• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Compressed loads 308??

Drumie

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 2, 2005
Western New York
I just started to relaod for 308, been reloading small stuff for just over a year now. When I set the bullet I am hearing a crunching noise that I never got doing 223. I am using Hornady once fired brass trimmed to 2.004, Laupa 155 Scenar and Varget. I could hear the crunch at 45.6gr of Varget. Is this normal? I just want to make sure I am not doing something wrong. The OAL is 2.817 on the loaded round.
Thanks

Re: Compressed loads 308??

That's normal. My 45.0 Varget in Lapua brass cruches all the time. As always, watch for pressure signs on the fired case.

Thanks that is what I thought. I haven't fired any yet. Just loading up some different charges and hopefully see what shoots the best this weekend.

A) Varget and compressed loads pretty much go together.

B) lightly compressed loads often shoot better groups because the powder is frozen in place as the bullet is seated.

C) as long as pressure signs are absent, there is nothing to worry about.

D) Both my 308 and 223 loads go crunch with Varget.

I run 47 grains of Varget and a 168 Berger VLD with Winchester and Lapua brass. I am crushing it.