue what you are trying to say here. You’re talking about weighing factory rounds but now suddenly you jump to reloading?
a consistent group is minute of angle out to 500 yards and then i'll have "flyers" open that up to 2-4 moa. 50% of my rounds are moa.
So you are able to consistently hold 1moa to 500y then it falls apart beyond that where only 50% of rounds hold a 1moa group?

If so, do you predominately miss high/low or left/right (like most) or a roughly equal mix of both? Sounds like 500 is about as far as your ammo is capable of 1moa precision with you behind that rifle.

Weighing loaded cartridges won't make a damn bit of difference in terms of helping you reduce your flyers, which is what all of us have been trying to tell you. Besides, are you really going to take every case of ammo you buy and weigh every goddamn round before you go shooting?

Want to eliminate ammo-sourced fliers/related precision problems at greater distances? Use better ammunition.

I have no idea what particular factory loads you have been running but grab a 50-ct box Black Hills 77otm and shoot groups at 700m (bring a spotter with you). Your hold over should be ~7.3 mils (DA = 4500; compensate .1-.2mil either way for every 1000 feet of DA from 4500 at 700m).

If your flyers persist the problem is with likely you (fundamentals), limitations with your weapon system or a combo of the two.

Last edited:
Reactions: OREGUN
With junk steel case/bimetal jacket 7.62x39 I pulled down hundreds of rounds to sort and put back together.
The cases had a range of about 4 to 5 grains, the bullets about 2 grains (exluding the few outlyers) and the powder was surprisingly consistent @ +/- 0.2 grains.
The as new ammo had a range of about 6 grains. Obviously the lightest few (of a case) had light case and light bullets, and the heaviest few had both heavy components. Since the bullet and cases are selected independently and assembled, statistically, anything in the middle had a pretty equal chance of having light/heavy or heavy/light components. I "think" I was able to determine that the lightest 30% and the heaviest 30% grouped better.
But, this was cheap steel case ammo.

Last edited:
Nope.

And the verbal diarrhea will continue until you make it to the range, shoot your test samples and find out for yourself.

More verbal diarrhea as I have no clue what you are trying to say here. You’re talking about weighing factory rounds but now suddenly you jump to reloading?

So you are able to consistently hold 1moa to 500y then it falls apart beyond that where only 50% of rounds hold a 1moa group?

If so, do you predominately miss high/low or left/right (like most) or a roughly equal mix of both? Sounds like 500 is about as far as your ammo is capable of 1moa precision with you behind that rifle.

Weighing loaded cartridges won't make a damn bit of difference in terms of helping you reduce your flyers, which is what all of us have been trying to tell you. Besides, are you really going to take every case of ammo you buy and weigh every goddamn round before you go shooting?

Want to eliminate ammo-sourced fliers/related precision problems at greater distances? Use better ammunition.

I have no idea what particular factory loads you have been running but grab a 50-ct box Black Hills 77otm and shoot groups at 700m (bring a spotter with you). Your hold over should be ~7.3 mils (DA = 4500; compensate .1mil either way for every 1000 feet of DA from 4500).

If your flyers persist the problem is with likely you (fundamentals), limitations with your weapon system or a combo of the two.

looking for the answer to the question of 1.5 grains of ammunition accuracy down range on a .223/5.56 working up and down a load what's noticeable. not black hills this and fundamentals that. thanks though. I'll bring a spotter next time and check my gear combo.

If your 223 ammo has a 1.5 grain difference in powder weight, buy better ammo.

Like spife said, it's most likely the brass and a very, very low chance of it being something else.

A 1.5 grain brass variation is pretty normal for anything other than big money brass like lapua.

Just shoot it and stop looking for reasons for shitty shooting.

Reactions: OREGUN
With junk steel case/bimetal jacket 7.62x39 I pulled down hundreds of rounds to sort and put back together.
The cases had a range of about 4 to 5 grains, the bullets about 2 grains and the powder was surprisingly consistent @ +/- 0.2 grains.
The as new ammo had a range of about 6 grains. Obviously the lightest few (of a case) had light case and light bullets, and the heaviest few had both heavy components. Since the bullet and cases are selected independently and assembled, statistically, anything in the middle had a pretty equal chance of having light/heavy or heavy/light components. I "think" I was able to determine that the lightest 30% and the heaviest 30% grouped better.
But, this was cheap steel case ammo.
interesting the 30% lightest and the 30% heaviest grouped better.

The lighter 30% grouped better and the heavier 30% grouped better, separately, than unsorted.
The extreme light and heavy few were culled and pulled down.
Had friends that claimed to have found very light charges. I NEVER have.
Heavy charges would be unlikely with 95% + fill.

Attachments

• P1210818.jpg
    P1210818.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Okay, I get it.

We've told you what the issue is and you're not happy with the answer because you want someone else to do the complete nonsense work for you.

It's a waste of time, but if you really want to stand there shaking your fists and stomping your feet, then by all means, go ahead.
But please, do it somewhere else.

looking for the answer to the question of 1.5 grains of ammunition accuracy down range on a .223/5.56 working up and down a load what's noticeable. not black hills this and fundamentals that. thanks though. I'll bring a spotter next time and check my gear combo.
And you will only get that answer (maybe) when you shoot.

And yes, the fucking ammo is your problem, if its not you - eliminate the ammo variable by getting better ammo (the best factory ammo on Earth for long range 5.56 nato) and stop worrying about how 1.5g impacts drop values, for fucks sake.

Okay, I get it.

We've told you what the issue is and you're not happy with the answer because you want someone else to do the complete nonsense work for you.

It's a waste of time, but if you really want to stand there shaking your fists and stomping your feet, then by all means, go ahead.
But please, do it somewhere else.
dude this isn't a counterstrike forum. get a life.

And you will only get that answer (maybe) when you shoot.

And yes, the fucking ammo is your problem, if its not you - eliminate the ammo variable by getting better ammo (the best factory ammo on Earth for long range 5.56 nato) and stop worrying about how 1.5g impacts drop values, for fucks sake.
i'm not too worried, looking for information on that. haven't gotten any yet. looking for a reloading guy who can give me some numbers

i'm not too worried
You are, otherwise this thread wouldn’t exist.

Just get better factory ammo and your issues with flyers will largely go away or reduce to a level that’s not important.

If you ever decide to reload (best move you can make) you can clone the BH load and/or improve upon it. That will solve your problem.

Weighing loaded factory rounds (lol) wont.

I had to sort 100 22 Nosler reloads once. Dropped 50 loaded with IMR4350 and 50 loaded with CFE223. Same bullets and could find each powder by total weight. Cases were presorted to a grain though.

Here is a silly sorting video that shows distribution of X39 rounds.

slick. you're so above me. anyways hope someone who has experience in my question can post something sometime. cuz so far this forum is pretty petty. bunch of flamers posting shit i didn't ask for.
I'm afraid son, since you are not hearing the wisdom of what has been said, that you may be doomed to an eternity of head up. No one is going to give you the answer you are looking for because it is the most absurd idea that you can forecast any kind of accuracy by weighing loaded rounds. Hate to break it to you but there will be no advice coming your way supporting your experiment, its just the way it is. We are not Flamers, we have actually been trying to give you sound advice about how impractical the idea is and you are not listening.

You are, otherwise this thread wouldn’t exist.

Just get better factory ammo and your issues with flyers will largely go away or reduce to a level that’s not important.

If you ever decide to reload (best move you can make) you can clone the BH load and/or improve upon it. That will solve your problem.

Weighing loaded factory rounds (lol) wont.
rgr that. I'm not -TOO- worried. words.
I'm afraid son, since you are not hearing the wisdom of what has been said, that you may be doomed to an eternity of head up. No one is going to give you the answer you are looking for because it is the most absurd idea that you can forecast any kind of accuracy by weighing loaded rounds. Hate to break it to you but there will be no advice coming your way supporting your experiment, its just the way it is. We are not Flamers, we have actually been trying to give you sound advice about how impractical the idea is and you are not listening.
the best advice so far was the dude that said the weight discrepancy would mostly be allocated in the brass. primer is inconsequential due to its contribution of total mass of cartridge, and i believe the bullet to be as well, the biggest variable would be the powder aside from brass.

interested in someone with WISDOM to shed some on me and answer the question of how many grains do you work up and down loads and what increments do you choose to note accuracy changes.

it's pretty simple. it's in the RELOADING part of the forum.

and nobody is hitting me with any "wisdom" on the matter i've presented.

instead I'm getting, son this, and fundamentals that. buy better ammo, oh you suck at shooting, like..... I'm here for a very specific reason.

.223/5.56 loads. how you work them up and down. what effects are you seeing accuracy. that's all.

You say you're interested in moa precision. Ok, that's reasonable. You say you are seeing groups open up to 4 or so moa with "fliers" in factory ammo. Hm, yeah maybe. But your claim that half of your rounds fall into a one moa group, is like taking a half rotten apple, and making a claim that half the apple is still good.

Listen to what has already been said. Perhaps your rifle just doesn't like the ammo you're shooting. That happens with regularity. Try a different brand of ammo. Or a different bullet weight from the same brand. Or ask another experienced shooter to shoot a group with your rifle to rule out shooter error.

Folks who load their own ammo, who are weighing charges, weigh to a tenth of a grain, or sometimes half a tenth. If you're seeing 1.5 grain variations in powder charge in handloaded ammo, someone fucked up. But, because you seem to be convinced of your assumption that powder charge is going to be that variable that's causing your poor results on target, take apart a box of the ammunition you are shooting. Pull the bullets out of the cases, dump the powder out into your scale, and weigh the powder charge, the case, and the bullet separately. I bet the variation in the powder is no more than .2 or .3 grains, especially if it's a "match grade" load.

But prove us all wrong, please.

You say you're interested in moa precision. Ok, that's reasonable. You say you are seeing groups open up to 4 or so moa with "fliers" in factory ammo. Hm, yeah maybe. But your claim that half of your rounds fall into a one moa group, is like taking a half rotten apple, and making a claim that half the apple is still good.

Listen to what has already been said. Perhaps your rifle just doesn't like the ammo you're shooting. That happens with regularity. Try a different brand of ammo. Or a different bullet weight from the same brand. Or ask another experienced shooter to shoot a group with your rifle to rule out shooter error.

Folks who load their own ammo, who are weighing charges, weigh to a tenth of a grain, or sometimes half a tenth. If you're seeing 1.5 grain variations in powder charge in handloaded ammo, someone fucked up. But, because you seem to be convinced of your assumption that powder charge is going to be that variable that's causing your poor results on target, take apart a box of the ammunition you are shooting. Pull the bullets out of the cases, dump the powder out into your scale, and weigh the powder charge, the case, and the bullet separately. I bet the variation in the powder is no more than .2 or .3 grains, especially if it's a "match grade" load.

so all that paragraph aside, how many grains do you work up and down a .223/5.56 load to discern differences in noticeable accuracy?

I had to sort 100 22 Nosler reloads once. Dropped 50 loaded with IMR4350 and 50 loaded with CFE223. Same bullets and could find each powder by total weight. Cases were presorted to a grain though.

Here is a silly sorting video that shows distribution of X39 rounds.

amazing. so you found the biggest discrepancies were in the weight of the projectile and the brass, the powder load seems very consistent in your analysis.

looking to see if anyone has experience in how much 1.5 grains has an effect on moa down range on a .223 load. as brass and primers are going to be much closer to a consistent weight than powder. powder is obviously the biggest variable when it comes to the weight of factory loaded ammo,
A difference of 1.5gr cartridge weight will have negligible effect on moa down range in .223. Powder is not necessarily the biggest (weight) variable when it comes to total cartridge weight, as any brass except stuff like ADG, Lapua, Peterson, RWS etc. will typically vary more than powder weight. And even if I am wrong here, there are too many confounding variables (bullet weight, powder weight, primer weight, etc.) compounding in error for cartridge weight to have any statistical significance in down range accuracy.

A difference of 1.5gr cartridge weight will have negligible effect on moa down range in .223. Powder is not necessarily the biggest (weight) variable when it comes to total cartridge weight, as any brass except stuff like ADG, Lapua, Peterson, RWS etc. will typically vary more than powder weight.
thanks!! what would you work a load up and down by in grains to see the result downrange ?

You didn't read what I wrote. 1/10th grain variations in powder charge are the standard of measure. Any variation larger than that can lead to significant inconsistency due to velocity variation at longer ranges. A 1.5 grain variation in powder charge is the difference between a safe load, and potentially a blown up rifle, especially when you're talking about a low capacity cartridge like .223.

if it makes you happy then weigh everything bullets , powder per kernel if you want to , and brass , seating depth and be as consistent as you can be with it all . I tried to do something like that with a box of 500 bullets after 1/2 hour I had to give up on it I thought I was going to loose my mind , I put it all back and loaded 50 then shot them the next day shooting was far more fun than sorting to me than going through the hassel for such a tiny gain , but you got to your thing best of luck .

Geeze, all you guys are crawing up the wrong tree.

Dissasemble a hundred of the factory rounds and weigh each component to find the culprit of the fliers.

Then reassemble.

You didn't read what I wrote. 1/10th grain variations in powder charge are the standard of measure. Any variation larger than that can lead to significant inconsistency due to velocity variation at longer ranges. A 1.5 grain variation in powder charge is the difference between a safe load, and potentially a blown up rifle, especially when you're talking about a low capacity cartridge like .223.
okay roger that. why would someone say in a reloading forum 1.5 grains would have a negligible effect on a .223 moa down range?

Geeze, all you guys are crawing up the wrong tree.

Dissasemble a hundred of the factory rounds and weigh each component to find the culprit of the fliers.

Then reassemble.
Recommended that already, but he decided that wasn't worth a read.

• Haha
Reactions: Snuby642
if it makes you happy then weigh everything bullets , powder per kernel if you want to , and brass , seating depth and be as consistent as you can be with it all . I tried to do something like that with a box of 500 bullets after 1/2 hour I had to give up on it I thought I was going to loose my mind , I put it all back and loaded 50 then shot them the next day shooting was far more fun than sorting to me than going through the hassel for such a tiny gain , but you got to your thing best of luck .
someone earlier said he did that, well unsure of reassemble and then firing for moa. but he said the least discrepancy was in the weight of the powder! with that round it was brass and bullet as the majority of weight variations.

okay roger that. why would someone say in a reloading forum 1.5 grains would have a negligible effect on a .223 moa down range?
Because the variation in loaded factory ammo is not due to a 1.5 grain disparity in powder weight. The brass, the bullet, and the primer are going to be the source of 90% of the variation in weight between each loaded round, NOT THE POWDER.

it's not about proving you wrong man. whats this whole US vs me deal on here? fucking weird. you just made sense, good job. thanks for the info.

Because the variation in loaded factory ammo is not due to a 1.5 grain disparity in powder weight. The brass, the bullet, and the primer are going to be the source of 90% of the variation in weight between each loaded round, NOT THE POWDER.
ok when i read grains i was assuming they were referring to POWDER , because POWDER is the subject I have in question. 1.5 grains of any other component is obviously negligible. I'm asking over and over about grains of powder.

You know what, you're right. Better to sort all your ammo to a tenth of a grain, just to be sure you're not leaving accuracy on the table.

You know what, you're right. Better to sort all your ammo to a tenth of a grain, just to be sure you're not leaving accuracy on the table.
i legit never said that at all or anywhere near. I'm looking at 1.5 grain discrepancies, and curious how much a .223 and 5.56 load gets worked up and down with grains of powder... this whole conflict thing is so fucking weird on here.

ok when i read grains i was assuming they were referring to POWDER , because POWDER is the subject I have in question. 1.5 grains of any other component is obviously negligible. I'm asking over and over about grains of powder.
No dumbass, you weren’t.

Youve been talking non-stop about the weight of entire fucking loaded round, comparing/sorting them, searching for “accuracy” like some crazed crackwhore looking for another rock.

Dont put fucking words in people’s mouth, asshole.

Youve been a total piece of shit to everyone who has tried to help you, then wonder why its coming back on you like it is?

Face it: your ammo sucks, you cant fucking shoot and refuse to accept help on either front…Shit for brains moron.

Log off, Get the fuck out.

No dumbass, you weren’t.

Youve been talking non-stop about the weight of entire fucking loaded round, comparing/sorting them, searching for “accuracy” like some crazed crackwhore looking for another rock.

Dont put fucking words in people’s mouth, asshole.

Youve been a total piece of shit to everyone who has tried to help you, then wonder why its coming back on you like it is?

Face it: your ammo sucks, you cant fucking shoot and refuse to accept help on either front…Shit for brains moron.

Log off, Get the fuck out.
omg you're mind is so dull. this forum is a complete waste. honestly. legit retards. there were 3 helpful people. the rest are deprived nerds who aren't bringing any knowledge to the table. just waiting for a chance to be a keyboard hero. fucking weird around here. legit, 3 people provided good info. the rest, including you, emotional cowards. no wonder america is going to shit if you're the type reproducing.

• Haha
Reactions: nn8734
omg you're mind is so dull. this forum is a complete waste. honestly. legit retards. there were 3 helpful people. the rest are deprived nerds who aren't bringing any knowledge to the table. just waiting for a chance to be a keyboard hero. fucking weird around here. legit, 3 people provided good info. the rest, including you, emotional cowards. no wonder america is going to shit if you're the type reproducing.
I specified powder weight, SO many times. it's silly. this is a waste of time. instead of asking for someones knowledge- have to go through alllllll this shit on your own so you don't have girls trying to bully you online. useless.

And those three people likely deeply regret doing so (just a hunch).

Anyway, here’s your parting gift. Congratulations - you’ve earned it.
A19017C4-732D-431D-AC75-59F5A9475815.jpeg

Last edited:
Recommended that already, but he decided that wasn't worth a read.
It was sarcasm.

Not much you can do about factory loads.
Buy a selection of brands and compare them against each other.

Every component you buy will have variance when you reload. Sort them if you wish, controll your brass sizing, seating depth and powder best you can.

Sort out culls and use them for blasters.

I doubt you will be happy with factory ammo.

And yes it's 1 AM and you asked questions that nothing can be done about buying shelf ammo.

The guys are gona play kickball.

A 0.3gr powder variance will wreck your day in many loads.

Last edited:
It was sarcasm.

Every component you buy will have variance when you reload. Sort them if you wish, controll your brass sizing, seating depth and powder best you can.

Sort out culls and use them for blasters.

I doubt you will be happy with factory ammo.

And yes it's 1 AM and you asked questions that nothing can be done about buying shelf ammo.

The guys are gona play kickball.
thanks for being normal

It was sarcasm.

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm with you. Noone in their right mind would sort factory ammo by weight, let alone disassemble and rebuild said ammo to confirm component consistency as anything but an experiment... Right?