• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Computer split screen or 2 monitors?

atepointer

Old Salt
Minuteman
  • Nov 20, 2018
    For those who live on a computer all day I'd like to hear from people who have gone ot multiple monitors or split their screen for spreadsheets, email etc. I run 2 different spread sheets pretty much all day and both totally unrelated on a Mac. So I definitely want to declutter the bouncing back and forth from one sheet to the next where I lose view of the other. I'd like to have one screen dedicated to one sheet and one to another. Then I just talked to a friend who splits it on one big screen? Pros/cons to each?

Thanks!

2 monitors, at least. If you work with multiple spreadsheets daily, then get 3 or 4 monitors. Definitely WAY better than splitting one screen.
    Ugh dang....2 is all I can fit on my standing deck. Ok so the splitting one screen is no bueno good to know. Thanks man....hmmmm. Ok here we go! How does this work when I need the cursor to move to the next sheet 2 monitors over? Computer tech ain't my specialty!

Ugh dang....2 is all I can fit on my standing deck. Ok so the splitting one screen is no bueno good to know. Thanks man....hmmmm. Ok here we go! How does this work when I need the cursor to move to the next sheet 2 monitors over? Computer tech ain't my specialty!
    the computer sees all the monitors as essentially 1 big monitor....so if you just keep dragging your cursor, it will move screens on its own.

A lot depends on how big your monitors are and what resolution you run them at.

If for example you have a 43" 4K monitor, then you usually find that you can easily stick a whole bunch of stuff up in 1/4th windows and be really happy.

If you are using something smaller like 24" or 27" monitors at a lower resolution, then go with 2 monitors (or 3)

Need to have your monitors setting on extend desktop so the computer basically just sees it as one giant monitor.

Laptop and one 24" then other computer is on 2 24"

The desktop is there to handling the modeling and simulations. Laptop can do it, but it's slow, and sounds like a quad copter trying to take off the desk.

Before I retired, I used about 5 or 6 different programs to do my job, and the company finally provided me with 2 monitors, I kept the xcel spreadsheet on one 100% of the time, and used the other monitor for all the other stuff. These monitors were only 15-17" diagonals +/-, and had limited desktop space. The tabs at the bottom for each different program was not bad to find once I had them set up in the order I preferred on the one monitor. Don;t really miss work either. LOL

Even with two, you'll be a million times happier than splitting one screen.

Been doing two monitors for close to 25 years. Mine is one in front, one to the right, and I set controls and secondary messaging stuff to the right so the main screen is for the primary work.

Think of what else you do aside from the spreadsheets, as setting two up centered might be weird for your brain, so ponder that a bit when measuring for desk setup etc.

They DO have super wide screens that might work but they tend to be more expensive than two normal monitors. A bit of an overview/comparison, from a monitor maker so it may be skewed but has diagrams and photos:

Reactions: dogmessiah
    Been doing two monitors for close to 25 years. Mine is one in front, one to the right, and I set controls and secondary messaging stuff to the right so the main screen is for the primary work.

Think of what else you do aside from the spreadsheets, as setting two up centered might be weird for your brain, so ponder that a bit when measuring for desk setup etc.

They DO have super wide screens that might work but they tend to be more expensive than two normal monitors. A bit of an overview/comparison, from a monitor maker so it may be skewed but has diagrams and photos:

Here is why I DON'T like "Ultra wide" monitors for spreadsheet work.

In the above example of a 38" monitor, the resolution is only 3840 (horizontal) x 1600 (vertical) which kind of actually sucks for multiple things.
    A proper 43" 4K monitor would be 3840 (horizontal) x 2160 (vertical).

Those extra pixels on the vertical don't seem like much, but they make a huge difference when you go to doing things, as the 4K 43" gives you the equivalent of 4x 20" 1920x1080 screens put together.

For spreadsheet work, this means you can have 2 big spreadsheets open with a lot of room to work, as most of the time you need vertical space for a big spreadsheet.

Now you want really fancy....

1x 43" 4K (3840x2160) monitor in the center
    2x 27" 2560x1440 monitors, one on each side in portrait orientation.
    Now you are somebody....

I can say after running two monitors you see why people love it.

I had mine set up with one in Portrait and one in Landscape. Worked great for me. I had to read tons of PDF pages sometimes with other documents open like drawings or diagrams. Wish I could have had another monitor just for the emails.

Hi,

Someone say split screens???

I think you dropped this going to get coffee....
    1625687954390.png

Sincerely,
    Theis

thanks guys lots of good suggestions here i think i'm gonna dive into 2 separate monitors

The better half is a spreadsheet jockey... she runs four huge monitors.

Her desk is like the freaking starship enterprise.

Me, I get confused looking at anything more complex than a 3-axis DRO.

Sirhr
    I don't relish it....one of these days it will be down to one spreadsheet.....until then like you I will go through a learning phase. I think it's worth a try at this point I'm going googlymoogly eyed chasing these sheets around!

For those who live on a computer all day I'd like to hear from people who have gone ot multiple monitors or split their screen for spreadsheets, email etc. I run 2 different spread sheets pretty much all day and both totally unrelated on a Mac. So I definitely want to declutter the bouncing back and forth from one sheet to the next where I lose view of the other. I'd like to have one screen dedicated to one sheet and one to another. Then I just talked to a friend who splits it on one big screen? Pros/cons to each?

Thanks!

Rebecca said to stop being a cheap ass and buy yourself another monitor.

Your tax dollars bought her a second screen and she'd never go back.

Told me to tell you split screen makes shit too small.

Oh, and if I didn't already mention it, time to open up your wallet.

• Haha
    Reactions: lash

Do I need to come over and mount two on the wall above the ones on your desk?

Reactions: lash and Barneybdb
    Rebecca said to stop being a cheap ass and buy yourself another monitor.

Your tax dollars bought her a second screen and she'd never go back.

Told me to tell you split screen makes shit too small.

Oh, and if I didn't already mention it, time to open up your wallet.
    I was sitting here on a conference call laughing out loud. Hey I'm on it doing a second monitor!

Here is why I DON'T like "Ultra wide" monitors for spreadsheet work.

In the above example of a 38" monitor, the resolution is only 3840 (horizontal) x 1600 (vertical) which kind of actually sucks for multiple things.
    A proper 43" 4K monitor would be 3840 (horizontal) x 2160 (vertical).

Those extra pixels on the vertical don't seem like much, but they make a huge difference when you go to doing things, as the 4K 43" gives you the equivalent of 4x 20" 1920x1080 screens put together.

For spreadsheet work, this means you can have 2 big spreadsheets open with a lot of room to work, as most of the time you need vertical space for a big spreadsheet.

Now you want really fancy....

1x 43" 4K (3840x2160) monitor in the center
    2x 27" 2560x1440 monitors, one on each side in portrait orientation.
    Now you are somebody....
    Yep. I keep waiting for a monitor to "die" to go to that setup.

Two would be a minimum, three definitely better. 1080 monitors are so cheap it's a shame not to go at least three. Multi-mounts are readily available to free up some desk space.

Reactions: lash and Feurhand
    Like many others have suggested, 2 monitors is the way to fly. Depending on what you're doing, 3 could be better. It might seem excessive, but once you have all that real estate it's difficult to go back to one screen.

Reactions: shoobe01
    Like many others have suggested, 2 monitors is the way to fly. Depending on what you're doing, 3 could be better. It might seem excessive, but once you have all that real estate it's difficult to go back to one screen.

Try a 43" 4K monitor and then see if you still want to go back to dual smaller monitors...

I run 2 screens. A 49” curved on bottom and a 32 on top. The 49 has the equivalent of 2 27” monitors in real estate. Still currently in boxes or I’d show you.

I use a Dell P4317Q, 43 inch display. I have no problem with two or three spreadsheets open. It has the capability of accepting inputs from four different sources and displaying each in a quadrant. It's really an awesome display. It even has a decent pair of speakers, built-in and runs around $850. I highly recommend it. If you need something to manage windows, I recommend my choice, SplitView, by VYOOH, or Fences, by StarDock.

Reactions: W54/XM-388
    I run 2 screens. A 49” curved on bottom and a 32 on top. The 49 has the equivalent of 2 27” monitors in real estate. Still currently in boxes or I’d show you.

I wouldn't sweat that. Now, if your guns, ammo and reloading gear are still boxed up, then we will probably need to have a chat. 😂😂

I use a Dell P4317Q, 43 inch display. I have no problem with two or three spreadsheets open. It has the capability of accepting inputs from four different sources and displaying each in a quadrant. It's really an awesome display. It even has a decent pair of speakers, built-in and runs around $850. I highly recommend it. If you need something to manage windows, I recommend my choice, SplitView, by VYOOH, or Fences, by StarDock.

That's what I run at home and work.

Reactions: BLEE
    I wouldn't sweat that. Now, if your guns, ammo and reloading gear are still boxed up, then we will probably need to have a chat. 😂😂
    Some is and some isn’t. Only been here 10 days so I’m still knee deep in boxes. Gotta get a new safe cause I don’t have one. Used to have a gun room and used gallowtech system. Don’t have that here.

I resisted dual monitors for way too long. Wish I would have done it years ago. Now I would like bigger ones, a third one would even be better.

I have had dual monitors for years. Currently I have 22" dual monitors. Gotta love that extra real-estate.

Thanks!
    I run a laptop with two 24" monitors at work. At home I have a desk top with a 32". If multitasking two or more is the way to go. If just using for basic stuff then a big ass 32" is the way to go. Either way look at Sams club. I bought mine for 180.

When you have to transpose information from multiple windows then have a monitor for each regular used program. You will reduce clicking and will keep your hands busy typing. Navigating between tasks will generate noticeable efficiency.

I use three monitors. A large 4K for editing project plans, spreadsheets, and diagrams. A smaller 4K for video conferencing and reference works, and a 17 inch laptop for email. My ops staff are all issued the same. Standard set up issued to all remaining staff is same less smaller 4K. Beyond this, leaning to use a mouse left handed will speed up your navigation.

You can get a good 4K for under 500.

So I messed around with a 2nd monitor yesterday I forgot was in storage an old little Dell one. Hmmm. Does it help to angle the monitors in a bit so you are not twisting all the time. Ccould be that I'm simply used to being squared up in front of a monitor dead center. Is that the beauty of a curved monitor with eyes? I have atrocious vision.

Actually right now seeing how a monitor above like you do might fix that simply by staying squared up and looking up vs sideways. Hard to imagine I know, but my Rx is so strong I can't look at side of lenses I don't get crisp image....need to center up in middle of lenses. Saw a youtube vid of a guy who tested a monitor angled on desk just in front of keyboard and one above desktop monitor...kind of liked the look down idea of angled desktop. Looking up bothers neck when I'm at someones home who has a wall monuted tv up high.

Last edited:
    I run a MBP with a large external monitor, and use my iPad pro as an external display via Sidecar. The MBP/ipad pro is a great travel setup.

I run a MBP with a large external monitor, and use my iPad pro as an external display via Sidecar. The MBP/ipad pro is a great travel setup.
    Sorry to ask for clarification, but if not already established tech ain't ma thing. Are you saying the ipad can be linked up to my Mac just like a 2nd monitor? So I can move my cursor off my monitor and jump to the ipad? Just a cable to ipad? This might be perfect!

Sure thing. This combined with the mac os multiple desktop features makes the combination very powerful.
    Are there any issues with certain types of files that may/may not run great on an ipad, but run on a mac? I use google chrome/sheets....those run just as well on ipad? Had an ipad when they first came out and I seem to recall certain web pages didn't run so great. Thanks again

Are there any issues with certain types of files that may/may not run great on an ipad, but run on a mac? I use google chrome/sheets....those run just as well on ipad? Had an ipad when they first came out and I seem to recall certain web pages didn't run so great. Thanks again
    I have experienced no issues. It is really just a slave monitor.

I run laptop + 2 24" ultrasharps.
    Old-school and cheap but works.
    The new ultrawides are tempting though.

Whatever you do, get the spectacle app and memorize the keyboard shortcuts so you can move things around quick and easily.

You're in the Tampa area now, aren't you?
    Orlando. We considered somewhere near Tampa but just weren’t familiar enough to make a good decision. I’ll likely be building a home over on the SW side near Disney so I’ll be closer to JTAC. Already contacted regarding membership.

Last edited: