• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Considering a Win M70 for hunting, good stuff??

RobG

Douchebag Hauler
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2007
W. Sac, Kalifornia
I am looking at a used, mid 70's M70 as a hunting gun. Its in 25-06, barrel getting worn, finish is a bit worn, overall solid mechanically. I'd probably shoot it as-is for a time then rebarrel to .280. I have no experience with Win rifle's and am looking for some comment's good and bad.

Thanks

Re: Considering a Win M70 for hunting, good stuff??

In my opinion the M-70 is the best action out there.

I have several, target and hunting rifles and have no complaints what so ever.

For a hunting rifle I don't think you'll find a better rifle.

Many people do not like the push feed Winchesters. I would not hesitate to buy one if the price was right. I have several pre-64 and a few post 64 70s with the controlled feed action. They, and commercial Mausers, are my favorite hunting actions.

A real safety

A trigger that can take being exposed to the elements

Two main attributes that make it much better than a M700 for carrying around loaded.

Push feed? Here is a list of other push feed, open top receivered rifles. You make the call on whether or not that is good enough for you. M1, M14, Savage, M700/721/722/725 Remington.... The USMC M40 sniper rifles are push feed, the Army M-24 push feed... both of them are used for game that fires back at you.

I have 2 model 70 30-06 one in a hunting platform and one in a target platform. I've never had any issues and they are both push feed.

Actually, from the perspective of the people who made the choice, the M 24 and M 40 are used for game that fires back at someone else.

They are fantastic hunting rifles. My Model 70 30-06 is from my Father In Law. I have killed a few deer and pigs with it. Who knows how many deer he killed with it.

Push feed vs controlled feed is not an issue. Dont know why people make such a big deal about it. Unless you are running while cycling the bolt or you shoot with the rifle laying on its right side, dont worry about it.

M70-2.jpg

Good enough for me! I drank the 280AI koolaid and lovin' it.
DSC01087.jpg

DSC01083.jpg

My father, uncle, and myself used only M-70 push feeds for almost a combined 100 man seasons of WV whitetail, bear, and boar hunting. They never had a failure to feed or eject. I have owned a M-70 all weather for almost 3 years now, and find either action to my liking. I feel no lack of confidence either will work just fine. With the new CRF, you can single load with an empty box mag just like the FN SPR. Buy either style with confidence if the rifle floats your boat, IMHO.

I like the 3 position safety feature for hunting out west. It lets you take a round out of the chamber safely when in and out of a vehicle. My next build (soon) will be a .280 AI. Great round.

I saw that listing- I think the price is right. I have a 25-06 that looks like hell. throat eroded and pitting in the barrel- still a MOA rifle

If that guy lived closer to me here I may have bought that one already

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joel.B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I saw that listing- I think the price is right. I have a 25-06 that looks like hell. throat eroded and pitting in the barrel- still a MOA rifle

If that guy lived closer to me here I may have bought that one already </div></div>

Cool. It seems pretty decent overall. He will knock some dough off without the scope (A cheap Tasco). He says its about 1.5 moa with factory ammo currently.