• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Concealed carry for women.

mi223

Minuteman
Feb 14, 2017
West Michigan
My wife went grocery shopping this weekend and had an encounter in the store with a pair of individuals that made her very uneasy. She checked out and seen them in the parking lot. Nothing came from it but she come home and said she is ready to start carrying.

She has had her carry permit for years and is proficient with a pietol but has been uncomfortable with carrying on her person. I have been trying to get her through her discomfort but she hasn't been willing but I think she is ready now.

So I am coming to you guys to see what works for the women in your lives that carry. She don't care for my m&p shield in a iwb holster appendix carry. I am really adamit that she carry on her person vs a purse but anything is better than nothing. We have also looked at the yoga pants designed for everyday carry.

Just curious if anyone else has gone through this with their family member and if they come up with a solution. I am just trying to avoid buying a bunch of equipment that don't work. Because that will make her more hesitant to get any gear that will work.

Thanks guys

So you have to start with thinking this.

is you’re wife comfortable with drawing a firearm and using it to the extent it needs to be used? The last thing you want is for her to draw a firearm and have that same firearm used against her.
Now with that being said, carrying on her person is the best scenario, but may not be ideal in everyone’s life style.

my ex worse blouses with buttons and tank tops almost 6 days a week for work, she had a custom holster that connect to the underside of her bra,funky looking but you’d never tell she had a little Glock 43 right there.

My current girlfriend wants to carry but we Haven’t found the best way to, we’ve been looking into having a thigh holster or belly band made for her.

I’ll have to find it but there is a company that makes specific holsters for women based on how they can/cannot carry.

Hope this helps a little!

Reactions: Remington_Steel
It certainly does help. I have looked at a ton of the women specific carry options I am just trying to figure out what is good gear and what is gimmick gear.

It certainly does help. I have looked at a ton of the women specific carry options I am just trying to figure out what is good gear and what is gimmick gear.
If you can afford it, buy them and try it out! The size and frame of your wife is also a big deal. Buy a few ideas for her, take her to the range and try them all on make a date of it!

I agree, real gun leather is ideal and there are mfg.'s that can custom make stuff or already make stuff that fits a woman's body better. But...

Something is better than nothing. I'm divorced so it's not something I concern myself with anymore by my ex carried and I suppose she still does.

Look at Coronado Leather for the purse option. There are others but they make solid leather that lasts. If she's the type that wants a new purse every week, this won't work. If she's practical, these things last forever and can conceal a DE if you desire (but it'd be heavy). Access can be sped up by unzipping it if worried (if expecting trouble).

She carried/carries a Smith 649, the shrouded hammer model? It's PERFECT. It's a damn hard one to beat for anyone for daily carry really. Same with 640 but I'd shy from the aluminum ti models. They have WAY too much recoil for the type of ammo you should be carrying. She also carried 2 speed loaders, a rechargeable 1000 lumen Surefire (we used the shit out of 'em, it gets dark here at like 4pm on sunny days in winter) and a Gerber Fairbairn folder (mini, a hand me down of mine). Some of you have weaker daily carry setups I'd wager. I think a can of pepper spray may have been in there too.

She worked for a greedbag that didn't mind making up firearms at work policies but also wouldn't provide armed security. She was in a job where she fucked people over for her boss so the upper management didn't have to put up with pissed off peons. You get the idea. There are gonna be confrontations. There were confrontations and threats and one time I got geared up when an illegal alien child fucker/trafficing shoplifting gang got involved but "management couldn't do anything, sorry" --management is just lucky it turned out how it did, period, all I'm saying about that. So these women get threatened and psychologically beaten about policies and losing jobs and shit, that walking into an unsafe working condition appears to be normalized and the only option so not worth fighting it. Can she overcome that? "Fuck the man" and all, carry anyway? Some people can't do it. Or freeze up. Or they just effectively brought a new weapon for their victimizer to use on them.

Anyway, that purse will adequately conceal it. Nobody will be able to tell she's armed. She will have to learn how to carry that purse different though now that it has a firearm in it. Can't just let go for purse grabbers anymore. NOW. If she carries in a purse, I'd highly recommend some kind of rapid deployment retention tool. Easy and FAST. If she gets snatched, she needs to jab that fucker in the bad guy's hand ASAP or through his skull if possible. That needs to be on the belt or where it can be drawn NOW.

Can she function in a highly stressful situation armed? Violence of action? It can't really be taught but it can be "discovered" --you know when that switch gets thrown. Army uses the Bayonet Range for this and it's stupid but it does work.

Not everyone should carry. What will be her "point of no return", the action taken by the bad guy where she pulls the trigger? Willing to train? My wife wasn't but took some instruction --but made damn sure I knew she wasn't happy doing it. Concern here is who gets shot when. Does she shoot too early or too late? Does she get shot due to freezing up? Bringing a weapon to a fight and not willing to employ that weapon or employ it too late usually is lethal.

Sometimes we push things off on our loved ones with the best intentions but it's not always the best idea. But if she's ready and willing, help her out and you got tons of guys on here willing to back you and her up with ideas and experience.

Honestly I think she has the right mindset for carry. She misses very little as far as possible threats and if she had been carrying at the grocery store this weekend I. Think she would have reacted the same as she did. Which was get out and watch her surroundings

It has been a while but she has had pistol training in the past and still shows interest but with kids and everything else she hasn't gotten more training. I think she would take training more serious if she started to carry more.

I recently read an article in the Dillon Press that was written by a firearms trainer. He said you must make a decision to carry all of the time, or carry none of time (keep gun for home use), but NEVER carry some of the time. If you need it, you may not have it that day. I think we can all benefit by more range time, shooting different scenarios and practice, practice. She may become more confident and comfortable with her shooting. She can then decide on what's the best solution to carrying, be it winter or summer months. Good luck.

Reactions: Blutroop
Mine carries a smith j frame 38. She shoots it well and has no problems with operating the gun. She has several semi autos but will carry the j frame. I have noticed that racking the slide for her can be a problem on some of these carry guns. My advice is let her shoot and handle everything you can.

My wife carries a Ruger SP101 in her purse. It is made for cc and sold by Jammin Leather. She knows that in a bad situation that she can shoot through the purse if needed with a revolver, and it shouldn’t jam or fte. I hope it never comes to that, but I feel better knowing that she is willing and prepared if it comes to it. image.jpgimage.jpg

My wife carries a Springfield single stack slim 45 in a Femme Fatal corset style holder.

Not even seasoned le spots it.

Her one complaint is it clanks her gun on the bowling ball.

She decided if going single stack may as well make each hit count.

She also carries 9mm in moonstruck leather purses.
Many people have not found that iether in searches at improperly posted places..

Reactions: 502Chevelle
Do they really need a gun in the kitchen or bedroom? 🤣🤣🤣

Sorry. Not.
Just had to.

Anyway they can figure it out is the best way.

Some ranges/shops do a good job of this kind of class/education that is specific to women.

My wife this moment has a gun in the kitchen and the bedroom.

Lets make this easy there is not bathroom gun unless it is on person.

It will cost a few bucks but how a woman decides what and how to carry is very important to them.

Spend some Christmas cash on a couple of things.

On body carry is the only option. Carrying in the purse or bag is just stupid. women take over a minute to find their damn keys yet think its totally feasible to carry a hand gun in a zip up soft case inside of a purse. Your better off using that gun as extra weight in the purse to hit someone with.

My wife carries a Ruger .380 LCP in a neoprene holster, appendix carry any time she leaves the house. Light and concealable, plus she shoots it well. As a Redhead, part Italian and part Irish, I'm not concerned about her being willing to defend herself.

This may sound crazy, but is she comfortable using firearms at this time? Does she go to the range? I would focus on that first.

What and where a lady can carry really depends on body type and clothing.
if you have a range that rents guns, it’s a great way to see what she can shoot and handle comfortably.

On body carry is the only option. Carrying in the purse or bag is just stupid. women take over a minute to find their damn keys yet think its totally feasible to carry a hand gun in a zip up soft case inside of a purse. Your better off using that gun as extra weight in the purse to hit someone with.

I thought the same thing until my wife took the ccw, I learned a few things from her and other women there. First women(not all but evidently allot) hate things that carry on the body. I agree the carrying inside the purse is useless, so we found a purse she likes with the external gun pocket, it only holds the gun and opens with a leather flap that’s easy to grasp hold of and easy to draw. Ideal no but it works. After handling all guns that I know of she decided on the Kimber micro 9, she hates striker fired guns and no matter how much I explain it won’t go off by itself she wanted a carry weapon with a hammer.

All different mannor of concealment purses with separate gun compartments, no fumbling.

A purse full of gun is better than a safe queen and an unarmed woman.

The important part is to be armed as they pleased.

I suppose next some of you will decide which color of shoes they should wear.

I agree purse isn't ideal but a gun that is carried is better than a gun at home.

I struggled carrying iwb at work do to tools and range of motion. Finally settled on a pocket pistol carried in front pocket.

I won't tell anyone it is the best carry solution but it works best for me. Since then I rarley leave home unarmed.

If she goes with a purse she can carry her full size m&p that she is comfortable with

Reactions: Snuby642
Get a good purse with carry purpose pocket, she should pick it or she may not be happy.

Have her look at the corset style.

See if there are any women's shooting groups around.

Crack your wallet wide and grit your teeth no smile.

Happy wife happy life.

Rebecca has a Michael Kors purse that has a magnetic closed center section and zippered compartments on either side of it.
Inside the center is an L shaped piece of Kydex that has a holster and extra mag slot.
The system is made by Crossbreed.

Screenshot_20201027-171118_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20201027-171111_Chrome.jpg

It's adjustable and IIRC, they have different sizes.

She also has an appendix holster and a hip holster.
She uses whichever suits her clothing for the day.

Inside is a Sig 238.

She carries her purse weak side (she knows it's slower) because she doesn't want to potentially have the issue of drawing and the purse sliding off her shoulder while defending herself.

Reactions: cast1
My wife went grocery shopping this weekend and had an encounter in the store with a pair of individuals that made her very uneasy. She checked out and seen them in the parking lot. Nothing came from it but she come home and said she is ready to start carrying.

She has had her carry permit for years and is proficient with a pietol but has been uncomfortable with carrying on her person. I have been trying to get her through her discomfort but she hasn't been willing but I think she is ready now.

So I am coming to you guys to see what works for the women in your lives that carry. She don't care for my m&p shield in a iwb holster appendix carry. I am really adamit that she carry on her person vs a purse but anything is better than nothing. We have also looked at the yoga pants designed for everyday carry.

Just curious if anyone else has gone through this with their family member and if they come up with a solution. I am just trying to avoid buying a bunch of equipment that don't work. Because that will make her more hesitant to get any gear that will work.

Thanks guys
You are not the only one that's had issues with that male or female.
My wife is a pistol instructor and probably trained a couple thousand.
How to carry was a big segment of classroom time, we have a couple of totes of different holsters, purses, rigs etc.
and as stated in class you might have as much money in those as you do your weapon until you find the right one.
Body size, seasonal clothing, weapon type,job and personal preference are all factors.
When it comes to rangetime we had a large variety of weapons available students were encouraged to not buy a gun until after the class, if they already had one they could bring it for that portion of rangetime.
They got to shoot everything revolvers, semi automatics of all types 22s 38s .357 9s 45s sometimes .44 mags.
By the end of the day most had a good idea what they liked.
My point is I can't bra or panty shop for anyone it has to be their choice, and that may and probably will change.
The weapon choice and method should be theirs.
On a side note my wife and one of her
Co-instructors carry appendix and S&Ws.
But I'm a 1911 kinda guy so what would I know.

Here's where my Wife started.

VooDoo

My wife primarily carries in a purse with a pocket designed for it. The purse also has a cable sewn in the should strap so the strap cannot be cut by a thief. Access is decent, but not as good as appendix carry. She has appendix carried various guns, but most of her clothing does not work well for it, either the shirt does not conceal it or the pants don't take a gun belt. She has also used and liked a shoulder holster, but clothing is again the issue. The belly band never really worked well and did not see much use. For outdoor activities she carries in a Hill People Gear chest pack.

She likes the 40 M&P Shield, which is what she carries now. She liked the S&W Model 340 PD in 357 as well, but preferred a semiauto. She loved shooting the HK P30SK in 40 S&W, but it was too thick to conceal well and too heavy in her purse with a spare magazine. The Kahr CW9 was junk and neither of us could ever trust it, she also had trouble operating the slide consistently.

Personally, I would not get the 340 PD again and would get the cheaper 357 Airweight that has a steel cylinder and is about 2 ounces heavier.

Last edited:
Reactions: Snuby642
I will second the Glock 43. My wife loves it and is very comfortable racking it. She also has two other s&w shields.

She Equips Herself has some great videos on YouTube that your lady may enjoy.

My friend started watching and now has her own SA Hellcat and carries.

She liked the way the gal explains concealed carry from a woman’s perspective.

Your Lady may want to check her channel out.

Reactions: Marbles
I thought the same thing until my wife took the ccw, I learned a few things from her and other women there. First women(not all but evidently allot) hate things that carry on the body. I agree the carrying inside the purse is useless, so we found a purse she likes with the external gun pocket, it only holds the gun and opens with a leather flap that’s easy to grasp hold of and easy to draw. Ideal no but it works. After handling all guns that I know of she decided on the Kimber micro 9, she hates striker fired guns and no matter how much I explain it won’t go off by itself she wanted a carry weapon with a hammer.
This. It’s what my better half uses. Purse is a mess inside, but the cc pocket is clean, instantly accessible and fast. She carries a K-frame .38 loaded with +p hollow points and practices with wadcutters on the range all summer long. She has her own ammo can that I just refill.

Women who like their purses love specialty ccw purses. They work.

Sirhr

Those snubbies are more accurate than most people give them credit for. The sights and human capability are the limiting factor, but the sights on them will allow for solid center mass hits at 25 yards on a man. That is further than most people practice with handguns any more.

Doesn't hurt if you put ct grips on them and a xs site.

Redundant but us old folks will take it.

Reactions: myronman3
i’m not a fan of off the body carry. everyone knows why.

the other thing i’d say is that be prepared to try more than one carry method. odds are, the first couple ways she tries, arent going to be the preferred method. if it aint working, try another way (spend more money).
with the way women dress, it can be challenging to find a method that works. they may have to alter how they dress.

3 + carry purses 3 different bustier holsters and various other conventional holsters that don't see much service.

Once they find a solution that gets used your shopping for gifts just got easier.

It's easy if they like the purses you can never go wrong as long as you save receipts.

Merry Christmas to all

My wife carries and loves her Sig P365. She carries it at 4 o'clock in a custom iwb holster and she also has one of those concealed carry purses. I try to keep her from purse carry as drawing is a labor intensive proposition even in a purse designed for it.