• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Completely new to this

brickbd

Private
Minuteman
Dec 20, 2009
Twin Cities, Mn
Here in Mn Coyotes are year round hunting. I have never hunted before an plan on taking a deer this winter. I thought I would start with yotes do to them being in abundance here.

My question is this: which round is better for a coyote hunt.... a .308 or .223???

Re: Completely new to this

I would choose the .223. I recover and tan all of my hides for trading in the spring at Rendezvous. The better the hide, the better the money you get out of them. A small hole is always easier to get around than a large one.

@ over $40.00 a pop for a prime time dog fur, 3 good dogs you got urself an 8 lb keg of powder in no time... just sayin...

^^ Now that sparks an iteresting question. Are you looking to keep the hides and find someone who is willing to buy them off you, or are you just looking to eradicate as many of them as you can and have a little bloody messy fun while you're at it??

Both will work. 308 is maybe a bit much if you are selling hides. But it will flat make one take a dirt nap.

223 will work on them just fine.

If you are looking for some nice, really flat and fast shooting, try a 22-250.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elkhuntinguide</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why not use the rifle you plan to kill the deer with... </div></div>