• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Considering a FTE

cmnspwr

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 12, 2009
Jackson, Tennessee
My father is wanting to build a .338LM and is looking for a good break. Low recoil is a must, but low recoil and a 338LM is almost an oxymoron. What are everyone's opinions on a FTE for this caliber? Any better recommendations?

Before you provide me with links to the search engine, save the grief for both of us and do not comment.

Re: Considering a FTE

By shear design, the FTE and or similar brakes are the most efficient. The larger 90 degree surface area is what makes this type of brake work so good. As brakes get smaller in diameter the surface area also gets smaller. As the 90 degree surface area gets smaller, recoil reduction also decreases. Several years ago we built a 338 Edge for a friend’s son. The brake used was one manufactured by Defensive Edge, felt recoil was very manageable and comfortable to shoot.

I have two 338LM builds coming up, both will utilize the 338 SF Suppressor Adapter and I'm confident in saying that recoil will be a non-issue, muzzle blast and the report is another topic.

Re: Considering a FTE

I have a AWSM which has a similar break design like the FTE. Recoil isn't bad but blast and noise is something to take into consideration. Shooters on either side of you will not like you.

I have a .300WM that I'm wanting to put a FTE on it soon.

Cut