• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Considering a FN PBR

barrysuperhawk

Proud Member of the WFTDTSG club
Minuteman
Aug 4, 2007
Central Illinois
A local shop has a .308 FN PBR, 18" with the brake on the wall and I am trying to talk myself into or out of it.

Currently I shoot 3 gun and high-power, but I would like to find some type of match to shoot scoped rifle. My home range only goes to 200Y, but I am hoping if I can find a rifle that works for me, it would be worth my while to travel a bit to seek out new matches to shoot a scoped rifle at.

What I want is a good target gun that could do double duty in sniper/MOR class competitions. I have had other rifles before and have found things I didn't like about them, so now I am checking things out first. I want a rifle that has these features, without having to wait on a gunsmith or having to mortgage the house to get it. I want a brake, integrated mount, detachable mag and a synthetic stock.

My history:
I bought a Remington P17. It was cool, but damn heavy and not a particularly accurate example.
Then I had a Howa 1500, and it was a great rifle, but I wanted a detachable box mag and a faster twist barrel.
Then I bought a CZ 527. It was nicer, but that odd ass set trigger didn't agree with me.
Then I tried a Savage, but again, the (accu)trigger was my downfall - nothing wrong with the gun, just not my thing. I also wasn't a fan of the long-action .308.
Then I bought a Sako, and it has a brake, but no detachable magazine, and the fixed mag is wonky. The scope mounting also leaves a bit to be desired.

So, the PBR seems to have the features I want [brake, integrated mount, detachable mag] and I have heard that they can be as accurate as any other out of the box rifle. I have also seem posts about epoxy on the trigger adjustment screws and questions about the bedding. Last, I was hoping for more than a 4 round magazine, but I don't really want to mess with changing bottom metal, if I don't have to. [Yeah, I am a graduate of the WECSOG, and I am hell with a dremel, so getting something that is complete is a better idea..] I would love to have a GAP rifle, but if I had the cash for that I wouldn't be here agonizing about a deal on a PBR...

So, what are your opinions?

Re: Considering a FN PBR

Great rifle if you replace everything except the action, trigger and scope base.

I bought 2 FNPBR, one USMC sniper bought 2 and the link below is to another friend also a USMC sniper that bought 10. We all put them in Hogue over mold stocks no torque wrench applied mine all shot about a half at 100yds and I shot under 1 MOA or better at 300yds. We are all amazed ( I have allot of name rifles AI, Surgeon action builds, Blasers etc) the link below is to the fellow who bought 10, his evaluation is below, he does not give away praise easily. See his credentials on forum index under instructor.

“The gun shoots nice. I shot a 1 7/8" group at 300 yds with it. But the mags are its weak link. They really do suck ass. Out of the box it shoots as good as the M40. And it costs a lot less. Chucky, one question, is it worth $500-$1000 to shoot a 1/8" group instead of a 1/2" group?”

The magazines are not good nor is the scope rings but the fellow at CDI has a sale on his bottom metal for magazines takes (AI Mags need to verify if that AICS). ALL bottom metal is $209 Shipped Free in the US. AI Mags are $70 for 5 rounders and $75 for 10 rounders (Must be purchased with bottom metal)...

http://www.cdiprecisiongunworks.com

Shoot the barrel out working on position, trigger pull etc., then as funds become available add a barrel, stock etc

www.longrangeinternational.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=323&start=30

I have two of the PBR XR's, one in 308 and one in 300WSM, that I have been very happy with and I use them on hunts and as "beaters" (as in, I can't bring myself to take and shoot a shitty rifle...but don't want to bring a $4500 16lb work of gunsmithing art out to ______). As mentioned, the accuracy with no modifications is very solid, and they don't require a second mortgage. The Hogue stocks have been fine and are comfortable to hold and quiet to stalk with. I'd put them in the "performs disproportionally well" category of my guns that shoot way better than what I paid for them. I noticed that for some reason, both of them perform particularly well with Federal Fusion ammo for hunts. The triggers on mine have been pretty good, and although they're no finely-tuned Jewel, if someone can't shoot it well...it isn't the trigger on the PBR. As was mentioned, too, it's a rifle that you can actually build on (if desired) over time. I couldn't agree more with Unsichtbar when he says, "shoot the barrel out" and THEN add the extras.

Ok, so the consensus is that the FN is a decent rifle to shoot. but it's not perfect, and I am better off with the CDI metal rather than the stock mags.

<RANT> Why the HECK isn't there a Sub-$1000 rifle that doesent have a fatal flaw or needs a bunch of massaging? Bolt rifles are not rocket science, so for the 90% of us that don't 1/8 MOA accuracy, dang it, make me a rifle..</RANT>

I bought one and put it in one of those McMillan A3's they had a internet special on a while back. My buddy is putting in a CDI bottom metal and some pillars for me right now. I'm gonna glass bed it when i get it back. It's a real slick setup and I'm happy with it. I got a pretty good deal on the barreled action(CDNN) and the after market gizmos. HAppy with the gun thus far.

I want to buy another barrel for it. I plan on shooting the shit out of it once I get it back. I'm thinking a Bartlein, either a 18'' or maybe a 21''. Any one have thoughts on that?

Local shop has a 20" model here, no brake, nice looking gun. Heard nothing but good about them, aside the detach mag setup is poor. Better to get the drop free floorplate or plan on doing an aftermarket mag setup.

Depending on what the want check out CDNN, they have most models available of the FN's all under $750 quite the deal.

Creature,

I am having a couple of FN SPR actions built up with Bartlein barrels and McMillan and Manners stocks. I don't think you will be disappointed with the Bartlein barrels.

You are very close to N. Kansas City where GA Precision is located. GAP fits a LOT of Bartlein barrels to various actions including the SPR/PBR's. They are backed up until August for new work like this, I believe. I called them last week to order a couple of barrels for the AI AW and was told to wait until August to place the order.

Darin Reiss
FFL/SOT in Haysville, KS

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DarinR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Creature,

I am having a couple of FN SPR actions built up with Bartlein barrels and McMillan and Manners stocks. I don't think you will be disappointed with the Bartlein barrels.

You are very close to N. Kansas City where GA Precision is located. GAP fits a LOT of Bartlein barrels to various actions including the SPR/PBR's. They are backed up until August for new work like this, I believe. I called them last week to order a couple of barrels for the AI AW and was told to wait until August to place the order.

Darin Reiss
FFL/SOT in Haysville, KS </div></div>

I have a friend who is doing some work for me in Topeka. Not a commercial gunsmith but does real good work. I've heard nothing but good things of GAP tho. I think there's a little bit of a wait for the barrels though. Now I'm thinking about starting out a new rifle on one of those SPR actions. Decisions, decisions.

Consider the Remington 700 PSS with detachable mag in .308

They shoot 0.5-0.75moa pretty consistently (i'm sure on good days you can get below 0.5, but that is the realm of custom rifles usually).

Also, used they run for about 700-800, and with the PSS you won't have to replace anything. The barrel is also heavier than the one on the PBR, the PBR is heavier than hunting but lighter than varmint (which is what the 700PSS has).

The PSS stock is also way way better than the cheap hogue stocks the PBRs use.

It is decent I have a PBR 24" barrel. Shoots good out the box, the guys at FNH USA told me Federal #308M 168gr. HPBT Match ammo accuracy spec. is 1.5" @100yds.

I would get a savage 10FCP HS precision and replace the trigger, probably your cheapest option to get a shooter and have a decent DBM system.

Or a howa with CDI bottom metal, the 1 in 12 Barrel is ok, I get .5 moa with 150 gr ammo (Rem corlokt of all things :D), I have a Compact Varminter.

The PBR mags do suck, BAD.. and the barrel heats up quickly due to the narrower profile.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what is MOR class.......? </div></div>

Manually Operated Rifle

I have also been considering the PBR and I was glad to run into this recent discussion. May I ask,...does the bottom metal from CDI fit for the PBR? The CDI site says that he has bottom metal for the SPR. Is the area the same for the PBR or is there some inletting/fitting etc that had to be done?

Thanks
lc

PBR and SPR are basically the same, so yes.

Inletting and fitting is required for the CDi no matter which action you use.

My barrel seems to shoot sub MOA just fine, and I haven't had any problems with it getting too hot to shoot. Damn rifle shoots better than I do.

I have a PBR XP.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">PBR and SPR are basically the same, so yes.

Inletting and fitting is required for the CDi no matter which action you use.

My barrel seems to shoot sub MOA just fine, and I haven't had any problems with it getting too hot to shoot. Damn rifle shoots better than I do.

I have a PBR XP.</div></div>

Thanks for the info, Downzero!! That is helpful.
lc

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Brakes are not allowed in High power. </div></div>

...unless the range holding the highpower matches is so desperate for shooters that they will allow damn near anything on the line just to fill the line....
eek.gif