• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Confusing .204 ruger problems

Django06

Private
Minuteman
May 2, 2007
Ft. Worth, TX
I have a brand new DPMS .204 ruger and I am having some major problems at the range.

after getting the scope mounted, I took it to the range to do some informal adjustments. Just enough to hit coyotes and such at 100-200 yards.

I couldn't hit paper at 100 yards, so I moved closer. I still couldn't hit paper at 50 yards, so I moved closer. At 25 yards I finally was on paper, but it wasn't too far from the center of the target which I found odd. After moving back out to 50 then 100 yards, I had it sighted in I thought but the groups were slightly worse than embarrassing.

The next weekend I took it out to the range again and I was having the same damn problem. I had the people there re-bore sight it just in case and still couldn't get a good group out of it.

At first I thought it was because it was a new rifle and had to be broken in, but even after the 200 rounds that DPMS recommended it still shot like crap.

After a thorough cleaning and some different bullet weights, I went back to the range. With the heaviest bullets Hornady makes for the .204 I finally was hitting paper, but the bullets were impacting SIDEWAYS. I think that the lighter bullets were just spinning off sideways and completely missing the target, but the heavier ones had enough weight to still fly straight enough to cut paper.

I know thats not right and I need some help.

Here is a picture of the offender:
DCTCA033.jpg

Re: Confusing .204 ruger problems

Seriously, though. 24" fluted bull barrel and a 14 power scope should be making one little hole, not a random handful of sideways holes.

Sorry, but I don't have any targets to post. I can draw a recreation if that would help.

What .204 bullets were you shooting?

I had a pencil thin Rem .204 that wouldn't shoot the 40g Vmax. They would key hole.

I have the same upper as you, everything stabilizes out of it fine. 39g Blitzkings gave me the best accuracy.

I was shooting every size that hornady made. 32 gr. 34gr. and 40gr. All in v-max and not one of them worked. The 40 gr. would key hole down and right every time, probably because of the barrel twist, but would still be a pretty good group. Like a 1.5 and 2 inch group of sideways bullets.

Everything else would just splatter randomly across the target.

Splatter as in the bullets coming apart or the bullets just hitting everywhere on the target?

I'd be contacting DPMS about the situation. Hopefully they'll make it right.

splatter as in hitting all over the target. I've started to get in contact with DPMS and waiting for a reply.

Are you sure the barrel nut is tight, (but that doesn't explain the key holeing). I had this same upper and it shot the hornady rounds just fine. Definatly no key holeing.

Pat

The DPMS has a 1-12 twist the same twist as my Savage 12FV. It should be able to stabilize anything from the 32gr - 40gr, and shoot them well. Most .204 rugers are very accurate. I would say it is a problem with the rifle. Call DPMS. My .204 shoots well with the Sierra, Hornady, and Berger. It prefers the 40gr bullets over the 32gr though.