• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cone drilling for 338 Lapua and 308

[email protected]

Private
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2017
I’m thinking of buying a suppressor and wanted to get the cones drilled out for 338 lapua and 308 so I can move it to multiple rifles.
338 diameter is .339, 308 is 308 of course
what should I have the cones drilled to for the 338 and would it work for the 308 as well ?
or should I have 2 sets of cones one for each caliber?

thanks

• Haha
Reactions: powdahound76
Looks like to be safe it should be .402, I will check with the vendor and see if that is what they build to
Not trying to be a dick.......

If you purchase a can in /338 caliber, the manufacturer will insure that the bore diameter through the baffles is proper for that caliber. It's not something you need to worry about. I have numerous .308 cans and I have no idea (nor do I care) what the bore diameter(s) is.

Now, if you're simply curious, please proceed.

So reading between the lines you have a can for a smaller caliber you want to drill out for a larger caliber?

Reactions: DIBBS
I’m thinking of buying a suppressor and wanted to get the cones drilled out for 338 lapua and 308 so I can move it to multiple rifles.
338 diameter is .339, 308 is 308 of course
what should I have the cones drilled to for the 338 and would it work for the 308 as well ?
or should I have 2 sets of cones one for each caliber?

thanks
Pretty sure you can’t do that as it is modifying the original as it shipped from the manufacturer.

Unless your just form one building a can from a solvent trap which I thought the aft put a dick smashing too?

Either way, just buy the larger caliber and shoot multi rifles

You cannot have suppressor parts alone, a set of baffles is itself a suppressor as per ATF regulations, like it or not. You cannot just swap baffle stacks. Most rifle cans are sealed in any event. Buy a .338 can and the mounts for each rifle, you can always shoot smaller calibers, so long as a mount is available in the thread pattern you have.

You'd think that of all people, a glowie would know what the "cone hole size for a 338" would be............... :rolleyes:
That would turn into "Corn Hole Size" after the Feds come in, shoot your dog and clap you in irons for "Constructive Intent" and you not having a proper Tax Stamp. Drop us a line from the federal lock up where Epstein Didn't Hang Himself.

Looks like to be safe it should be .402, I will check with the vendor and see if that is what they build to

Why are you even concerned with what it actually should be?

Buy your suppressor for a .338 caliber from a reputable manufacturer. They know what it should be and they don't need you to double check their work.

• Haha
Reactions: Threadcutter308
As others mentioned tho there are other aspects to suppressor design other than cone size. A 308 can drilled out will probably not have a big enough blast chamber to accommodate the gas generated from a 338. There's technically nothing illegal about drilling it out but i doubt it will be as effective as you hoped

As others mentioned tho there are other aspects to suppressor design other than cone size. A 308 can drilled out will probably not have a big enough blast chamber to accommodate the gas generated from a 338. There's technically nothing illegal about drilling it out but i doubt it will be as effective as you hoped

Uh, no. It is definitely illegal to "drill it out" for a larger caliber. The caliber marked on the F1 or F4 is the maximum caliber, period. What the OP is asking for is completely illegal to do on his own, and not something any reputable manufacturer would do either.

Uh, no. It is definitely illegal to "drill it out" for a larger caliber. The caliber marked on the F1 or F4 is the maximum caliber, period. What the OP is asking for is completely illegal to do on his own, and not something any reputable manufacturer would do either.
No it isnt. As long as the caliber its marked for can pass through the bore its legal. You can be larger not smaller. This has all been hashed out when form1s were the big thing.

No it isnt. As long as the caliber its marked for can pass through the bore its legal. You can be larger not smaller. This has all been hashed out when form1s were the big thing.
This is wrong. Clearance for the marked caliber is one thing. But you can NOT legally increase the caliber of the suppressor.

You’re giving bad advice that can land someone in hot water.

This is wrong. Clearance for the marked caliber is one thing. But you can NOT legally increase the caliber of the suppressor.

You’re giving bad advice that can land someone in hot water.
What’s the tolerance on clearance? I’ve never seen a hard number as a maximum (e.g. 30 thousandths) which leads me to believe that’s a distinction without a difference.

That said, boring out a 30 cal can to 338 is just going to make a crappier 30 cal can unless you have a really big 30 cal can (like a sandman L). It’s going to be louder than it was with 30 and loud as hell with a 338.

You are wrong
Q5:May a repair change the dimensions or caliber of a silencer?

A: If alterations to a silencer would increase the overall length or change the diameter or caliber of a silencer, this is the making of a new silencer, as opposed to a repair. The new silencer must be registered and transferred in accordance with the NFA and the GCA.

In the event that identical replacement parts for a silencer are not available, new and different component parts may be used as long as the silencer retains the same dimensions and caliber.

A: If alterations to a silencer would increase the overall length or change the diameter or caliber of a silencer, this is the making of a new silencer, as opposed to a repair. The new silencer must be registered and transferred in accordance with the NFA and the GCA.

In the event that identical replacement parts for a silencer are not available, new and different component parts may be used as long as the silencer retains the same dimensions and caliber.
Good Gawd, Thank You !

IMG_0263.gif

I've seen multiple clarification emails from atf stating as long as the marked caliber can pass through the bore it's legal. That also dealt with making of a form1.

What’s the tolerance on clearance? I’ve never seen a hard number as a maximum (e.g. 30 thousandths) which leads me to believe that’s a distinction without a difference.

That said, boring out a 30 cal can to 338 is just going to make a crappier 30 cal can unless you have a really big 30 cal can (like a sandman L). It’s going to be louder than it was with 30 and loud as hell with a 338.
Could it also lead to premature failure?

Reactions: themightytimmah
Search the fb form1 group they should still be there. Used to be a great group until the atf shut down the most of the f1 industry

Don't put so much faith in the Form 1 groups. There are a few like myself who build their stuff from bar stock in a machine shop and are interested in doing it right, but the large majority are the goofball prepper "solvent trap" people. Those people believe some of the weirdest and dumbest crap you'll ever here - right in there with "flat earth" and "chemtrails", etc; be careful what you believe from those groups.

The info @roostercogburn98 shared above is what I've been referring too; this has been well known for many years, at least in the more knowledgeable suppressor groups.

Don't put so much faith in the Form 1 groups. There are a few like myself who build their stuff from bar stock in a machine shop and are interested in doing it right, but the large majority are the goofball prepper "solvent trap" people. Those people believe some of the weirdest and dumbest crap you'll ever here - right in there with "flat earth" and "chemtrails", etc; be careful what you believe from those groups.

The info @roostercogburn98 shared above is what I've been referring too; this has been well known for many years, at least in the more knowledgeable suppressor groups.
That group was pretty legit. You always have idiots but the main core were sots doing pretty extensive testing. I learned a lot made a few from scratch that turned out good. My second build is still the quietest .30 can I have. I get what you're saying tho.

Reactions: Yondering
As usual great info and discussion
I decided to go the easy way and ordered from silencer central, they handle all the paperwork and make sure it’s all legal

Reactions: Im2bent