• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Component (powder) overlap between 308 and 6.5 PRC

Nivium

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Oct 10, 2020
Swapped around rifles and I'm getting geared up to reload 308 and 6.5 PRC almost exclusively. Retumbo has been my magnum powder of choice, and Varget for 308, but I have neither. Question is, is there a powder I can stock up on that will perform in both? A number of both my 308 and 6.5 PRCs are short barreled (308 as short as 16.5 and 6.5 PRC as short as 18), and honestly the shorter barreled rigs are my favorite. Would be great if I can get 16 lb of somewhat fast burning powder that will perform in short 308 (bisley chamber) and 6.5 PRC. As for primers that can be used in both, I'm assuming the best answer is 210m, but open to suggestions on that front as well.

Also very interested in hearing any short barrel 308 and 6.5 PRC hunting loads that have been successful.

Thanks in advance

Reactions: simonp
A powder that would work in both is not going to be optimal in either. Most online load data sources aren't even going to list the recommended powders with any overlap. You might get away with a 4350, or N550...but you'll be figuring out load data on your own, and probably be disappointed in the results.

I know of guys running standard LRP in the PRC, so that might be easier...but I'd probably shy away from ball powders as thise are traditionally harder to ignite, especially in colder temps.

It's going to be about as likely as finding a bullet that works for both.
You could put a 6mm down both with equal results?
1688564389996.gif

How about N565 for both 308 and 6.5 PRC?

You are going to need 2 different powders. There is no optimum way of doing it. N565 is a tad slow for the PRC let alone for the 308.

Reactions: Rhed
Swapped around rifles and I'm getting geared up to reload 308 and 6.5 PRC almost exclusively. Retumbo has been my magnum powder of choice, and Varget for 308, but I have neither. Question is, is there a powder I can stock up on that will perform in both? A number of both my 308 and 6.5 PRCs are short barreled (308 as short as 16.5 and 6.5 PRC as short as 18), and honestly the shorter barreled rigs are my favorite. Would be great if I can get 16 lb of somewhat fast burning powder that will perform in short 308 (bisley chamber) and 6.5 PRC. As for primers that can be used in both, I'm assuming the best answer is 210m, but open to suggestions on that front as well.

Also very interested in hearing any short barrel 308 and 6.5 PRC hunting loads that have been successful.

Thanks in advance
Try 4831sc

How about N565 for both 308 and 6.5 PRC?
N565 works great for my 6.5 PRC, but it's lousy (way too slow) for the .308.

You are going to need 2 different powders. There is no optimum way of doing it. N565 is a tad slow for the PRC let alone for the 308.
I agree that a different powder is needed for each these two cartridges. My go to powder for my .308 is AR-Comp and for my 6.5 PRC it's N565 (Retumbo being close behind).

Hmmmm??? Am not sure why you say N565 is a "tad slow" as my accuracy load gets me just a hair under 3000 fps with 142 SMKs, Berger 153.5s and Hornady 153 A-Tips. You'd consider that "a tad slow"?

Reactions: Nivium
The lighter magnum powders like 4831, H1000 or even N555 should get it up to 3100FPS. N565 will work, and be super safe, that's why I said it was a tad slow. I use N565 with 215s on my 300NM. Certainly no way in hell I would use it for 308.

Reactions: straightshooter1
Thanks all. Sounds like I can't really overlap them. What is yall's preferred powders for a short barrel setup in each cartridge? Retumbo has been pretty good for 18 inch 6.5 PRC, but I'm thinking I need to go a bit faster to get a more velocity out of the 18". AR Comp seems like a good solution for a 16.5 inch 308, but again, it would be great for some real world experience.

Thanks

Imr 4350 works in 6.5 creed , 308 win and , 300 win mag , I am also thinking 30-06 and possibly others .

You could put a 6mm down both with equal results?

I'm thinking a 6mm would do slightly better down a 6.5 barrel than a 308 - a little more rattle in the 308. There's an old saying in shooting undersized bullets, "less rattle is good."

Reactions: spife7980
@Nivium tell me which bullets you plan to shoot for each cartridge and I'll run numbers in Quickload to tell you some good powder candidates. Maybe there's a powder that shows up on both lists?

Thanks all. Sounds like I can't really overlap them. What is yall's preferred powders for a short barrel setup in each cartridge? Retumbo has been pretty good for 18 inch 6.5 PRC, but I'm thinking I need to go a bit faster to get a more velocity out of the 18". AR Comp seems like a good solution for a 16.5 inch 308, but again, it would be great for some real world experience.

Thanks
Don't know what your shooting out of your 16.5" .308, but here what my lot of AR-Comp can produce with 155 SMK Palma's:
.308 155 Sierra Palma b.jpg

.308 155 Sierra Palma.jpg

@Nivium tell me which bullets you plan to shoot for each cartridge and I'll run numbers in Quickload to tell you some good powder candidates. Maybe there's a powder that shows up on both lists?
I've searched for such a powder and sure, there are powders one can use in both, but one way or the other, I'd have to substantially compromise on both or just one of these calibers over the other for a given powder. I'm not willing to compromise for either one. 😵‍💫

Need to talk bullet weight to have any kind of meaningful discussion. Even then its a stretch...

Much appreciated. For 308, I've been a 165 grain accubond guy for a few years, but I'm just now restocking everything and thinking about shifting to one extreme. In a 16.5 inch barrel, I think I'm most efficient to use a heavy like the 180 SST with a fast-ish burning powder. That, or I could jump down to the 150s with a fast powder and get a bit more velocity back. Need to be able to comfortably hunt at 350 yards and in, with some big black bear on the menu but nothing bigger.

Same issue with the 6.5 PRC. I run 147 ELD-Ms, but have considered switching to the lightweight hammer hunters for more velocity. Still thinking it's most efficient to go 147 or 156 berger with a fast-ish powder suited to the shorter barrel.

Any thoughts on bullet weight for my next order? Thanks again

100% gonna need to shoot heavies from the 308 and load them way out.
555 or 560 would be where i'd start in that case
This is what I'm thinking. 180 grains out of the 16.5" shouldn't be significantly slower than the same bullet in a 20 inch with the right powder for the shorter barrel.

So as expected, there's no real obvious powder that would work well in both cartridges. You're just not going to be anywhere near optimized with a single powder, though an argument could be made for RL17 in both, but it's fairly anemic in the .3o8WIN and a bit hot in the 6.5PRC.

I did some comparisons and even tried a lighter 130gr bullet to see if RL17 would work, but you're still getting sub-par performance out of both.

1689043132287.png

16.5" .308WIN w/165 Accubond

1689043219320.png

16.5" .308WIN w/180 Accubond

1689043337166.png

18" 6.5PRC w/147 ELD-M

1689043467285.png

18" 6.5PRC w/147 ELD-M using RL17

1689043555054.png

18" 6.5PRC w/130 ELD-M using RL17

So as expected, there's no real obvious powder that would work well in both cartridges. You're just not going to be anywhere near optimized with a single powder, though an argument could be made for RL17 in both, but it's fairly anemic in the .3o8WIN and a bit hot in the 6.5PRC.

I did some comparisons and even tried a lighter 130gr bullet to see if RL17 would work, but you're still getting sub-par performance out of both.
Awesome, thank you

Alright, been digging more, and what are yall's thoughts on Staball match for both 6.5 PRC and 308?

...what are yall's thoughts on Staball match for both 6.5 PRC and 308?
You are trying to load a the limit of burn rate, limit of bullet weight, limit of viable barrel length, etc...accross two platforms.

ETA: Staball HD ≠ Staball Match.

HD STABALL is rated for 6.5PRC from 120gr to 153gr bullet weights.
MATCH STABALL is rated for 308 Win from150gr up to 208gr.

Data from>https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/reloading-data-center

Last edited:
There is no overlap in good powders for a large bore small volume case compared to an overbore large volume case.

No matter how many times you ask the physics and chemistry isn’t going to change that.
honestly if asking these questions probably not super concerned about performance. N555/560 and send it

Trail Boss can be used for both applications, although with reduced performance. But you’ll get good case fill and low recoil.