• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Conditioning or hardening primer pockets

L2bravo

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 19, 2012
Republic of Texas.
I cannot remember where it was I saw, but I remember seeing something about a bench shooter talking about shooting a mild load out of his brass on the first go, making it basically work harden the primer pocket without blowing it. I seem to remember reading about him getting 20+ loads out of brass. Does anybody remember this or have seen this article?

So,
I watched this diatribe. Nowhere was there ever mentioned hardness as measured in ANY scale of the lower section of the brass used. Not any tracking of a hardness value after any number of firings. Not a hint about a actual amount of expansion/contraction at any pressure value. WTF: is this guy a medium of sorts?.
Brass only gains hardness from work hardening. Roll it, compress it in some manor, move its size.
simple fact: don,t over pressure and your quality brass will last a long time.
overload once and kiss it good by.
Ask yourself why small primer 308 brass was reintroduced via request by Palma shooters some 10 years ago. Cause it withstands an additional 3500 psi.
Should anyone be curious enough to want to know, send me a few pieces and I will run a hardness test in both B scale Rockwell and Brinell.
ALAN

So,
I watched this diatribe. Nowhere was there ever mentioned hardness as measured in ANY scale of the lower section of the brass used. Not any tracking of a hardness value after any number of firings. Not a hint about a actual amount of expansion/contraction at any pressure value. WTF: is this guy a medium of sorts?.
Brass only gains hardness from work hardening. Roll it, compress it in some manor, move its size.

simple fact: don,t over pressure and your quality brass will last a long time.
overload once and kiss it good by.
Ask yourself why small primer 308 brass was reintroduced via request by Palma shooters some 10 years ago. Cause it withstands an additional 3500 psi.

Should anyone be curious enough to want to know, send me a few pieces and I will run a hardness test in both B scale Rockwell and Brinell.
ALAN
A lot of that on the net. Sounds like you understand proper testing protocols and analysis. I’d be interested in what you come up with.