• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Condition of AR

jericho

Private
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2009
ct
Hi all. In a few months,once the cash is there,I am looking to buy my first AR.My question is this...When I go into a dealer or where ever...what must I look for on or in the gun to judge its condition or what tell tale signs will let me know there are problems? In terms of scuffing or loosenes in parts? I am only a civilian with a fledgling interest in firearms and bows(so more specifically an interest in projectiles).

Re: Condition of AR

The first major thing I look at is the barrel. I bring a bore light and look at the rifling and condition of the barrel. I want to see sharp clearly defined rifling grooves and I want to see no pitting! This is what really makes or breaks the accuracy of the rifle, so it is obviously where you want to start.

I also give the other internal and external components a visual inspection. I dont want to see any rust or pitting on any of the metal parts. The bolt carrier group is certainly included in this inspection.

Look at the manufacturer too. There is a lot of JUNK AR's on the market today. Go with Colt, Bushmaster, Rock River Arms, POF or LWRC. Those are the ones off the top of my head, but there are a few others out there that put out a quality product.

My two cents.

Thanks for the advice. What are the S&W ar's like? I ask 'cause the factory is 10min drive from here.I did a search and no specific opinions.

S&W ARs are fine. The things that Bernard talked about above are things to look for in used guns. You did not say that you were looking at used guns, but if you are those are good things to look at.

However, if you are looking for a new rifle, then I think it's more important to decide what you want out of it. Will you be going into combat, or breaking down doors and running in? Will you be shooting in National Matches? Will you be hunting with it, will it have optics? Or do you just want something to plink with?

tell us more about what you want to do with it and we can better help you.

Sorry. I am open to both new and used.My initial question was more about used. I see you can get a decent deal on used with bits and bobs on as opposed to new.i was more just curios about the S&W's.I would only use it for recreational purposes.Realistically I would look into to match shooting before hunting. The amount of hunting I would ever get done wouldn't justify building around that alone.I am a total ballistics virgin. Only just getting into firearms and bows in last few months. i am still not sure which will be more practical to get first,a bolt or AR rifle,in terms of the ranges around here and the initial and running costs involved. I know they are two totally different creatures but I would love to end up with both one day (in next 2 years) and reloading is something that has really perked my interest.Thanks again for your patience with the newbie.

As far as judging condition of a used AR, I find examining the wear on the bolt carrier group to be more helpfull than looking at the bore, with a chromed chamber and bore it would take a ton of shooting to show much wear.

If the shop will allow it, remove the handguards ( standard handguards, not a free float tube ) to make sure the gas tube is not bent, lose, etc. If it has a brake or flash suppressor installed it will be tough to look at the crown for wear. Check the bolt face for pitting, the tightness of the gas key on the carrier. If a colapsible stock is installed, check the castle nut for tightness.

Good luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: godsmack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As far as judging condition of a used AR, I find examining the wear on the bolt carrier group to be more helpfull than looking at the bore, with a chromed chamber and bore it would take a ton of shooting to show much wear.

If the shop will allow it, remove the handguards ( standard handguards, not a free float tube ) to make sure the gas tube is not bent, lose, etc. If it has a brake or flash suppressor installed it will be tough to look at the crown for wear. Check the bolt face for pitting, the tightness of the gas key on the carrier. If a colapsible stock is installed, check the castle nut for tightness.

Good luck </div></div>

+1
Cycle it slowly as well and check to see that there isn't any binding(like if the gas tube was bent)

My ar15 has a super sloppy carrier to upper reciever fit yet it proves to be a sub MOA rifle to at least 600 yrds.My gas tube is quite sloppy as well but my rifle has no reliability issues.
The one thing about an ar15 thats great is repairing is easy for the most part.Replacing the upper assembly springs is the 1st thing you want to do when getting a mystery rifle...That and check the gas rings.
At least have them on standbye for upper assembly(Extractor spring,ejector spring,buffer spring,EXTRA extractor,cam pin,holding pins and gas rings)Ohh and firing pin just in case.
The bolt extended should hold the weight of the carrier if placed upright on a flat table.If the carrier slides down check the gasrings.
I have everything for my ar15 except an extra bolt( working on it
smile.gif
).

If you get an extra spring set and willing to replace them,,,I wouldn't hesitate to buy Any ar15 as long as the price for the condition was right.
So far in 1000's of rounds an extractor spring recently $hit the bed on me..Thats it

The bolt face condition can be evaluated for wear and/or primer leakage (hot loads).

Other checks include inspecting the lower for excess wear at the pivot pin hole, takedown pin hole and the fire control pin bores.

The mag well finish will show visible wear on a well used rifle.

The lower is the heart of the rifle and the serial numbered part, everything else is drop-in/bolt-on parts.

It's really easy building your own ar15. You can probably learn a lot from that than just buying a factory new AR15. You can also find better deals and build it for much less, to your liking.