• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Concealed Carry....?

joelsa58

Private
Minuteman
Dec 3, 2009
ft. bragg, nc
My wife and I were planning on getting concealed carry permits.
Once she read the list of all the prohibited places to carry, she didn't see the point.
In NC open carry is legal, and which is perfectly fine in a vehicle but alittle conspicuous anywhere else.

Here is the list of prohibited places.

<span style="color: #FF0000">Educational property, public or private, of any kind

Any establishment where alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed

Any assembly where admission is charged

State property and courthouses

Parades

Picket lines

Demonstrations at private health care facilities or any public place controlled or owned by the state or local government

Funeral processions

Any federal property including building, land, and facilities (generally)

Any property posted by the owner prohibiting concealed handguns

Any property posted by the owner prohibiting firearms

Any law enforcement or correctional facility

State or federal offices or office buildings

Any financial institution

Anywhere while consuming alcohol, or at anytime while any alcohol or controlled substance is in the blood, including improper use of prescription drugs

Anywhere off your own premises, unless also carrying CCHP and valid ID

Anywhere off your own premises while under seclared State of Emergency or in vicinity of a riot</span>

Aside from having unlimited handgun buying priveledges.

What are some good reasons to have a CCP?

Re: Concealed Carry....?

"Anywhere off your own premises while under seclared State of Emergency or in vicinity of a riot"

Seems like the time you would want a gun.

You can have a defensive weapon most of the time, or not at all. The choice seems simple to me

Just remember...it's only illegal if you caught! LOL! Seriously, I bet all of the criminals out there abide by these laws...so should we.

No waiting on firearm purchases is a plus...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DavidK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can have a defensive weapon most of the time, or not at all. The choice seems simple to me </div></div>

Amen brother.

Looks like you need to talk to your congressfolks there in NC about rights and all.....

I'll share how we do it here in the west-Tiger Woods didn't like that people carried guns in Phoenix a few years back and made a big stink at the Phoenix Open (or whatever sponsorhip minniker it has now). Enough of a stink that guns got prohibited there (both legal carry and CCW).
Now the voting population of AZ got together and caused a bitch back and guess what, nowdays here in AZ if you want to have a big public gathering and say "no guns allowed" that's OK........BUT you have to provide a secure storage facility where I can check my pistol and when I want to leave you have to IMMEDIATELY get it for me!

Hell, we recently got national attention by proclaiming that if someone's not drinking, they can even carry concealed in bars legally. If the owner doesn't want that, that's OK and he can post a sign right next to his liquor license inside ("NO GUNS" on the door isn't legal signage), and I'm perfectly legal walking through his establishment with my concealded pistol to where his sign is posted to check top see if he has a sign
wink.gif

Talk to your representatives and remind them that they are representing you.

We're working on a constitutional carry law.

I'd ask what is the source of this list? I consider North Carolina one of the free states and wonder if that list is sloppily compiled and imprecise.

For example, any area of nuisance such as a bar, is commonly a prohibited zone, yet a resturant with a bar is not prohibited to CCW holders if tey are there to eat.

The ladeling of prohibitions listed above does seem oppressive but in many cases it is merely trespassing to violate the posted signage at a non government facility.

What is one to do when dropping the kids off at school while on the way to work? Where prohibitions of weapons on other premises, even the option of being left in the car while on said premises, how can the CCW holder reasonably comply while still being able to avail himself of his rights?

The practicalities of these rules, often dreamed up by prohibitionists and journalist activists, are seldom considered. While no one wants to be a test case to explore the seriousness of the enforcement of these state and federal restrictions, the nature of "concealment" goes a long way toward preventing the possibility of knowing first hand.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd ask what is the source of this list? I consider North Carolina one of the free states and wonder if that list is sloppily compiled and imprecise.

For example, any area of nuisance such as a bar, is commonly a prohibited zone, yet a resturant with a bar is not prohibited to CCW holders if tey are there to eat.

The ladeling of prohibitions listed above does seem oppressive but in many cases it is merely trespassing to violate the posted signage at a non government facility.

What is one to do when dropping the kids off at school while on the way to work? Where prohibitions of weapons on other premises, even the option of being left in the car while on said premises, how can the CCW holder reasonably comply while still being able to avail himself of his rights?

The practicalities of these rules, often dreamed up by prohibitionists and journalist activists, are seldom considered. While no one wants to be a test case to explore the seriousness of the enforcement of these state and federal restrictions, the nature of "concealment" goes a long way toward preventing the possibility of knowing first hand. </div></div>

His list is accurate and the source is NC General Statutes. Restaurants are not excepted if they serve alcohol, not matter why you are there.

ETA: NC Sucks. Gun laws here make no sense at all. In NC, only criminals have guns when/where they need them.

Wow, I am often reminded of how good Missouri's CCW law is.

We have the usual list of prohibited places (not as extensive as NC) but, our Statute says that you are not supposed to carry there, but it is not criminal to do so...

I think most states determine the locations you would most likely need a handgun and prohibit carry there.

I'd say that anywhere there <span style="font-style: italic">isn't</span> a sign prohibiting carrying, I would carry. I'd have to think long and hard before not carrying into some places anyway (courthouses and government buildings excluded). I'm not saying that it's okay to break the law, but some of that seems unconstitutional and if you feel like being a guinea pig for precedents, have at it. When I carry in KY (where we apparently have much nicer laws), I'm legal all the time. I know where I can, where I can't, and what establishments have the right to tell me I can't carry. Everywhere else I'd go armed.

So, my reasons for getting the CCL would be the legal option to carry concealed to the non-exclusive places and better ease of gun buying. It would be worth it to me if I lived in NC.

Well the right choice seems obvious to me.
Better to be tried by 12 then carried by 6.

I'd sure feel like a dumbass if, I found myself in a position where I need a gun and didn't have one.

If I'm out of state (and in one that recognizes NC CCP), then I don't have to worry about being hassled for have it in my vehicle or on me for that matter.

If you do it right, no one knows you are packing until you are shooting at them. At that point the misdemeanor you may or may not be charged with seems unimportant. One of the things I tell my FTO's is do what you have to do to get home. Nothing else matters. You can survive prison if you have to but dead is dead.
Patrick

This is not uncommon for states who pass "shall issue" laws when they are first passed. The NRA has a fairly well regimented lobbying effort ongoing in states that have no concealed carry laws, and in states that have passed them. In states without, they are pushing to pass them. In states with CCW, they are pushing to remove restrictions on where they can be carried.

I would not let the list deter me from getting the permit as the list will most certainly be pared down as time passes.