• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Concerned about my 6.5 creedmoor reload

Kaveman44

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2019
I shot my Seekins Sp10 in6.5 Creedmoor with a 24 inch barrel this weekend and I’m wondering if I did something wrong. My load was 140 grain ELDM with 44 grains of 6.5 staball, it averages with 10 shots at 2681 FPS .

My concern is I also shot my rock River 308 with a 20 inch barrel, my load was 168 grain ELD-M with 44 grains N540, and it averages 2625 FPS.

I would think with 4 inches longer of barrel and 28 grains less of bullet, it would’ve been faster than about 50 feet a second, I guess I need to see what people are getting with their 65 Creedmoor with something around my load.

Let me know if I’m just thinking about this to much , thanks Jmy

You're 6.5CM MV seems pretty normal to me. Your 308 MV I don't know much about since I'm not so familiar with that cartridge.

I don't think it's good or accepted practice to compare the speeds of one gun, in one cartridge, to another gun in a completely different cartridge.

There's way too much at play: bore size, projectile weight/shape/construction, powder, primer, chambering, etc etc etc.

So part of my concerns are I am seeing people with the same cartridge with the same length barrel, with less powder, getting in the high 2700s to the low 2800s

So part of my concerns are I am seeing people with the same cartridge with the same length barrel, with less powder, getting in the high 2700s to the low 2800s
Don’t concern yourself with it. People also lie all the time. I’m running my 20” in the mid 2500s, if I get into the 2600s I get pressure signs.

Shoot it where it’s most accurate.

edit: That’s not to say they aren’t actually doing it and doing so without adverse consequences. Just remember that your rifle is your rifle and it will do what it wants to do so don’t go chasing someone else, the grass isn’t always greener. Also remember that you’re shooting a gasser, you don’t want to get into 70k psi.

Last edited:
So what you’re saying is don’t Believe everything you read on the Internet, should’ve realize that! thanks guys!

Like others have said, you can't really compare it that way, just too many different variables involved. My 308 ran a 175smk at 2750 I think with a 21" barrel and 43.7 gr of tac.

I have the load but didn't right down the speed in my load book for that one but I think that's right. For that one I was using imr4064 but got pressure with less speed and just couldn't get it right and switches to tac which worked great.

If It’s shooting good be happy!
It’s a gasser so trying to Keep up with the Jones’s ( bolt guns) is silly anyways.

Also remember that more bullet diameter is a advantage as far as speed for the same amount of gas and bullet weight.

I shot my Seekins Sp10 in6.5 Creedmoor with a 24 inch barrel this weekend and I’m wondering if I did something wrong. My load was 140 grain ELDM with 44 grains of 6.5 staball, it averages with 10 shots at 2681 FPS .

My concern is I also shot my rock River 308 with a 20 inch barrel, my load was 168 grain ELD-M with 44 grains N540, and it averages 2625 FPS.

I would think with 4 inches longer of barrel and 28 grains less of bullet, it would’ve been faster than about 50 feet a second, I guess I need to see what people are getting with their 65 Creedmoor with something around my load.

Let me know if I’m just thinking about this to much , thanks Jmy
My issue is different on my 6.5-CM, in that I'm getting pressure signs at fairly low velocities (high 2500's to low 2600's). Next tests involve using my new mandrel set from Short Action Customs to open the neck a bit and get a lower neck tension. That said ... comparing apples to oranges (different rifles and calibers) has little value IMHO. What you seek is low SD's, low ES's, tight groups, and supersonic bullets through your selected target distance. If that happens at a lower velocity and pressure ... then that will only serve to prolong the life of your barrel.