• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Considerations When Buying Land for LR and ELR

lomarx

Private
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2021
Arizona
Question for you guys. I am deciding amongst 2 rural parcels of land in the south for purchase early this year (will make offer on either a 20 acre parcel or a 34 acre parcel) and will devote 20% of the parcel for hunting, LR and ELR.

What considerations should I keep in mind when purchasing land that would for a couple of days a month be used for recreational LR and ELR? (For example what type of neighbors should I watch out for, what type of terrain is best for LR and ELR etc)

I plan to set up steel targets ranging from 200 up to 1500 yards.

Lots that small will need to be long/narrow to have enough room.

Also, better have big berms or be very careful. Small lots = rounds leaving property.

From personal experience id look for land with either hills around it or in a valley of sorts. It may not be the most ideal shooting setup but It helps keep the noise down for your neighbours which will result in less chance of any complaints. that sort of terrain also usually works as a backstop as well. Before I moved to the city a few years back I had a range setup out to a mile with some hills between me and the neighbors and they could barely hear me shoot, even when I would pull out the magnums

Reactions: lomarx
How do you plan to reach 1500 with only 30 acres? Is it a very long, narrow strip of land?
Yep..both are long narrow strips..the 34 acre plot is 1400 meters in length so will be good for 1500 yards the 20 acre plot will have much smaller range

From personal experience id look for land with either hills around it or in a valley of sorts. It may not be the most ideal shooting setup but It helps keep the noise down for your neighbours which will result in less chance of any complaints. that sort of terrain also usually works as a backstop as well. Before I moved to the city a few years back I had a range setup out to a mile with some hills between me and the neighbors and they could barely hear me shoot, even when I would pull out the magnums
Im lucky in that for the 34 acre parcel the only neighbors that would complain would be cows and a few goats so that wont be an issue. But unfortunately the 34 acre parcel is flat as a pancake so not as much available in terms of a natural berm. Why can I ask did you have to move back to the city?

Im lucky in that for the 34 acre parcel the only neighbors that would complain would be cows and a few goats so that wont be an issue. But unfortunately the 34 acre parcel is flat as a pancake so not as much available in terms of a natural berm. Why can I ask did you have to move back to the city?
I moved due to financial reasons, I worked on the oil rigs up here in canada and when oil prices shit the bed I wasnt working steadily enough and I couldn't find work anywhere nearby that payed enough to take care of my family. Im hoping to be out of the city again for good by next fall but who knows what could happen between then and now lol

Don't miss a chance, I found a place which was very isolated from other dwellings and would have had a 1 mile shot onto a natural berm, the owner withdrew it from sale while I was chasing finance.

You are are definitely pushing it area wise for LR, I assume there are no dwellings anywhere near it?

Last edited:
Another thing to consider is what compass direction the range would face. Ideally, you want to be facing North or you will have the sun in your face and dark targets for some part of the day.

Please check with state and local laws pertaining to discharge of fire arms and acres needed distance/ from structures. Example, if 250ft from building is required and your neighbors building is only 200ft away (narrow property) you may have problem. Best to check first.

Reactions: RTH1800
Question for you guys. I am deciding amongst 2 rural parcels of land in the south for purchase early this year (will make offer on either a 20 acre parcel or a 34 acre parcel) and will devote 20% of the parcel for hunting, LR and ELR.

What considerations should I keep in mind when purchasing land that would for a couple of days a month be used for recreational LR and ELR? (For example what type of neighbors should I watch out for, what type of terrain is best for LR and ELR etc)

I've got 25 acres my self and my tract is long rectangular, and my longest stretch even on a diagonal isn't 1000 yards. Better confirm the property dimensions before you buy.

I'd sure think that some info got crossed somewhere..... but if my math is right (and it may not be)...

If you can shoot 1400 meters then the property is roughly 4,600 feet long. A acre is 43560sqft.,, so 34 acres is 1,481,000sqft. In that case the property would only be 322 feet wide. 322x4600 would be very uncommon.... and if that is the actual dimensions then that would come with its own set of issues.

It could be very difficult to build on (if you wanted to).... no matter where you go you are close to a neighbor. And it would take a shitload of fence for what you are actually getting.

Facing north is good, south is fine, east is alright if you don't shoot mornings or west of you don't shoot evenings. Shooting into the sun just sucks. Good dirt back drop such as a burm or a hill. Best would be a looooooooooong slope. Tree's will suffice, but not optimal, as you don't want to hit your trees. Killing money sucks.

Me, I have a distance of 400 yards facing south into my tree line. I wish I had a good back drop of dirt. Killed a nice maple last year. I can get 700 yards if I clear enough to the state wood line. That is on a "normal" shaped 47 acres in the shape of a rectangle.

So to get your 1500 yards, you are going to need to triple your acreage.

South facing ranges in the northern latitudes above the tropics suck ass. The sun is in your face (or nearly so) almost all day. I gave up membership at a club for that reason alone.

Find a parcel of land that was used as a quarry of some sort, often times a quarry will have multiple back stops and high walls. Obviously the land your shooting from needs to be laid out accordingly to work with it.

Please check with state and local laws pertaining to discharge of fire arms and acres needed distance/ from structures. Example, if 250ft from building is required and your neighbors building is only 200ft away (narrow property) you may have problem. Best to check first.
oldie..yes that was a key consideration for me with both of these parcels and a parcel I was reviewing up in rural eastern Oregon. All 3 have no human neighbor or structure within 1.5 miles of the parcels and the two in the southeast only back up to timberland and range pasture for cows.

The only neighbors are cows, goats and other critters. No human critters close by.
Another thing to consider is what compass direction the range would face. Ideally, you want to be facing North or you will have the sun in your face and dark targets for some part of the day.
I did not think about that..this is a great tip

Last edited:
Spent the last few years looking for land where I could stretch out my rifles and finally found what I was looking for end of last year.

My requirements were Good Natural Berm, backing to Open Space/BLM and No HOA.

Did not want to settle or compromise. Glad I waited as I finally found a 60 acre lot which backs to 20K acres BLM with mountain backstop.

1616037484863.jpeg

Spent the last few years looking for land where I could stretch out my rifles and finally found what I was looking for end of last year.

My requirements were Good Natural Berm, backing to Open Space/BLM and No HOA.

Did not want to settle or compromise. Glad I waited as I finally found a 60 acre lot which backs to 20K acres BLM with mountain backstop.

View attachment 7584293
What part of the country is this?

Im actually looking for something like above. bordering properties being the biggest factor. Best would be BLM because you can use that. or Nat park type Gov properties not being used for recreation. Next bordering large lots of inacessable rugged unusable property. lastly bordering large commercial or farm land. Far away from any homes or roads and Out of any city limits.

Last edited:

Make shure you arnt sending the odd bullet in to neighors cattle. Things will get a little sporty with the neighbors and expensive. Better to buy a beef because you want to, not because you have to.

I feel lucky to live in Az. Only 17% of the land is privately owned. Lots of opportunities for long range shooting here.

I think there was a Supreme Court case last year upholding the right to shoot on private property as long as it isn’t preempted by local ordinances.

this, and make sure you completely understand any deed restrictions, including homeowner assoc etc. just because you have cows next door now doesn't mean you won't have houses there in 5 years. where i live now it's 100yds and the county/state surely can change their mind and make it 500 yds, so make sure you have ample buffer.

I've been looking for land within 2 hours of DFW and it's tough going. Lots to consider, but IMO 20 -40 acres is never going to cut it. 100 + would handle 1500 yards if the right shaped patch.
(100 is a pretty narrow plot to get u out to 1500)

Reactions: Navy Gunner
What part of the country is this?

Im actually looking for something like above. bordering properties being the biggest factor. Best would be BLM because you can use that. or Nat park type Gov properties not being used for recreation. Next bordering large lots of inacessable rugged unusable property. lastly bordering large commercial or farm land. Far away from any homes or roads and Out of any city limits.
Park County Colorado

Reactions: 2aBaC̶a̶