• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Considering a diesel truck...advice requested

MrBourne

Private
Minuteman
Jan 15, 2011
I am looking at a 2004 Dodge Ram 2500. It has 113,xxx miles, and as far as I know, it has a clean title.

This seems to be my dream truck. I'm pretty excited...maybe in the next week or two, I'll be the proud owner of a Dodge Ram. If any of you has any advice on what to look for if I go take a look at this truck, let me know. I am open to any and all advice. This would be my first diesel, so I'm not exactly sure what to look for. Thank you!

edited: I felt stupid asking for a carfax and shouldn't have done it. So I edited this post.
smile.gif

Re: Could someone run a carfax for me?

Run it yourself new guy!

Its only $15 to $20 bucks. If you cant afford the carfax, you cant afford the vehicle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MrBourne</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> This would be my first diesel. </div></div>

Have deep pockets is the best advice you'll get as a first time diesel owner. Diesels require a lot more maintenance than a gasser.

Carfax is a waste of time and money for a diesel. I don't know what Dodge calls it but they have their own internal system (Ford calls theirs OASIS) take that VIN to a Dodge dealership and ask them for whatever they call their internal system report. It'll show you a lot more than a carfax including every time the truck was in a Dodge dealership for a new flash or any TSB/recall work along with a bunch of other info.

Hit the Dodge diesel forums and figure out what the common problems on that truck are and plan accordingly because there will be a good handful. Some gauges and a ScangaugeII will save you a lot of money in the long run.

Call your insurance company. I haven't done this but was told that they also have more info than you could get out of a carfax and supposedly they will do it for free.

The absolute best advice you can get is simple. You need to find a top notch diesel mechanic. Now remember these guys(the best ones) make good money. Offer him at least $100 to $150 to take a look at a truck for you. Offer to buy him a meal also. It will be the best $150 you ever spent in your life.

DO NOT GO CHEAP on the mechanic or the price. Hire the best guy around. If you don't know who he is then find out. Do your own leg work. Or be prepared for possible massive mechanic bills. Remember one thing-a gas engine mechanic IS NOT a diesel mechanic.

MOST PEOPLE do not sell diesels with that type of milage. They keep them. Unless there is a problem. Not all the time this is the case. But most of the time it is.

A CarFax is a waste of your money. Most mechanics who may have done work will not have contributed to CarFax. And no individuals contribute to it. It is a gimmick!! Tom.

Carfax is a joke. I have two cars in my stall right now this very minute. One is a 2009 Ford Fusion with a Carfax hit, it is in perfect shape and you would need to be a to be a pro to find the repair as it was fixed perfectly. I have a 2010 Ford Focus that has a clean Carfax and put it up on the rack and has had MAJOR repair done on the left rear. Complete with Bondo, poorly done fiberglass, and I think smeared dog shit. Don't trust a carfax for anything. You would be better off just taking it to your local dealership and ask them for a used car safety inspection. They will know what you are talking about. It should run between $80 and $150. Now that will be worth it.

Do you pull or haul anything? Do you need the gobs of torque that it produces? I, like you thought I found my F250 quad-cab diesel dream truck. Then I called the previous owner, called a couple diesel specialty shops, and I told them the flat honest truth. . . I want it because it's cool and I like the sound and that the engine will last for 400k miles.

It WILL, but you'll pay for it they said. For the F250 at least, one diesel mechanic told me, for even some moderate work, they remove the truck cab.
shocked.gif
YEAH! The consensus was, buy a gas for what I do. Diesel cost a bunch to buy, and even more to own. I didn't buy it, and I don't miss the truck now! YOu can afford to buy it, but can you afford to own it?

I know how you feel, I really do!! So, unless you can write it off as a business expense, you haul big loads, you are independently wealthy, get a gas truck.

Best of luck!

-G45

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Glock45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you pull or haul anything? Do you need the gobs of torque that it produces? I, like you thought I found my F250 quad-cab diesel dream truck. Then I called the previous owner, called a couple diesel specialty shops, and I told them the flat honest truth. . . I want it because it's cool and I like the sound and that the engine will last for 400k miles.

It WILL, but you'll pay for it they said. For the F250 at least, one diesel mechanic told me, for even some moderate work, they remove the truck cab.
shocked.gif
YEAH! The consensus was, buy a gas for what I do. Diesel cost a bunch to buy, and even more to own. I didn't buy it, and I don't miss the truck now! YOu can afford to buy it, but can you afford to own it?

I know how you feel, I really do!! So, unless you can write it off as a business expense, you haul big loads, you are independently wealthy, get a gas truck.

Best of luck!

-G45</div></div> Did a turbo on one and that is how I did it. Pretty easy really just took it down to a two side post rack, ran it up, took off all the cab bolts got two long bolts and cut the heads off of them and ran them up the holes (aligns them real well when the cab gets lowered)pulled off the steering shaft and lowered it down reset the rack and lifted the cab. badabing lotsa room

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Glock45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

shocked.gif
YEAH! The consensus was, buy a gas for what I do. Diesel cost a bunch to buy, and even more to own. I didn't buy it, and I don't miss the truck now! YOu can afford to buy it, but can you afford to own it?</div></div>

The only reason to remove the cab on an F250 6.0/4/7 is if you have some serious HPOP problems. Everything including, turbo, head gaskets/studs, IPR, ICP, and the million other things that could go wrong can all be done without removing the cab. Even the glow plug rails can be done without removing the cab. Removing the cab is done to make it easier but it's not necessary at all.

Here's a pic (notice the cab is on and how much room you have) of my F350 half put back together after having done an EGR by-pass, oil cooler, ICP and rebuilding the turbo. Easy job to do yourself and with new oil cooler and new ICP I was only out about 8 hours and ~$250... An honest shop would have charged around $1500. Do a lot of simple maintenance an it'll last. It's cheap if you're willing to doing the wrenching.

k3q3ph.jpg

Side note: A lot of diesel guys usually just take the front wheels off and lower it to the ground to work on it easier but again not necessary and I find that doing that just adds a ton of time to the over-all time.

Well, that's cool! Hey, being a non-car/truck type of guy, that just sounded like a lot of work to take off the cab. I wouldn't have tackled much on my own had I got the truck.

That's why I like working on motorbikes, I can fit a bunch of them in my garage at one time, everything is fairly easy to get to. Even better, working on guns in my basement.
smile.gif

Thanks for sharing guys!

-G45

After reading up on diesel trucks and some of the stuff you guys have said as well as talking to a few of my co-workers, I am now rethinking getting a diesel right now. Someday, I would love to own one, but at this point in my life, I'm not sure I want to pour alot of money in a diesel. Would it be worth it? Probably. But I don't want all my discretionary earnings to be eaten up by a truck cuz I like guns, too.
smile.gif
I'm sure most of you can relate.

So new thought: I'm considering between a 2003-2004 Dodge Ram 1500 with the 5.7L Hemi. I hear its a quick yet pretty powerful truck. Like Glock45 said, I was considering the diesel because it sounds beefy and lasts a ton of miles. But now, I'm rethinking and leaning toward the 5.7L Hemi. Thoughts?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MrBourne</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After reading up on diesel trucks and some of the stuff you guys have said as well as talking to a few of my co-workers, I am now rethinking getting a diesel right now. Someday, I would love to own one, but at this point in my life, I'm not sure I want to pour alot of money in a diesel. Would it be worth it? Probably. But I don't want all my discretionary earnings to be eaten up by a truck cuz I like guns, too.
smile.gif
I'm sure most of you can relate.

So new thought: I'm considering between a 2003-2004 Dodge Ram 1500 with the 5.7L Hemi. I hear its a quick yet pretty powerful truck. Like Glock45 said, I was considering the diesel because it sounds beefy and lasts a ton of miles. But now, I'm rethinking and leaning toward the 5.7L Hemi. Thoughts?

</div></div>

After owning Dodge diesel truck's since 1996 (current truck is a 2003 dieel) I can only say if you are not hauling ALOT DON'T DO IT. I had no problems with my 96 Dodge. I wish I could say the same about the 03. Nothing but repair bill after repair bill. I would love to dump the damn thing but it is paid for. The repair bills are high but still cheaper than a new one. My wife works at a dealrship, the Carfax is a joke. Oh yes my last fill up, with a quarter tank remaining was $104.00. Diesel's do get better mileage but not much. Diesel here is $3.99 9/10 so $4.00 per gallon.

I have an 04 Duramax with 133K miles. It was the nicest truck I have ever owned up to 100K miles, after that it has been a money pit. The flywheel broke in half, and I have had to replace the glow plug controller, the heater actuator, both front hubs, both batteries, the injector harness, the pitman and idler arms, left front door check, left front door lamp, left headlamp bulb 3 times, and tailgate latch.

Everything cost 2 or 3 times as much on a diesel truck, oil changes, fuel filters, tires. Fuel is more expensive, which I don't understand since there are more gallons of diesel to a barrel of oil and it's easier to refine.

Other than that knock yourself out and buy a diesel, they will pull or haul anything. Mine will climb anything, that is as long as it isn't broken down.

I have 2007 dodge 5.9L. I found the opposite myself. IF you take it to the dealer your normal maintenance costs will be high, so do it yourself. $10 to rotate your tires at walmart, $32 dollars for 4 gallons of Mobil Delvac, $13 for a donaldson extended life oil filter, $10 for a fleetguard 7 Micron absolute fuel filter, and you do it yourself.

Now, I did spend about 2K putting in upgraded aftermarket parts, but that only makes the truck more reliable and fuel efficient. Don't chip it, and don't drive like a fool and it's all cool and the gang.... The weak link on a dodge is the tranny. Most guys that blow one chip their truck, but never upgrade the tranny to handle what the chip will give them.

Fuel is a little more expensive, but I'm getting 20MPG +/- and my truck only has 37K miles on it, not even broken in yet. a 5.9l cummins is a million mile engine, there's plenty out there that have hit that.

NOT to turn this into a pissing match about brand loyalty but most diesel mechanics will tell you that they have more fords and chevy's coming into their shop than dodges (5.9L) because of the simplicity of an inline six as opposed to a V8.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 18Echo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have 2007 dodge 5.9L. I found the opposite myself. IF you take it to the dealer your normal maintenance costs will be high, so do it yourself. $10 to rotate your tires at walmart, $32 dollars for 4 gallons of Mobil Delvac, $13 for a donaldson extended life oil filter, $10 for a fleetguard 7 Micron absolute fuel filter, and you do it yourself.

</div></div>

I do all of my own work, except the flywheel & clutch because I don't have a place to pull the tranny and transfer case. I wish fuel filters were $10 for my truck, the cheapest I have found are $50 at Autozone. I stopped changing my oil recently because it's worth the extra money to not have to deal with disposing of the used oil.

I've got an 09 F-250 6.4L King Ranch and it might be the easiest vehicle I've had in the maintenance dept. I do all the maintenance on it because its easy and alot cheaper then taking it to the stealership.

Oil every 8k with Mobile 1 syn
fuel filters every other oil change
drain water seperator once a month

$50 dollar fuel filters...ouch! I put in an auxiliary fuel filter between the stock housing and my CP3, I'm running a CAT 2 micron absolute filter (as 4 micron will damage an injector and those are EXPENSIVE). I ran a fuel pressure gauge to let me know when I need to change out the CAT.

IMG_2581.jpg

IMG_2580.jpg

I also put in an Aux. oil filter to keep everything running clean. I want to put in a water separator between my fuel tank and OEM filter, but I'll need to upgrade my fuel pump for that, hopefully with a mechanical one timed with a belt.

BTW dropping off your used oil at an autozone or other parts store is free.

Ya, at this point, looks like diesel is out of the picture for me. I can't justify spending that much just for the manly sounding engine, since I won't be towing anything heavy.

So something like the '04 Ram w/ the 5.7l hemi...is maintenance higher than average for that, too? I'd possibly consider a Toyota Tacoma TRD, but its a little too small of a truck for my liking. I want something beefy
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Truckman11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've got an 09 F-250 6.4L King Ranch and it might be the easiest vehicle I've had in the maintenance dept. I do all the maintenance on it because its easy and alot cheaper then taking it to the stealership.

Oil every 8k with Mobile 1 syn
fuel filters every other oil change
drain water seperator once a month

</div></div>

Mobil 1 synth is pretty expensive to change every 8K miles. I'd throw on an AUX oil filter, a donaldson extended drain filter, and do an oil analysis with TBN testing, and let the lab tell me when to change it. Mostly they'll tell you to change your oil filter, top off and re-test in another ***** miles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MrBourne</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ya, at this point, looks like diesel is out of the picture for me. I can't justify spending that much just for the manly sounding engine, since I won't be towing anything heavy.

So something like the '04 Ram w/ the 5.7l hemi...is maintenance higher than average for that, too? I'd possibly consider a Toyota Tacoma TRD, but its a little too small of a truck for my liking. I want something beefy
smile.gif
</div></div>

I have an 04 Ram 2500 4X4 with the 5.7 Hemi.
It averages about 11-12 mpg in town and about 14 on the highway.
If you don't do your own work to have the fluids engine oil, tranny, transfer and both diff's changed runs about $900. I have only had two problems so far the rear diff seal leaked because the rear diff was over filled. I need to replace the fuse box because water gets thrown up on it causing the connections to corrode. As a result I have lost my right rear trailer lights. So after about 7 years I need a new fuse box and that about it. Not to bad in my book.

The thing that does suck is the gas! A friend has a diesel truck Ram 2500 with a cummings if I remember correctly. He gets about 18 in town and 20 on the highway. I am a lead foot driver so my driving style leaves something to be desired and I have upgraded in tire size to about a 33-34" equivalent with 4/10 gears (off road package).

I will be honest I did not read most any of the responses. I have a 2006 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins Quadcab Longbed with a 6speed stick and that Bitch is F&^King BADASS! It is a friggen Beast! I bought it with 800miles short of 100,000 and I love it. Yes Diesels will run you more for maintenance but it is so worth it. Buy the damn truck post pics and you will never regret it! Good Luck

Now I will read some of the prev post.

Re: Considering a diesel truck...advice requested

I purchased a 2006 Ford F250 with the 6.0 from a dealer in FL. The truck was branded/totaled just because someone stole the seats, carpet, door panels, hood and sliding back glass switch. The truck had 36000 miles on it and I purchased it for $10,000. This is the best truck I've had. The only problem I've had, was the fuel jelled in KS @ -25 below 0 and 30 mph winds. Purchased some fuel treatment and made it 890 miles. I had to replace 2 injectors on the same side, so I had the whole side replaced. I've been out $1500.00 for the injectors and labor and $1100.00 to replace the stolen items. I've since then added 25000 miles with no problems. The fuel price sucks, but the truck is ass kickin'. I've since had a $12,000.00 paint job added.

What is diesel running these days? As opposed to gas and looking at my fuel mileage it still might be a better deal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stefan73</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is diesel running these days? As opposed to gas and looking at my fuel mileage it still might be a better deal. </div></div>

Its $4/gallon where I am. Gas is like $3.70.

The hemi runs on mid grade gas unless you are using a programmer but I am not sure how well that really works.

Stefan, big part of your fuel mileage is probably the 4.10 gears. Unless you tow real heavy stuff, the standard 3.50 or 3.73 gears are much better for fuel miles.

My diesel trucks? lets see:

92 F250 - stolen after 2 weeks
92 F250 - stolen 6 months later!!!
93 F250 - sold with 160k miles
94 F250 turbo, sold with 200k miles, kept as spare truck for a while
99 F250 sold with 120k miles
2001 F250 Platinum - sold with 130k miles
2004 F250 King Ranch - sold with 105k miles - two wrecks, neither my fault, one was hit in the parking lot at work by 18 wheeler, the other rear-ended on frwy in traffic, by an F350 pulling a gooseneck.
2007 F350 King Ranch, sold with 170K miles, original brakes, new set of tires ( replaced at 75 and 150k ). MULTIPLE theft attempts, all foiled by superior technology.
2011 F350 Lariat, six weeks old, 9500 miles already!!!

If you tow heavy things, need 4x4, cover lots of miles, then diesels are for you. The 2011 is great truck, better mileage than any of the others. Intentionally skipped 2008-2010 models due to sucky engine features, poor mileage, bad reports.

Want it go a million miles? easy, DON'T CHIP IT! You can't have a hot rod and durability both. Change the oil on time or early, don't skip fuel filter changes, unless you like buying injectors. Brakes are overbuilt to stop heavy loads, but be ready for higher invoices when you need something.

I wouldn't buy one just for the he-man sound, I actaully LIKE that the new truck is as quiet as a gas engine.

Mikee,

After that many thefts, I think I would move.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: onechance</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've since had a $12,000.00 paint job added. </div></div>

Wait.. What? Surely you misplaced that comma and decimal..

OK I saw this post and I would like to post my 2 cents on the subject. I have worked on a LOT of Ford diesel trucks. Many of the engine I work on are either 7.3 or 6.0 diesels. I can tell you right now that Ford has sued International over the 6.0 diesel.

If you are going to buy a diesel I would go with the dodge with the cummins engine. I worked for cummins for almost 13 years. I started working on the Dodge Cummins turbo diesel from the very begining. They are very dependable engines and they are just getting better. Again this is just my opinion. I have enclosed a video you might like on the Dodge Cummins 6.7 diesel. This is the first of 6 parts.

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/CumminsEngines#p/c/70DC491990BA30F0/0/UEVXcrZ8Vxk[/video]

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SFC Carpentier jr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK I saw this post and I would like to post my 2 cents on the subject. I have worked on a LOT of Ford diesel trucks. Many of the engine I work on are either 7.3 or 6.0 diesels. I can tell you right now that Ford has sued International over the 6.0 diesel.

If you are going to buy a diesel I would go with the dodge with the cummins engine. I worked for cummins for almost 13 years. I started working on the Dodge Cummins turbo diesel from the very begining. They are very dependable engines and they are just getting better. Again this is just my opinion. I have enclosed a video you might like on the Dodge Cummins 6.7 diesel. This is the first of 6 parts.

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/CumminsEngines#p/c/70DC491990BA30F0/0/UEVXcrZ8Vxk[/video] </div></div>

I haven't heard of this lawsuit?? Do you have a source? What's the basis for the suit?

Too bad Ford can't use their own engines (Cummings). I think that's the worst deal they ever made in terms of diesels. I mean International (and sometimes Navistar) is a good company but to have your awesome engines going into Dodge trucks making them reliable instead of your own trucks is just stupid! Then Ford tries to bail it's self out by doing the in-house Scorpion and so far it's just "OK"...

The new Ford diesel is getting better then just ok reviews.

If your not going to be pulling heavy loads alot then a diesel will NOT benifet you. I'm sitting in a 06 custom dodge right now letting it run all day long too. Had a u-joint brake and tear up other stuff and that is my only trouble. We have a car dealership (wholesale) back home and sell to alot of business's and fleets and such and many of them are going to gas burners in their 1 tons. They say it is cheaper that route, even though they are gettins slightly better mileage the maintiance, parts, and anything else upsets the price to go towards the gassers. I will probably keep this trucks but I am getting a gasser too. I pull a travel trailer all across the country but when I'm just sitting out here on the right of way it doesnt benifit me. It just costs. I would advise against the diesel unless needed

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Truckman11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The new Ford diesel is getting better then just ok reviews. </div></div>

DPF sensor problems, 400/800 flash = lower fuel mileage (14-16) and hard shifts, tranny problems, countless HPFP failures, typical fan clutch failures, NOX sensor problems and I've seen more than a few 'making oil' which means piezo leaks. So yeah other than all of that plus a huge list of TSBs on other stuff, it's a great engine. The only place where "The new Ford diesel is getting better then just ok reviews" is in magazines... If you work in the industry or have one (I do, and have one, a 2011 6.7 that I'm currently trading in) you see the reality. Yes, once Ford gets out of their first year blues, I'm sure it'll end up being better than previous engines but for now the Scorpion is a turd but it's also way better than the 6.4.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Truckman11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The new Ford diesel is getting better then just ok reviews. </div></div>

DPF sensor problems, 400/800 flash = lower fuel mileage (14-16) and hard shifts, tranny problems, countless HPFP failures, typical fan clutch failures, NOX sensor problems and I've seen more than a few 'making oil' which means piezo leaks. So yeah other than all of that plus a huge list of TSBs on other stuff, it's a great engine. The only place where "The new Ford diesel is getting better then just ok reviews" is in magazines... If you work in the industry or have one (I do, and have one, a 2011 6.7 that I'm currently trading in) you see the reality. Yes, once Ford gets out of their first year blues, I'm sure it'll end up being better than previous engines but for now the Scorpion is a turd but it's also way better than the 6.4. </div></div>

Wow.....sounds like you got a lemon. My dad has a 2011 and its only needed one reflash.Not too shabby for a job 1 truck. The thing has been awesome. He's getting 18 mpg all day long. I've got an 09 with the 6.4 and the only complaint is mpg. The thing will pull anything I hook up to it. Regens get a little old but you get use to it. IMHO when it comes to fit and finish of the truck nothing even comes close to the ford

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Truckman11</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Truckman11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The new Ford diesel is getting better then just ok reviews. </div></div>

DPF sensor problems, 400/800 flash = lower fuel mileage (14-16) and hard shifts, tranny problems, countless HPFP failures, typical fan clutch failures, NOX sensor problems and I've seen more than a few 'making oil' which means piezo leaks. So yeah other than all of that plus a huge list of TSBs on other stuff, it's a great engine. The only place where "The new Ford diesel is getting better then just ok reviews" is in magazines... If you work in the industry or have one (I do, and have one, a 2011 6.7 that I'm currently trading in) you see the reality. Yes, once Ford gets out of their first year blues, I'm sure it'll end up being better than previous engines but for now the Scorpion is a turd but it's also way better than the 6.4. </div></div>

Wow.....sounds like you got a lemon. My dad has a 2011 and its only needed one reflash.Not too shabby for a job 1 truck. The thing has been awesome. He's getting 18 mpg all day long. I've got an 09 with the 6.4 and the only complaint is mpg. The thing will pull anything I hook up to it. Regens get a little old but you get use to it. IMHO when it comes to fit and finish of the truck nothing even comes close to the ford </div></div>

I wasn't referring to my 6.7. I was telling you what the common problems with the 6.7s are...

We did a poll not too long ago and the only people getting 18 in town were the ones going off the in-dash gauge. The people doing the hard math are getting 14-16. Regens on 6.4s are out of control but when the NOX sensor in a 6.7 goes bad you get nearly constant regens which is way worse than even a bad 6.4.

I do agree with you though that the Fords are put together better than the other brands and once they unfuck the problems with the first year 6.7 I hope it'll be a good engine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Truckman11</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Truckman11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The new Ford diesel is getting better then just ok reviews. </div></div>

Wow.....sounds like you got a lemon. My dad has a 2011 and its only needed one reflash.Not too shabby for a job 1 truck. The thing has been awesome. He's getting 18 mpg all day long. I've got an 09 with the 6.4 and the only complaint is mpg. The thing will pull anything I hook up to it. Regens get a little old but you get use to it. IMHO when it comes to fit and finish of the truck nothing even comes close to the ford </div></div>

I wasn't referring to my 6.7. I was telling you what the common problems with the 6.7s are...

We did a poll not too long ago and the only people getting 18 in town were the ones going off the in-dash gauge. The people doing the hard math are getting 14-16. Regens on 6.4s are out of control but when the NOX sensor in a 6.7 goes bad you get nearly constant regens which is way worse than even a bad 6.4.

I do agree with you though that the Fords are put together better than the other brands and once they unfuck the problems with the first year 6.7 I hope it'll be a good engine. </div></div>

Ok .....well my dad hasn't seen any of those problems except for a reflash. The 18 is highway thats pretty much all he drives.

My 6.4 goes into regen once every tank full.Sometimes its a pain in the ass but I don't think thats out of control

What the diesel costs in maintenance (which isnt much since I do it all myself) makes up for in trade in value. Diesel trucks hold there value a LOT better than gassers.

Every few weeks I will get a DPF needing a regen using my Tech 2. you would not believe the heat that comes out of the exhaust. That is a whole bunch of unused fuel just getting dumped into the exhaust (air).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Truckman11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Ok .....well my dad hasn't seen any of those problems except for a reflash. The 18 is highway thats pretty much all he drives.

My 6.4 goes into regen once every tank full.Sometimes its a pain in the ass but I don't think thats out of control </div></div>

Yeah, it's just the common problems we're seeing not all of them have problems obviously. Your regens sound about right for the 6.4, so I think you're OK there. Just watch it but you shoudl still have warranty so... I know a lot of guys who are currently running 6.4s and plan on trading them off just before warranty is up because that's going to be a super expensive engine to work on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Every few weeks I will get a DPF needing a regen using my Tech 2. you would not believe the heat that comes out of the exhaust. That is a whole bunch of unused fuel just getting dumped into the exhaust (air). </div></div>

Have you had one come in with the piezo stuck open (flame throwers)? Those are the fun ones that burn other cars at stoplights.

I run a 2001 ford excursion with a 7.3 diesel I have had it since new and have had almost no problems with it. It weighs 8,000lbs and i still get 19 mpg on the freeway. Its 4x4 with 315 tires a DP tuner. Its got 165,000 miles and I expect to get that many miles again before i retire her. Sure oil changes cost more but but overall i would take this over the gas model any day. especially when my friends that bought gas models all sold them because gas version got less than 10mpg

I've had a 2001 F-350 4X4 with 7.3 turbo since new and it now has 125,000 on it. Probably the best pickup I've ever owned. Have done all the preventative maintenance required (tranny flush, cooling system flush, lube service every 3000 miles etc.) Replacing the injector wire lume has been the biggest ticket. Was going to trade this year but changed my mind when I saw the price and the crap with the urea injection. Like said before I'll keep this one and get a F-350 gasser.

Do a search and you will fine the suit filed by Ford. The reason for the lawsuit was the 6.0 engine. I am sure you have worked on a few of them and you know what the problems are.

As for Ford owning Cummins, at one time ford had stock in Cummins (not very much), but now like it has been posted Cummins is its own company and now is very strong.

Again if you need a diesel I would look at the Cummins in the Dodge pickup.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: swarrick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
HIGH BINDER

FORD does NOT own Cummins. Ford owned -10% of Cummins, but that was back in 2005 and have senice sold off all there shares. Cummins owns Cummins all that ford owns cummins is internet BS.

http://moneycentral.msn.com/ownership?Symbol=US:CMI </div></div>

OK. Last I heard Ford did so I was going off that. Doesn't change the fact that Ford SHOULD use Cummings engines though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bronco</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I saw the price and the crap with the urea injection. </div></div>

and it really is a crap system.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SFC Carpentier jr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do a search and you will fine the suit filed by Ford. The reason for the lawsuit was the 6.0 engine. I am sure you have worked on a few of them and you know what the problems are.
</div></div>

I've actually only worked on mine. I just work in the industry.

Here's the info on the suit:

<span style="color: #3333FF">Last week, (back in 2007) Ford filed a lawsuit against Navistar, the maker of the Power Stroke diesel engines offered in the Super Duty pickups. The suit alleges non-compliance with warranty cost-sharing and "unjustifiably" raising prices on the new 6.4 Power Stroke offered in the '08 Super Duty models.

The suit also alleges that Navistar has threatened to cut off Ford's supply of engines if Ford does not pay the price the company is demanding.</span>

So it's about the 6.4 not the 6.0.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: swarrick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
HIGH BINDER

FORD does NOT own Cummins. Ford owned -10% of Cummins, but that was back in 2005 and have senice sold off all there shares. Cummins owns Cummins all that ford owns cummins is internet BS.

http://moneycentral.msn.com/ownership?Symbol=US:CMI </div></div>

OK. Last I heard Ford did so I was going off that. Doesn't change the fact that Ford SHOULD use Cummings engines though. </div></div>

That would be pretty cool if you had the option to put a Cummins in your Ford truck from the factory.
I know of a couple of company's that will do it after the fact

The 7.3 Fords are GOOD trucks and engines. I love the ford look, but the engines....meh....

There is a company out there that sells kits to put cummins in fords, just google it. a used cummins in a crate will run around 5K and then the kit I think was a couple more, but it included a full wiring harness and whatever else it needed to work.

Love my 5.9L cummins, I searched for close to a year to find a 2007 5.9L. Got a 3500 megacab single rear with only 9K miles on it for 32K. Blue book is still at around 30K.