• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Composite vs Laminated

freezingduck

Private
Minuteman
Jan 2, 2010
Norway
My everlasting project of building up my Sauer 200 str continues.

I have been looking at two different stock since there isn't that many that is being made for that rifle:(

The mcmillan stock for the SSG3000 fits and a laminated GRS long range stock.

I know the GRS stock is a high quality stock, but I am unsure how a laminated stock will hold up compared to a composite stock.
does anyone have any experience with high quality laminated stocks vs composite?

The GRS stock is 20%cheaper

Re: Composite vs Laminated

The laminated stock will hold up just fine. Since it's an equally nice choice but much cheaper, it gets the nod.

If the price was the same, my answer would have been "Does not matter", since the actual method of construction does not matter for all but the most demanding stocks.

Wood will swell. Not sure if a good bedding job will prevent this from affecting anything or not.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Twitch2120</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wood will swell. </div></div>

wood will swell when it absorbs water, either it be submerged for a period of time or in a humid environment.It will also shrink if its dried out in a hot dry environment. I dont think it would happen over night but It would be something to deff keep an eye on. esp since the finnish on the wood will most likely be broken when bedding is done and any dents and nicks that will occur during normal use. Something else to consider will be the weight of the stock, if your looking to keep your rig at a certain weight.

Since GRS is a Norwegian company I think it's best to ask them. They seem avid hunters and a lot of the pictures show snow and bad weather.

As long as you take good care of your rifle you'll be fine.

They have a maintenance page on their site. When you take it out in the rain they recommend to wipe your stock with Ballistol.

Wish I could go shooting in your country. I loved it there when I road through it on my motorbike

I actually prefer laminate stocks for a number of reasons. Much easier to work with IMO in terms of mounting accessories, bedding , etc.

Paint or seal your laminate stock and you will not have any issues.

Obviously ya'll have not dealt much with quality laminates. They are made of very thin layers of wood soaked with resin/glue, sound familiar? fiberglass is done the same way. If the wood is dry before hand it readily soaks up the adhesive and there are virtually no unsaturated pores to absorb moisture. Of course the key is virtually, if its left in standing water for a long period of time the water will find any imperfection, and it may take on water or delaminate, fiberglass laminates have been known to do the same thing on occasion. A laminate made by a knowledgable builder with qaulity components will be very stable, I would venture as stable as any composite, since that is essentially what has been made with wood fibers instead of glass cloth or fibers. However they do tend to be much heavier.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Beef</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Obviously ya'll have not dealt much with quality laminates. They are made of very thin layers of wood soaked with resin/glue, sound familiar? fiberglass is done the same way. If the wood is dry before hand it readily soaks up the adhesive and there are virtually no unsaturated pores to absorb moisture. Of course the key is virtually, if its left in standing water for a long period of time the water will find any imperfection, and it may take on water or delaminate, fiberglass laminates have been known to do the same thing on occasion. A laminate made by a knowledgable builder with qaulity components will be very stable, I would venture as stable as any composite, since that is essentially what has been made with wood fibers instead of glass cloth or fibers. However they do tend to be much heavier. </div></div>

This.

Nobody likes to accept it, since it's not sexy like carbon fiber, but wood laminates _are_ composites. With the modern materials used in the laminates, you won't have any problems with swelling.

Pick the one you like better.