• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Concensus on dies for a 338 Lapua Magnum?

bruddah

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 9, 2010
Oregon
What does everyone recommend and why?

I looked at the price of some (it was kind of hard to swallow) o_O

Ultimately, I am looking to load the most consistent ammo with the least amount of run-out.

Thanks in advance!

RCBS standard die set, full length sizing die and seat die; also a form
and trim die. I also just bought an inside-neck ream die and use modified
#14 shell holder. I use all RCBS; I think it's important not to mix different
companies dies / shell holders.

Honestly if the price of dies is hard to swallow, 338LM may not be the best cartridge choice for you
+1, wait until you see the prices for brass, bullets, and the amount of powder you will be using.

I'm using Forster Full Length Sizer and Micrometer Seating dies. Will look at having Whidden make a custom die to match my fired brass as full length sizing is going to overwork the brass.

Last edited:
What does everyone recommend and why?

I looked at the price of some (it was kind of hard to swallow) o_O

Ultimately, I am looking to load the most consistent ammo with the least amount of run-out.

Thanks in advance!

Bruddah,

You have chosen a 338 LM (aka $5.00 Chamber). If you are looking for best quality reloads then, Buy Once - Cry Once and move on.

I started with RCBS and since went with REDDING COMPETITION for all my calibers so I have already spent more than I should have. Now my RCBS dies are heavy paper weights.

Just my two cents coming from owning same rig, caliber and buying same components TWICE cause first was not sufficient...

+1, wait until you see the prices for brass, bullets, and the amount of powder you will be using.

I'm using Forster Full Length Sizer and Micrometer Seating dies. Will look at having Whidden make a custom die to match my fired brass as full length sizing is going to overwork the brass.

I see your +1 with a +1

Bruddah,

I have over $1.2K in Lapua brass alone between my two 338 LM's (each has its own brass as I do not intermingle). That does not include ANY of the other components.

I look at it this way. I purchase in bulk so I am set for a long time. My 338 LM reloads are about $0.95 each not including brass. If I manage ten reloads then each trigger pull will be approximately, $1.20 each. Going back to I purchase in bulk - Buy Once Cry Once. For my custom .338 LM I have close to if not more 2K trigger pull reloads available based on my purchased components. I am in it for the long haul. I am sure I will need to purchase brass before all current components are gone.

BTW:
Following has best Lapua brass for 338 LM that I have seen & In-Stock
>>> Lapua 338 Magnum brass, unprimed, new, 100/box <<<

If I have not shared with you in prior post already:

My Savage 338 LM:
300 SMK
89.3 Retumbo
Lapua Brass
CCI 250
BANG your DONE!!!

Also, remember, barrel life on 338 LM is not high at all. Good thing is Savage charges about $400 plus to replace your barrel. That dollar amount was as of last two months when I called them.

I've already reviewed those prices. :)
I know it's an expensive cartridge.

Bruddah,

You have chosen a 338 LM (aka $5.00 Chamber). If you are looking for best quality reloads then, Buy Once - Cry Once and move on.

I started with RCBS and since went with REDDING COMPETITION for all my calibers so I have already spent more than I should have. Now my RCBS dies are heavy paper weights.

Just my two cents coming from owning same rig, caliber and buying same components TWICE cause first was not sufficient...

Redding competition die setAnything else will not do the caliber justice

I'm seeing a pattern here lol

I see your +1 with a +1

Bruddah,

I have over $1.2K in Lapua brass alone between my two 338 LM's (each has its own brass as I do not intermingle). That does not include ANY of the other components.

I look at it this way. I purchase in bulk so I am set for a long time. My 338 LM reloads are about $0.95 each not including brass. If I manage ten reloads then each trigger pull will be approximately, $1.20 each. Going back to I purchase in bulk - Buy Once Cry Once. For my custom .338 LM I have close to if not more 2K trigger pull reloads available based on my purchased components. I am in it for the long haul. I am sure I will need to purchase brass before all current components are gone.

BTW:
Following has best Lapua brass for 338 LM that I have seen & In-Stock
>>> Lapua 338 Magnum brass, unprimed, new, 100/box <<<

If I have not shared with you in prior post already:

My Savage 338 LM:
300 SMK
89.3 Retumbo
Lapua Brass
CCI 250
BANG your DONE!!!

Also, remember, barrel life on 338 LM is not high at all. Good thing is Savage charges about $400 plus to replace your barrel. That dollar amount was as of last two months when I called them.

Thanks for the info! you've been of great help on this subject.

Thanks for the info! you've been of great help on this subject.

Bruddah,

I am here for same reason as YOU. To obtain information from those who DO and have DONE what I want to get into.

Anytime Bruddah!!!

Safe shooting as always...